The Great Killie Goalies Discussion

killie1961

56 minutes ago, killie1961 said:

He was a better keeper than Jim Stewart who got picked for Scotland because he went to Middlesborough

He was capped once when he was with Killie and once while at Boro.

He was also in the 1974 World Cup squad, years before he left Killie.

McCulloch was an unused substitute in several 1980 full internationals and was supposed to play in one of the summer internationals in Poland and Hungary but had to withdraw through injury.

In September of that year, he broke his leg; but for that, he would probably have been capped.

Edited by skygod

Was the best keeper I ever saw at Killie. Should have played at a higher level as we weren't a great team when he was with us. I wonder if he ever had the opportunity to go full-time anywhere and turned it down? Wages weren't anything special in those days so maybe he thought he was better off with his job and part-time with Killie. 

11 hours ago, skygod said:

He was capped once when he was with Killie and once while at Boro.

He was also in the 1974 World Cup squad, years before he left Killie.

McCulloch was an unused substitute in several 1980 full internationals and was supposed to play in one of the summer internationals in Poland and Hungary but had to withdraw through injury.

In September of that year, he broke his leg; but for that, he would probably have been capped.

Was that against Morton midweek?, always thought it was a 50/50 with Andy Ritchie? The years may have changed my recollection! I think he was in another Scotland squad and rumoured to be starting, but had to withdraw.

6 minutes ago, historyman said:

It was Bobby Thompson that broke McCulloch's ankle. He was a really dirty swine. That got us relegated that season. 

Im trying to think who replace him as the permanent number one - was it Bobby Geddes?

Yes. Initially on loan during the 2nd div season. Became permanent thereafter.

16 minutes ago, gnasherp said:

Campbell Forsyth and Bobby Ferguson, both great keepers, both capped while with us and went on to long careers with Southampton and West Ham respectively. 

Who was Bobby Ferguson's number 2? Didn't we win the 2nd XI league cup the season we won the league too? Or did Bobby just do double duty?

38 minutes ago, CB said:

Who was Bobby Ferguson's number 2? Didn't we win the 2nd XI league cup the season we won the league too? Or did Bobby just do double duty?

Wasn't it Forsyth as Ferguson had replaced him earlier in the season and kept his place? I seem to remember that Forsyth only lost his place as he was away playing for Scotland, but may be wrong.

Forsyth played most of the championship season - Ferguson only played the last seven matches plus another - his debut - when Forsyth was on international duty (some home international matches were scheduled on the same day as league programmes). 

Ferguson kept the shirt the following season and Forsyth left for Southampton in December 1965. 

Ferguson’s deputy was possibly Ian Dick. No substitutes in those days so reserve goalies didn’t get much exposure.

Sandy McLaughlan started the 64/65 season as Forsyth’s deputy but left for Sunderland in September.

When Ferguson left for West Ham in the summer of 1967, McLaughlan was brought back from Sunderland.  

It's kind of amazing that, when England played at Hampden in 1964, Forsyth was in goal yet, when they returned in 1966, he had been replaced in goal for both Killie and Scotland by Ferguson.

From Sandy McLaughlan (Scottish League) through Forsyth, Ferguson, McLaughlan again, Ally Hunter, Jim Stewart and Alan McCulloch (Scottish League) we had an unbroken run of keepers who were capped.

Edited by skygod

1 hour ago, CB said:

Didn't we win the 2nd XI league cup the season we won the league too? Or did Bobby just do double duty?

We won the Reserve League Cup in 64/65. 

We fielded three keepers over the ten ties - McLaughlan, Ferguson and Forsyth. Presumably, Forsyth kept goal in the final which was played at the end of the season. 

Edited by skygod

First keeper I saw was Sandy Mclaughlin, and in that time the best one IMO was Alan McCulloch.   He was the main reason we stayed up in the Premier League in 1979/80 and his injury at Cappielow was the main factor in us being relegated the following season. 

I also like Dragoje Leković and Gordon Marshal

Going back years we have always had a reputation of bringing through top keepers, As a kid i thought Jim Stewart was fantastic , Big strong guy with the agility of a gazelle, When Boro bought him i thought he could never be replaced, But Mcculloch grasped his chance and imo became even better, Amazed no bigger clubs came in for him, If he had got his chance for Scotland i think he would have been snapped up.Only a single u21 cap too.

Even when opposition got a penalty i was conifident he would save them. Gret shot stopper, Club Legend !

4 minutes ago, skygod said:

It's kind of amazing that, when England played at Hampden in 1964, Forsyth was in goal yet, when they returned in 1966, he had been replaced in goal for both Killie and Scotland by Ferguson.

From Sandy McLaughan (Scottish League) through Forsyth, Ferguson, McLaughlan again, Ally Hunter, Jim Stewart and Alan McCulloch (Scottish League) we had an unbroken run of keepers who were capped. 

McCulloch never won a full Scotland cap.  Squads yes but no cap.  Miles better keeper then rough.