Training facilities

Souleycouley93

A lot of you conveniently brushing over a few pertinent points I think. No one is giving anything away on the cheap, it will cost us just the same if not more to purchase ground with facilities on it that will need altered as it will to purchase new ground and build on it. If you buy ground on its own you pay for the ground, if you buy ground with buildings/facilities on it you pay for the buildings/facilities. The current incumbents may have other plans for the facilities, we don't automatically get first dibs on it, maybe they don't want us there or they'd have approached us already.  We can't just swoop in and get a bargain as we don't have money to do anything at the moment and we're not going to get funding to pick up on a facility that someone else has crashed and burned with, seriously, who is going to give us this funding? Let's talk in real terms here, I'm genuinely interested to know. Everyone from Dundonald/Kilwinning is not suddenly going to stop supporting their old firm team and follow us, that just doesn't happen. Please don't draw comparisons with Celtic (or Everton), they are nothing like us, they could train on the moon and it wouldn't matter with their support and financial backing.

Scott Ellis. Rugby, Cricket, Athletics Arena, plenty of ground, shared facilities, buy in from local council due to shared facilities - a sports hub on the edge of town that we could be central to. But no, we'd rather go it alone in the sticks somewhere?

51 minutes ago, killie billies pal said:

Most of the fans leaving RP on a Saturday manage along that “wee” road no bother, but seriously, have folk seen the roundabout at the fire station, it is murder, especially at peak times. I find it very strange and sad that KSC has hit bad times, seems to be very busy, although I’m hearing that NAC’s baby, KA Leisure took a lot to do with the building which held the canteen, which served KSC well in the past.

Are you sure you're talking about the same road?  I pretty sure most people don't leave Rugby Park and head through Gatehead towards Dundonald on that back road after the football.

Kilwinning is a fair sized town and hardly out in the Sticks and I don't think anyone has suggested that the KSC location is available for free. Also, no-one is claiming that Kilmarnock are the same size as Everton or Celtic, just using them as examples of clubs who have their training centres away from their ground.

No matter where it is it will need to be funded, so that is a red herring - why do you feel so strongly that any training centre must be in Kilmarnock?

9 minutes ago, SaucyJackPirate said:

Are you sure you're talking about the same road?  I pretty sure most people don't leave Rugby Park and head through Gatehead towards Dundonald on that back road after the football.

Exactly, you can either got that way or through Dreghorn or come from Troon. None of these roads are great plus the Troon way has a low bridge that probably wouldn't fit a Team bus. Seen a crash there before with high vehicles.

2 minutes ago, KillieBus said:

No matter where it is it will need to be funded, so that is a red herring - why do you feel so strongly that any training centre must be in Kilmarnock?

We are essentially a community club and I feel that to thrive we should base ourselves and be more involved with the community. The building of the hotel and the loss of our training ground was a real turning point for me and I feel that we lost some of our identity when shift workers and school kids couldn't just drop in and watch the players train any more. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I think we have to stay close to our roots or we lose something that only a team like ours can offer. Sometimes I think we are a wee bit too big for our boots but at that same time I think that in terms of size we should be one of Scotland's top six clubs. I appreciate that might sound like a contradiction but I think the reason we are one of the biggest provincial clubs is the fact that our fans are fiercely protective of our heritage and we have to try and encourage that more with the new generations who don't fully appreciate how hard it has been to stay relevant and stay in the top division for so long. I'd like us to have a top quality training facility in the town that that community could also benefit from and get closer to the football club, I won't be falling out with anyone if the club decide that they want to train elsewhere but I will see it as an opportunity missed.

Fair enough. I would have no objection to site being in Kilmarnock, but staying outside of Kilmarnock and appreciative of the numbers of people outside Kilmarnock who actively go the games I wouldn't like to see a 'Kilmarnock or nowhere' mentality driving it.

As another poster mentioned, it could be a good thing to be seen as Ayrshire's club.

Then again what idiots could see it any other way, given the competition down the road...

30 minutes ago, Monty97 said:

We are essentially a community club and I feel that to thrive we should base ourselves and be more involved with the community.

Is the community solely Kilmarnock? Shame they don't go to games then eh?

Killie have fans from all over Ayrshire. Certainly more come from outside Killie than live int h town itself.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

3 minutes ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Maybe we could flatten John Finnie street and put it there so it’s accessible for fans who aren’t allowed to use it .

I don't even know what that means, are you making a point or just trying to ridicule someone else's (ie mine) point of view?

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Killie have fans from all over Ayrshire. Certainly more come from outside Killie than live int h town itself.

The community is not solely Kilmarnock, but we are Kilmarnock FC and we are based in Kilmarnock so I would think its a safe bet that the majority of our fan base down the years have stayed in the town. Yes, there are a lot of exiles and people who come in from surrounding areas, but I think its fair to say that our community is centred on the town and spreads out the way. It is a real shame they don't all go to games, attendances peak and trough, but I would argue that you are wrong there is more from outside the town itself, do you have any evidence that is genuinely the case?

10 minutes ago, Monty97 said:

The community is not solely Kilmarnock, but we are Kilmarnock FC and we are based in Kilmarnock so I would think its a safe bet that the majority of our fan base down the years have stayed in the town. Yes, there are a lot of exiles and people who come in from surrounding areas, but I think its fair to say that our community is centred on the town and spreads out the way. It is a real shame they don't all go to games, attendances peak and trough, but I would argue that you are wrong there is more from outside the town itself, do you have any evidence that is genuinely the case?

There was a poll on here years ago and it wasn't even close to being 50% of those replied (it was about 300 or so a decent sample) lived in Killie.

