Jordan Jones

Charlie

10 hours ago, Bobby14 said:

I don’t think we’ll get more than £1m... £5m is absolutely absurd and comments like that would see some of you into the looney bin. 

I think McGinn is worth more than Jones but Lennon’s valuation is mental for a player going into the final year of his deal. 

Can’t see either player signing extensions, the market favours players who run down their contracts so I think JJ will be away this summer for a fee in the region of £1m. 

If you think about it, aston villa paid £5m for tshibola, so it's not really all that mental at all. Jones is a far more influential player than him. That said I think £1.5m, would be a fair going rate 

In terms of JJ's footballing career, staying at Killie (for the time being) under SC's stewardship would be best for him IMO. JJ has improved of late but in order to make it on a bigger stage than Killie he needs to be doing more, adding more, and doing it consistently. 

I hope he has good advisers feeding him reality rather than looking after themselves financially telling him and potential buyers that 'Rangers were/are interested and he's a fully established international etc'. 

Take Robbie Muirhead as an example. I suspect that that boy's head was filled with all sorts of pish leading him to thinking Killie was too small a platform for him at the time he left...'Celtic showing interest for example'....the reality was he hadn't established himself as a Killie player and wasn't progressing (arguably regressing). 

Craig Slater is similar, but at least he was established in the Killie team....just not doing well enough consistently enough. 

If JJ stays for another six months to a year and really kicks on he could potentially get a proper move that benefits his career and finances. 

48 minutes ago, Candygram for mongo said:

Take Robbie Muirhead as an example. I suspect that that boy's head was filled with all sorts of pish leading him to thinking Killie was too small a platform for him at the time he left...'Celtic showing interest for example'....the reality was he hadn't established himself as a Killie player and wasn't progressing (arguably regressing). 

Craig Slater is similar, but at least he was established in the Killie team....just not doing well enough consistently enough. 

You could add Matt Kennedy to those - he's maybe the prime example.

But try telling kids about their best long-term career prospects when someone is dangling more money, sometimes an awful lot more.

Only a very level-headed kid thinks long-term.

1 hour ago, Brianstorm said:

Too many words mate, nobody reads paragraphs of pish from folk they don't know, I read the first sentence though. Pish. Players at our level need to take the big offer as soon as it comes along, a dip in form or an injury and it all comes crashing down. Steve Clarkes stewardship blah blah blah. He needs to leave as soon as the big bucks are offered.  

That's certainly another way of looking at it. Financially speaking he's entitled to strike while the iron is luke warm. I was just thinking in terms of his footballing career. 

26 minutes ago, skygod said:

But try telling kids about their best long-term career prospects when someone is dangling more money, sometimes an awful lot more.

The smart ones like Naismith, Bryson, McArthur and McCarthy did it the right way and they benefited from that approach in the long term. 

Players like Kennedy left before they even knew what first team football was all about. 

8 hours ago, Killie lad said:

If you think about it, aston villa paid £5m for tshibola, so it's not really all that mental at all. Jones is a far more influential player than him. That said I think £1.5m, would be a fair going rate 

Moving from one English championship club to another. In a very inflated market. A market which is not inclusive of Scottish clubs. £5m is mental. 

4 hours ago, historyman said:

The smart ones like Naismith, Bryson, McArthur and McCarthy did it the right way and they benefited from that approach in the long term. 

Players like Kennedy left before they even knew what first team football was all about. 

I think getting £5 grand a week swung it

6 hours ago, historyman said:

It's easy to highlight the ones that made it. What about the likes of  Paul Di Giacomo who got their careers blighted by injury before they got a chance to sign the life changing contracts? 

7 hours ago, skygod said:

Unfortunately level headed kids could end up with f all, Matt Kennedy has earned a fortune which could potentially make him secure. It’s all very well sitting on your high horse but at the end of the day nobody would turn up there nose at a big pay day.

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Unfortunately level headed kids could end up with f all, Matt Kennedy has earned a fortune which could potentially make him secure. It’s all very well sitting on your high horse but at the end of the day nobody would turn up there nose at a big pay day.

Where is he now? On loan at League One Pompey from Cardiff, warming the bench.

He's out of contract in the summer so it will be interesting to see his next move. Maybe back to Killie to replace Jones!

I doubt his career has worked out as he foresaw it when he joined Everton at 17. But he's made some money and he's only 23 so good luck to him.

Would he have done better had he hung around at Killie for longer? Who knows.

I didn't say there was a right or wrong way, just that some take the short-term view and others the long-term and it's understandable to be tempted by money.

1 hour ago, Brianstorm said:

You’ve let yourself down chief.  You should have waited until I posted a few paragraphs but you f**king wet yerself desperate to post that.  Ya gimp.  

Think he was actually pointing out the quote that got ye all the red cards. I’ve gave ye a couple purely for yer s**te patter. Probably got a couple more for sitting behind a keyboard name calling like a 12 year old wee lassie. But if that’s how you enjoy yer Saturday nights then aw the best to ye. 

• 3 weeks later...