Alex Dyer

Garnkirk20

All jokes about phrasing aside, totally agree. He comes off really well in any videos/interviews, and the players clearly respect the guy. The role is often a massively undervalued part of the backroom. Lord Saltcoats knew what he was doing when he got him in.

Edited by kevin1869

Perhaps coincidence but saw Dyer having a word with Jones just after the Celtic free kick in the first half.  Up until that point Jones had been quiet and when he had got on the ball, slack passing had cost us possession a couple of times.  From that point on Jones seemed to really grow in confidence and was a pivotal part in us forging our way into the game.  There is certainly no doubt that Dyer is a generally unsung hero in the transformation of our team.

I’ve got no idea what he brings to the party at the moment but he has served his time as assistant to Chris Powell and SC and worked under a stack of managers at West Ham - Pardew, Zola, Curbishley, Grant - so I’d be happier with him than another rookie. 

He has his UEFA Pro and is keen to get the chance to manage. 

Needs to update his LinkedIn profile when he gets the time though! 

On 04/02/2018 at 12:04 AM, jesper said:

Have to admit, didn't (and don't) know much about him. But... When Mulumbu ran straight to him after scoring today, you have to realise and acknowledge that he's clearly a respected man in the dressing room. 

I wondered if Alex Dyer was the man Youssouf went to for advice after the Bordeaux deal collapsed and that is why he went straight to him after scoring on Saturday.

You can see he is a respected figure within the dressing room and even watching the players warming up before games now there are obviously a few new regimes in place and I'd suspect he is a massive influence in these and as has been said our fitness levels definitely look better!

• 1 month later...

Steve Clarke reckons he and assistant Alex Dyer are Scottish football’s answer to the Odd Couple.

But although they’re complete opposites it has been a match made in heaven for the Rugby Park club, who have stormed up to fifth in the table since their arrival in October.

And Kilmarnock boss Clarke hailed the role played by his No.2 as he picked up his second Ladbrokes Manager of the Month award.

The Killie gaffer served as an assistant under the likes of Kenny Dalglish, Jose Mourinho and 
Gianfranco Zola before going it alone. So he knows just how important Dyer’s input is.

Clarke said: “Alex has a different personality to me. He is bright, cheery and happy every day! I’m only like that sometimes...

“He is a good coach who has a good rapport with the players. Alex understands the role of an assistant.

“If a player’s a little unhappy with me, Alex has the skills and capability to speak to that person and re-assure him.

“It’s a crucial role. I’ve done it myself so I understand how crucial it is.

“I came across him at West Ham many years ago, when he was working with the equivalent of the development team.

“He worked with a lot of the senior players who dropped down to train with his group and I noticed they didn’t complain or moan about it.

“They were always happy to go and work with Alex and that spoke volumes because senior players who drop down to work with reserve players can be very difficult.

“It’s important that the assistant manager isn’t a stereotype of the manager and Alex and I are different.

“It’s part of the reason things have gone well, one of a number of very small reasons.

“February was a good month, we picked up a lot of points and stayed in the Scottish Cup.

“I’m the guy who stands in front of the cameras and gets his picture taken with the award but it’s for everybody at the club, all my staff and players who have been outstanding.”

Killie host Ross County today and are hoping to extend their unbeaten domestic run to nine games in all competitions.

Clarke was surprised to see Owen Coyle part company with the Staggies and thinks struggling County will pose a different problem under caretakers Stuart Kettlewell and Steve Ferguson.

He said: “I’m a little bit surprised it did not work out for Owen.

“This is a difficult game to read as Ross County are a team at the bottom fighting for their lives.

“It is hard to say if I will be playing against a side that plays direct football or passing football so it is a little bit of the unknown.”

Kilmarnock go into the game as hot favourites after continuing their fine run with a 2-0 midweek win over St Johnstone.

Striker Lee Erwin bagged the clincher against Saints and insists Clarke’s men are desperate to seal their place in the top six while pushing on in the Scottish Cup.

The 23 year-old said: “It has been an unbelievable turnaround. If you look at the stats since the manager came in we would be at the top end of the table.

“We seem to have got the balance right with the manager and Alex.

“Everyone’s mind is now focused on a top-six finish.

“We’re still in the Scottish Cup and we have a replay with Aberdeen on Tuesday so we won’t be taking that lightly.”