VAR a shambles already?

Chelsea v Norwich William takes the ball past the defender, Klose dives in catches the Chelsea man with his shins.  Clear contact clearly brings him down.  Penalty?

well no actually a booking and a free kick against the Brazilian.

VAR footage gets shown ok live TV and they back the hopeless ref.

utter shambles, when they can’t even get this right it’s timw to back to the drawing board.

11 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

Klose was already on the ground when Willian tripped over him, they give penalties for that these days but it is just another form of cheating. The contact was Willian on Klose not the other way round.

Pish, klose slid in as William took the ball past him.  Penalty all day long

8 hours ago, Wrangodog said:

Klose was already on the ground when Willian tripped over him, they give penalties for that these days but it is just another form of cheating. The contact was Willian on Klose not the other way round.

Klose admitted in his post match interview it should have been a penalty. Other than that decision, the ref had a good game with Chelsea players diving all over the joint.

Bin VAR, load of s**te.

39 minutes ago, david mcbeth said:

Thought the ref got most of it right, especially sending off that twat Morata. And still the pundits moan "there was contact so it's a penalty". The Norwich player grabbed at the fecker's shirt making a fleeting contact. If there was anything at all in it, Morata would have been pulled back slightly - instead he projects forward at 100mph and starts rolling around on the deck. They are all a shower of cheating prima donna bastards - VAR should be used to select cheats for knee-capping rather than to "correct" referees in-match

I thought Zola was the only one calling a definite penalty. It was great to see the second yellow shown for his reaction. You see far worse most weekends go unpunished but if more referees showed that level of backbone then it would stamp it out.

Regarding the OP, it was a really reckless tackle inside the box. The defender went to ground, missed the ball and connected with Willian's leg so he could have no complaints if a penalty was given.

The only reason I can see for the ref not giving it was that Willian clearly dragged his leg looking for the contact and I formed the impression he was half way down before the contact happened. So although the incident did tick all the boxes for a spot kick it seemed to be "engineered" by the attacker and therefore as far as the ref was concerned constituted cheating.

Just shows that all the high tech in the world can't unambiguously resolve things. In the end it is all about opinions an only the refs counts in th end. 

The mistake with the Willian decision was that the VAR didn't think he could over-rule the ref as he felt Willian was already going down --- could he not have asked the ref to have a second look for himself ?

Other than that the ref did well with the penalty decisions.

The penalty or not decision is one that will change between person to person.

Where the VAR 'failed' is in not reversing the booking for Willian diving, but I'm not sure that is the role of the VAR and that brings into question why you have it in the first place.

I think VAR is the thin end of a very thick wedge and I don't like it - any decision made during a game can have a huge impact later on e.g. a player booked incorrectly ends up being sent off for a second valid booking, this makes VAR involvement in the first booking required - an incorrect award of a goal kick instead of a shy doesn't seem huge at the time but it matters if the goalie kicks it down the park and the striker runs on and scores.

This can all happen without VAR, of course, but that it just down to one piece of split second human error and that is easier to accept than VAR decisions to get or not get involved.

It does and the whole diving area is massively grey, but I think that two of the bookings for diving last night illustrate that with a bit of common sense, Refs and VAR people can get things into perspective.

Pedro - Complete pre-meditated dive, exactly the kind that the rule was brought into stop.

Willian - A player being impeded by the opposition challenge, you don't have to be touched to be impeded and a player has the right to go into the air if he thinks it might save him injury, and it gives the referee a decision to make (which is fair enough - that's their job). He's looking to get a penalty, but that's not the same as diving (as per Pedro). a penalty, seen them given and seen them not but as a booking, it's a never for me.

Even the other booking, Morata, adds extra grey to the mix for the purpose of VAR. If it's punished as a dive that's a decision that's been made, but it's clear to VAR in the build up, the defender is using his hands and arms to interfere. That's a foul. Award that foul and the dive becomes not a dive because a foul was given.

Too complicated - just leave it to the Ref having good/bad/terrible games.

The whole point which most folk are missing about VAR is it’s there to correct clear and incorrect decisions. Even amongst the 12 previous replies there’s a difference in opinion about Willian’s penalty claim. So the ref is still the sole arbiter and it’s not a 100% clearly wrong decision. 

VAR has also been in place since start of the season in many other overseas leagues so the English involvement is a very very small proportion of the games overall it’s been applied in. To call it a shambles is a bold statement unless you have reviewed the accumulated evidence in total across the globe. 

20 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

Chelsea v Norwich William takes the ball past the defender, Klose dives in catches the Chelsea man with his shins.  Clear contact clearly brings him down.  Penalty?

well no actually a booking and a free kick against the Brazilian.

VAR footage gets shown ok live TV and they back the hopeless ref.

utter shambles, when they can’t even get this right it’s timw to back to the drawing board.

I think Shearer is agreeing with you. I thought it was a penalty, but having seen it a few times and read other posts I can see why some think it isn't.

We’ve had VAR for years in Australia. I’ve been at a game where it was used 3 times in a game.

My team conceded a penalty which then went to VAR.....we all watched it on the big screens about 6 times and they still gave the penalty even though it was a clear tackle.

Good having goal line technology, but don’t like the VAR. I’d rather see extra officials to help with decisions then play wouldn’t have to stop so much.

At the end of the day, it’s still the refs judgement so he will still make mistakes!