Summer Nights Kelvingrove Bandstand 2018

harley

Tickets on sale Friday 09:00am. Great venue if there is a band you like.

Summer Nights at Kelvingrove Bandstand dates:
Mon 30 Jul – The Pretenders
Tue 31 Jul – Bryan Ferry
Wed 1 Aug – First Aid Kit
Thu 2 Aug – John Prine
Fri 3 Aug – OMD
Sat 4 Aug – James Grant with the Hallelujah Strings
Mon 6 Aug – Imelda May
Tue 7 Aug – Fleet Foxes
Wed 8 Aug – Jimmy Cliff
Thu 9 Aug – Van Morrison
Fri 10 Aug – The Fratellis
Sat 11 Aug – Roddy Frame

5 hours ago, kilm53 said:

Van the man....

Goes without saying but like Kenny Shiels I am also a big fan of John Prine. One of the finest singer songwriters still around. I saw Roxy Music 6 or 7 times at the Apollo in the 70s & early 80s so I might be tempted with the Bryan Ferry gig & the last time I bumped into Chrissie Hynde was at a certain NI singers gig on Cyprus Avenue a couple of years ago.  

I have been lucky with the weather at Kevingrove these last couple of years the only rain was at the Primal Scream gig but that was only light rain for the 1st few songs. You were unlucky Trumpetree because the rest of the week was fine.

14 hours ago, harley said:

I have been lucky with the weather at Kevingrove these last couple of years the only rain was at the Primal Scream gig but that was only light rain for the 1st few songs.

Same here.....seen Pixies, PS, Echo and the Bunneymen,  King Crescote and Teenage Fanclub there and only rain I saw was a wee bit at PS.

Great venue with great boozers nearby.

1 hour ago, Scooter said:

So, for £77 & £71.50 each to sit in the park, not that desperate to see them.

But The Skids / From The Jam double header in June was more reasonably priced. B|

Expensive for these 2 gigs but don't be put off by the "park. It's a brilliant venue. Probably one of my favourite venues to see any gig. As long as you don't swan in to late you can get a good seat. Arrive early, sit back & have a few beers. I picked up a Van ticket (surprise) & a more reasonably priced John Prine one. May go to more.

I saw Roxy at the Greens/Apollo twice in 73. Still got the ticket stubs but the pics below are from the Apollo site. £1.10 haha.

Roxy Music - Lloyd Watson - Sharks - 06/04/1973

Roxy Music - Leo Sayer - 02/11/1973

9 minutes ago, harley said:

Expensive for these 2 gigs but don't be put off by the "park. It's a brilliant venue. Probably one of my favourite venues to see any gig. As long as you don't swan in to late you can get a good seat. Arrive early, sit back & have a few beers.

Yeah I've been before, saw Texas there last year, had the pick of the seats so sat right behind the VIP bit for a great view and it was a brilliant night.

IMG_20170802_214441493.jpg.e94746dd3b5e237dbb0619831fc4c5af.jpg

It's just these artists who charge higher ticket prices than others on the bill ... if you want to see them then you'll pay it and they know it. For me, Morrison & Ferry were a 'would like to see' but not at any price. 

I HAVE paid £90 for a ticket at the Hydro before but that was Prince and for me, he was unmissable! I must've spent the guts of a grand going to London to see him during his 21 night residency too... and glad I did now he's no longer here.

Suppose it's all down to taste whether the price is worth it or not.

25 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Yeah I've been before, saw Texas there last year, had the pick of the seats so sat right behind the VIP bit for a great view and it was a brilliant night.

IMG_20170802_214441493.jpg.e94746dd3b5e237dbb0619831fc4c5af.jpg

It's just these artists who charge higher ticket prices than others on the bill ... if you want to see them then you'll pay it and they know it. For me, Morrison & Ferry were a 'would like to see' but not at any price. 

I HAVE paid £90 for a ticket at the Hydro before but that was Prince and for me, he was unmissable! I must've spent the guts of a grand going to London to see him during his 21 night residency too... and glad I did now he's no longer here.

Suppose it's all down to taste whether the price is worth it or not.

Yip, you are correct. £90 wasn't bad for a Prince gig. Others will disagree. You couldn't pay me to go to an Ed Sheeran/Beyoncé gig etc. Fortunately these are the higher priced ones & I have no interest in going. I would have been happy going to an odd Van gig but since Cyprus Avenue in 2015 I have met so many other people at his gigs, mostly in Northern Ireland. every time I go back I arrange to meet up with friends from all over the world. I combine these gigs with holidays & in the better weather go on the Harley. It's not too expensive as I am only paying for 1 as my wife has no interest in going to these gigs. Yes Van is a grumpy old git but honestly I couldn't care less if he doesn't ramble on between songs. Somebody said he had an Ego. That is completely wrong. He has no interest in the fame part of his work & is really shy. That said as I have said before he loves playing in NI. Seems to bring the best out of him.

Last time I went to as may gigs of one person was when Zappa played in 88. I combined a motorbike touring holiday with the gigs. I saw him in Frankfurt. There were no UK gigs announced then. Shortly after I got back from Germany he announced 1 gig in Brighton, 2 gigs at the Wembley Arena & 1 at the Birmingham NEC. Like you & the Prince gigs that was Zappa's last tour as he was diagnosed with Cancer not long after. I'm delighted I went to those gigs. Started in Brighton & worked my way home.  

58 minutes ago, CLANCY2KTID said:

Got 2 Fratellis tickets this morning. Was up for Primal Scream a couple of years ago and it was a great night despite the weather. 

Primal Scream was brilliant, much better atmosphere than the Grand Hall gig & that wasn't bad even though he spent most of the Kelvingrove concert on a stool as his back injury was still recovering .

• 5 months later...
25 minutes ago, Trumpetree said:

Not sure those at John Prine last night were any drier - wonder if Kenny Shiels was there?

I was there last night. Great show. Pissed down nearly all night but stopped just before encores. I was a bit worried about seeing him as he has looked a bit old & fragile lately after illness. No need to worry he was great & what a band. Solo acoustic section was brilliant especially when he played Kenny's favourite "Sam Stone". Last song before the encores "Lake Marie" was just epic. John is a legend & his lyrics are just brilliant. Who else would write a song because he felt sorry for Pluto when it was downgraded from planet status to just a basic star because the scientists found out it was too small, haha.    Van the Man (who else) next Thursday. Sun will be shining for the great man (hopefully).