Rory Mckenzie to St johnstone

kfc_superteam

4 hours ago, Bullitt said:

Yeah I agree, it was a strange decision by Clark... McKenzie has been mismanaged for years under previous managers. When he first came into the team and was playing further forward he reminded me of a young Naisy. He certainly deserves at least a year to establish himself.

A young Naisy? Seriously 

18 minutes ago, Oldkillie said:

A young Naisy? Seriously 

Yeah initially when I seen him. He drove at people and committed players. I assumed he would kick on and be our next £1m player but it just didn't ever happen... maybe Naisy comparison is too far but it' just what I remember.

6 minutes ago, skygod said:

I was providing evidence of Bullit's opinion that "He drove at people and committed players. I assumed he would kick on and be our next £1m player but it just didn't ever happen... "

Try to keep up.

Keep up with what? That was Bullits last post old age catching up with you

4 hours ago, Lorielus said:

The thing is, he does do that most weeks (the pressing/defensive side), but the difference between it being effective and it making him look like a headless chicken is whether the team presses with him.  That infamous hearts game where he was a stand out was because the whole team pressed which meant whoever he was on dwelt on the ball, and he could get on them and rob them, and that's what we did together - we let them have the ball in their own half and then pressed when it reached midfield, tierney must have been sick of the sight of McKenzie by the end of the game.

This is spot on. McKenzie's work rate has never been in doubt but his game is definitely benefiting from having better players round about him but more importantly having a manager whose understanding of the game and tactical ability is miles ahead of any managers we have had for years. Our set up and style of play for games these games is generally first rate.

I was actually surprised to see him start today but he was superb and played a really key role in the victory. I think we are going to see the best of him under Clarke. 

@Lorielus, @historyman & @Bullitt have nailed it here. McKenzie has always given us 100% but the difference now is he’s playing in a much better organised team. We press our opponents and screen the defence as a unit instead of as a group of individuals. I also think his ability to commit defenders and pick a forward pass is undervalued. 

If SC had any doubts about him, yesterday should have put his mind at rest.