I'll do another one if you want? I have also known folk who worked at the club and sold season tickets who said majority didn't live in the town.

1 hour ago, PrestersKtid said:

Exactly, you can either got that way or through Dreghorn or come from Troon. None of these roads are great plus the Troon way has a low bridge that probably wouldn't fit a Team bus. Seen a crash there before with high vehicles.

Shouldn’t be allowed behind a steering wheel if you can’t drive on these roads

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

There was a poll on here years ago and it wasn't even close to being 50% of those replied (it was about 300 or so a decent sample) lived in Killie.

I'll do another one if you want? I have also known folk who worked at the club and sold season tickets who said majority didn't live in the town.

Don't you think that more exiles and people away from the town will be part of an internet forum community what with them being 'away' from the town? I know most folk use the internet of course, but the likes of here is not exactly a good sample I think. Could we actually ask the club out of interest? This "folk who worked at the club" is a bit he said, she said. If we are going to have a proper debate then we'd be better dealing in facts.

We are Kilmarnock football club. One team in Ayrshire as the song says. That’s the whole of Ayrshire not just East. There’s nothing stopping community involvement if the training ground was in Kilwinning. It might actually improve because under previous dictatorship the wider Ayrshire community was neglected a hell of a lot more than the town itself. It’s hardly a world away. KSC would be closer to Rugby Park than plenty of other clubs training facilities which are in their own city or town.

Theres a bus goes from Kilmarnock bus station and stops right outside the KSC for those wanting to watch training. If you stay in Ayr, Irvine, Troon, Prestwick, Glasgow, Beith, Kilbirnie, Paisley then there’s a train and a short walk. I can remember going to watch training at Auchencruive. If you want to see it you’ll find a way. 

Ultimately it matters not what anyone on here thinks. It’s the boards decision. The best deal for the club and the best facility we can come up with. 

2 hours ago, Monty97 said:

A lot of you conveniently brushing over a few pertinent points I think. No one is giving anything away on the cheap, it will cost us just the same if not more to purchase ground with facilities on it that will need altered as it will to purchase new ground and build on it. If you buy ground on its own you pay for the ground, if you buy ground with buildings/facilities on it you pay for the buildings/facilities. The current incumbents may have other plans for the facilities, we don't automatically get first dibs on it, maybe they don't want us there or they'd have approached us already.  We can't just swoop in and get a bargain as we don't have money to do anything at the moment and we're not going to get funding to pick up on a facility that someone else has crashed and burned with, seriously, who is going to give us this funding? Let's talk in real terms here, I'm genuinely interested to know. Everyone from Dundonald/Kilwinning is not suddenly going to stop supporting their old firm team and follow us, that just doesn't happen. Please don't draw comparisons with Celtic (or Everton), they are nothing like us, they could train on the moon and it wouldn't matter with their support and financial backing.

Scott Ellis. Rugby, Cricket, Athletics Arena, plenty of ground, shared facilities, buy in from local council due to shared facilities - a sports hub on the edge of town that we could be central to. But no, we'd rather go it alone in the sticks somewhere?

Have to disagree with your assertion that it’s more expensive to buy a property second hand that was purpose built for your purposes than build one from scratch. I have done both in my career and I can categorically state that the former is cheaper than the later, always with the codicil that the owner of the former must be willing to sell . 

4 hours ago, Monty97 said:

Don't you think that more exiles and people away from the town will be part of an internet forum community what with them being 'away' from the town? I know most folk use the internet of course, but the likes of here is not exactly a good sample I think. Could we actually ask the club out of interest? This "folk who worked at the club" is a bit he said, she said. If we are going to have a proper debate then we'd be better dealing in facts.

it was where are you from IIRC and not where do you live. 

My facts are better than yours to be fair. At least mine have some substance to them. Yours are solely your opinion and nothing else!

5 hours ago, Monty97 said:

I don't even know what that means, are you making a point or just trying to ridicule someone else's (ie mine) point of view?

I am saying that you are going on as if it’s a place that you are needing to attend and it’s shouldnt be in the sticks  . You aren’t in Kilmarnock first team don’t know why it’s a massive deal if it’s kilwinning or Dundonald or in your back garden . Players have cars and are able to make same amount of community visits no excuses . 

Two pages of almost nothing on this thread unfortunately. In order to be awarded one of the 8 Elite status clubs for this Project Brave, I think it’s fair to assume the accredited clubs had to produce more than “we’ll build the required facilities, just don’t ask us where, how much and when” as we don’t have a plan yet. Give BB and the other board members some degree of credit for putting forward a proposal that satisfied the SFA performance dept they were capable of following it through with finance and firm proposals. Let’s just wait and see what they are putting together.

17 hours ago, Monty97 said:

The community is not solely Kilmarnock, but we are Kilmarnock FC and we are based in Kilmarnock so I would think its a safe bet that the majority of our fan base down the years have stayed in the town.

Hogwash, if you think the majority of home fans are from Kilmarnock get down a bit earlier and look at the parking around the ground. The community that should benefit from the club should include the community that supports it.

17 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You keep stating this Squirrel but where is your evidence. I very much doubt that more fans come from outside Killie. It doesn't bother me if it is true & although brought up in Killie I don't stay in the town now but I still consider myself from Killie.  

19 hours ago, PrestersKtid said:

Wouldn’t fit a team bus? Yet school buses go through it every day. As is said elsewhere, try and get out of Dundonald Road after a game, see how long it takes in comparison with people walking into town, I have to agree with Squirrelhumper that sadly the team appears to be better supported from other areas, with that in mind it is maybe a good idea to use space in Kilmarnock and hope that kids get “the bug “ and start supporting their local team.