Next Scotland manager

Craigieboy

On 26/01/2018 at 8:28 AM, Bullitt said:

I personally believe Neil Lennon would be the best fit for us... unfortunately it will never ever happen as it will alienate 50% of our supporters. 

We'd do better under Lennon than any of the other names mentioned including Michael O'Neil!  Gets results in high pressure big games, by getting most out the players available, just like Scotland need to.  So you can forget anyone on the shortlist (like Caldwell) who's not done Rangers/Celtic in Europe or the EPL.  Lennon's managed in Champions league at a much higher level than the other guys quoted.  Couple of good results and he might even win the haters over! 

21 minutes ago, bute-killiefan said:

It bewilders me that McLeish in not only being mentioned, but that people actually want him.

Out of interest why?

I wouldn't be against him from a managerial perspective, however he did walk out on us before, so I wouldn't give him the chance again.

If Lennon or Caldwell get it my SSC membership will lapse. 

16 minutes ago, Pelesboots said:

Out of interest why?

I wouldn't be against him from a managerial perspective, however he did walk out on us before, so I wouldn't give him the chance again.

If Lennon or Caldwell get it my SSC membership will lapse. 

Because he hasn't had a job since 2016, and even then he was there 5 minutes. He has been a failure at most of the clubs he has managed since he walked out on Scotland last time. I truly believe that he is only being mentioned because he is Scottish. I think we should look for a non-Scottish coach. Bielsa is my preference

Can I ask why Lennon getting it would mean you'd let your membership lapse? I understand Caldwell, I put him in the same braket as McLeish, only being mentioned due to where he popped out his maw.

Edited by bute-killiefan

Fair enough, and I understand your reasons.   I like McLeish and still think he would do a good job but as I said previously, he walked out on Scotland before so this time it is a no from me. 

As for Lennon, I don't like his manner and the way he behaves.  I believe you should have certain standards of behaviour to be a manager at that level and Lennon simply doesn't meet them IMO. Remember the way he behaved after we beat them in the League Cup final. I would be embarrassed to have him represent Scotland.

I think we have a problem here as there is now no obvious candidate so maybe your guy is an option, although again I would doubt we have the money to get him, or someone similar.

On 01/02/2018 at 10:55 AM, Pelesboots said:

As for Lennon, I don't like his manner and the way he behaves.  I believe you should have certain standards of behaviour to be a manager at that level and Lennon simply doesn't meet them IMO. Remember the way he behaved after we beat them in the League Cup final. I would be embarrassed to have him represent Scotland.

Yeah I'd probably agree with that actually

How about Davie McKinnon as chief executive at the SFA. yes he was at iPox but was great at us and scumdee in the chief exec role.

also as an example player he would understand the game.

as for manager we need to go outside the twisted sisters and Scotland and get someone with a record of getting the beat out of what they have.  I reckon the current Cardiff manager would be a real left field choice!

Edited by Beaker71

When you look at Wales appointing the likes of Gary Speed and Chris Coleman and Northern Ireland with O'Neill and the success that these guys have had at International level without the success as a Club manager, it makes you wonder if Scotland should be as bold and appoint a guy with similar credentials. We look as if we're running out of options anyway, so why not? 

Its obvious McLeish' appointment isn't the most inspiring of choices. I believe it comes down to him being the best candidate who actually wanted the job. There are far better people out there to manage this country, but given how the SFA are working at the moment, no one in their right mind would touch the job. 

Stinks of desperation from both McLeish and the SFA. The only silver lining, hes got a decent record as Scotland manager. 

34 minutes ago, KennyH80 said:

Stinks of desperation from both McLeish and the SFA. The only silver lining, hes got a decent record as Scotland manager. 

Agreed, but as you say 7 wins out of 10 in his previous spell. If he can keep that up the criticism of the appointment will be short lived.