Mulumbu on Bordeaux and the win

kfc_superteam

DAZE OF THE WEEK

Kilmarnock hero Youssouf Mulumbu says his first goal in four years topped off a ‘crazy week’ after almost quitting Scottish football

The midfielder was targeted by French club Bordeaux and almost packed his bags before the deal fell through

YOUSSOUF MULUMBU has opened up on the craziest week of his career.

The Kilmarnock midfielder was about to say au revoir to Scottish football after Bordeaux made a big-money bid on Monday. Gaffer Steve Clarke initially gave his blessing to the deal — only for it to fall through hours before Wednesday’s deadline.

Killie chiefs felt Bordeaux were taking too much time and dramatically pulled the plug on the transfer.

Mulumbu, 31, accepted that decision and showed there were no hard feelings when he slammed in his side’s winner against Celtic.

He said: “It was a crazy week for me because on Monday I received an offer from France.I spoke with the manager and the board and it was a great offer from a big team in Ligue 1.

“It was one of the top four clubs in France and I was sad to leave Kilmarnock after such a short space of time.

“But there are some opportunities you can’t turn down.

“It all happened very fast but then on Wednesday they decided to stop the negotiations.“I waited for the move until the last minute then Steve Clarke and the board decided to cancel everything because it was taking too long.

“I am happy to stay here and help the lads. Against Celtic, I scored a goal and I am 100 per cent focused on Kilmarnock now.”

Mulumbu was Killie’s star man against Celtic with a dynamic showing in the middle of the park.

The DR Congo internationalist relished the battle with Scott Brown in the engine room and came out on top.He started and finished the move that condemned Celtic to just the second domestic defeat of Brendan Rodgers’ reign.

It was his first goal since March 2014 and Mulumbu savoured the experience of a massive win for Clarke’s men.

He said: “It’s been four years without scoring so I’m happy.

“We knew it would be tough against the best team and you need to be ready.

“The manager didn’t really need to speak as all the players were focused and motivated.

“We waited, we suffered a bit in the first half but we didn’t concede many chances.

“In the second half we had chances and could have scored more goals. We deserved our win.

“When you play against the best team and you have Scott Brown, Olivier Ntcham and Eboue Kouassi against you, it’s going to be tough.But I like to be in those battles, I like to show people ‘This is who Youssouf Mulumba is’.

“Sometimes he works sometimes he doesn’t but he did good against Celtic.”

Mulumbu is now one of the main men for Killie — but he insists they must make their progress count under Clarke.

They have beaten both Celtic and Rangers at Rugby Park but he reckons that will count for nothing if they don’t secure a top-half finish.

He said: “I said we have the possibility to reach the top six and that remains the focus.

“We can’t beat Rangers and Celtic then finish in the bottom half — that would be unacceptable.

“We have some great players like Jordan Jones, we have brought in Aaron Tshibola, we have good forwards and they they are working hard.

“We are here to help young players like Greg Taylor.

“At the start of the season we were lacking confidence and when you don’t win games it’s hard to play. Now we just need to keep doing good things and keep the momentum.”

Kris Boyd ran himself into the ground for Killie and claimed the win was further proof of their rise under Clarke.

He said: “We’ve been very difficult to beat and we knew we’d have to be if we were to have any chance of winning the game.

“Celtic didn’t really cut us open, we were organised and we worked all week on being compact in the middle of the pitch.

“We know that even if there’s a gulf in class you’ll always get a chance.

“The first half we had numerous opportunities to put the ball into the box and didn’t do it.

“But in the second half we did and you saw the difference. We could have had two or three others after that.

“We said it from day one when the manager came in, there was a change because he brought that experience, he’s been at the top level.

“From the first time he spoke to us we knew that if we listened there was going to be a change in the fortunes of this club.

“We’re only the second team to beat Celtic but we knew there was a big performance due because the way we won games and we are hard to beat.

“It was a perfect performance — and hopefully one we can build on.”

5 minutes ago, kfc_superteam said:

DAZE OF THE WEEK

Kilmarnock hero Youssouf Mulumbu says his first goal in four years topped off a ‘crazy week’ after almost quitting Scottish football

The midfielder was targeted by French club Bordeaux and almost packed his bags before the deal fell through

YOUSSOUF MULUMBU has opened up on the craziest week of his career.

The Kilmarnock midfielder was about to say au revoir to Scottish football after Bordeaux made a big-money bid on Monday. Gaffer Steve Clarke initially gave his blessing to the deal — only for it to fall through hours before Wednesday’s deadline.

Killie chiefs felt Bordeaux were taking too much time and dramatically pulled the plug on the transfer.

