European Nations League

Mister Y

The negativity from sky sports news during the draw was so frustrating because they blatantly had not read the format. They only mentioned once someone passed them a bit of paper that you can qualify for the euros through this tournament.

I actually like the format, it's got a lot of benefits for the lower ranked teams.

Albania and isreal tho...FFS. Wouldv loved to be in the 2nd pot with Estonia, Greece and Finland 

Twisted...how does it work?

The Groups look seeded...is that the case? And therefore, why are all the top teams in groups with each other?

Do we play our fellow 'european' group teams home and away? And then what? Does it go to knockout?

How do you qualify for the Euros? How many teams progress? How long does it last?

Actually I have loadsa questions but these will do for starters...

Watch this

https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/#/

We will play isreal and Albania home and away. Hopefully we win and play a 1 leg semi v another group C mini group winner. Then a 1 leg final. Winner qualifies for euros. The 4 mini group winners promoted to group B for next conpetition. 4 mini group losers relegated. The seedings for next euros also decided by nation's league standings so it really is pretty important for Scotland. 

Albania at home Monday 10th September

Israel away Thursday 11th October

Albania away Saturday 17th November

Israel at home Tuesday 20th November

After these fixtures the Euro Qualifying is played as normal. Then the Nations League playoffs decides who gets final 4 playoff places. This does away with the "Best 3rd placed team qualifies" s**te from the last Euro Qualifying campaign

I wonder if that's why we're playing Mexico and Peru in friendlies?

Maybe we can't do friendlies within UEFA boundaries now there's this new league format?

There's always a big team that misses out, so you can guarantee we'll go on a run then get Italy away in a playoff final!

Scotland need to qualify for 2020 by hook or crook as there's a group at Hampden.

I'd forgotten about the Hungry game.  So it doesn't replace international friendlies as reported in the media today.  You could see Scotland almost qualifying twice for Euro 2020!  Is big change to traditional calendar as Euro 2020 is in many countries.  Could go either way but UEFA will make a lot more money doing this!  But there wasn't much wrong with the traditional knockout format Euros in one country - this is much more for the TV.

3 hours ago, RAG said:

I'd forgotten about the Hungry game.  So it doesn't replace international friendlies as reported in the media today.  You could see Scotland almost qualifying twice for Euro 2020!  Is big change to traditional calendar as Euro 2020 is in many countries.  Could go either way but UEFA will make a lot more money doing this!  But there wasn't much wrong with the traditional knockout format Euros in one country - this is much more for the TV.

Wasn't young Katniss Everdeen our main striker in the Hungry game. ?

We can’t get a “big” team in the playoffs if we win the mini group. We can only play one of the other group winners from the 3rd tier we’re in as a semifinal, then final. Winners of all 4 tiers playoff games get automatic Euro qualification. So a minnow will definitely be there.

If we win our group v Albania and Israel we’ll automatically get promoted to Tier 2 for the next Nations Cup in 2020/21 or whenever they schedule it regardless of how we do in the playoffs thereafter.

Euro qualification starts next year in 10 groups with seedings as normal (drawn in December I think) but only the top 2 qualify for Euros 2020. We might even have a manager by then! That’s why there’s 4 places up for grabs through this convoluted new tourney as 20 qualify in the traditional way.