Mulumbu, 31, accepted that decision and showed there were no hard feelings when he slammed in his side’s winner against Celtic.

He said: “It was a crazy week for me because on Monday I received an offer from France.I spoke with the manager and the board and it was a great offer from a big team in Ligue 1.

“It was one of the top four clubs in France and I was sad to leave Kilmarnock after such a short space of time.

“But there are some opportunities you can’t turn down.

“It all happened very fast but then on Wednesday they decided to stop the negotiations.“I waited for the move until the last minute then Steve Clarke and the board decided to cancel everything because it was taking too long.

“I am happy to stay here and help the lads. Against Celtic, I scored a goal and I am 100 per cent focused on Kilmarnock now.”

Mulumbu was Killie’s star man against Celtic with a dynamic showing in the middle of the park.

The DR Congo internationalist relished the battle with Scott Brown in the engine room and came out on top.He started and finished the move that condemned Celtic to just the second domestic defeat of Brendan Rodgers’ reign.

It was his first goal since March 2014 and Mulumbu savoured the experience of a massive win for Clarke’s men.

He said: “It’s been four years without scoring so I’m happy.

“We knew it would be tough against the best team and you need to be ready.

“The manager didn’t really need to speak as all the players were focused and motivated.

“We waited, we suffered a bit in the first half but we didn’t concede many chances.

“In the second half we had chances and could have scored more goals. We deserved our win.

“When you play against the best team and you have Scott Brown, Olivier Ntcham and Eboue Kouassi against you, it’s going to be tough.But I like to be in those battles, I like to show people ‘This is who Youssouf Mulumba is’.

“Sometimes he works sometimes he doesn’t but he did good against Celtic.”

Mulumbu is now one of the main men for Killie — but he insists they must make their progress count under Clarke.

They have beaten both Celtic and Rangers at Rugby Park but he reckons that will count for nothing if they don’t secure a top-half finish.

He said: “I said we have the possibility to reach the top six and that remains the focus.

“We can’t beat Rangers and Celtic then finish in the bottom half — that would be unacceptable.

“We have some great players like Jordan Jones, we have brought in Aaron Tshibola, we have good forwards and they they are working hard.

“We are here to help young players like Greg Taylor.

“At the start of the season we were lacking confidence and when you don’t win games it’s hard to play. Now we just need to keep doing good things and keep the momentum.”

Kris Boyd ran himself into the ground for Killie and claimed the win was further proof of their rise under Clarke.

He said: “We’ve been very difficult to beat and we knew we’d have to be if we were to have any chance of winning the game.

“Celtic didn’t really cut us open, we were organised and we worked all week on being compact in the middle of the pitch.

“We know that even if there’s a gulf in class you’ll always get a chance.

“The first half we had numerous opportunities to put the ball into the box and didn’t do it.

“But in the second half we did and you saw the difference. We could have had two or three others after that.

“We said it from day one when the manager came in, there was a change because he brought that experience, he’s been at the top level.

“From the first time he spoke to us we knew that if we listened there was going to be a change in the fortunes of this club.

“We’re only the second team to beat Celtic but we knew there was a big performance due because the way we won games and we are hard to beat.

“It was a perfect performance — and hopefully one we can build on.”

Fair play , under no illusions far too good for us but let’s enjoy 

He will go at the end of the season but he will deliver a lot more performances like today's before he does leave. 

It shows what a real professional he is to play like he did today despite what had happened during the week. I still can't understand how a player like him did not find a suitable club last summer

Fantastic performance yesterday from a fantastic player. There’s not a hope in hell we’ll be able to hold onto him beyond the summer. Let’s just enjoy him while he’s here until the end of the season. 

He seem like the model pro and will move onto to something bigger and better in the summer with our thanks 

8 hours ago, historyman said:

I still can't understand how a player like him did not find a suitable club last summer

Three reasons, he’d been injured regularly for two years, would’ve been ok bloody good money coming from the premiership, and a lot of teams in England believe they are better then they actually are.

we have a guy he trusts, he wanted a chance to show how good he is, and we have it too him.

He hadn’t been injured regularly for two years at all. 

He got off to a bad start by breaking a metatarsal and missing the first three months of the first season. 

Most of the season he never got a chance to play and they were relegated at the end. 

In the Championship, a number of players including him, Naismith and Bassong were on massive money and, according to my Canaries supporting friend, they didn't show a great attitude when they did play. 

Malumbu showed up better than most but Alex Neil didn't seem that keen on him. 

At the end of the season, City couldn’t get them off the payroll quickly enough. 

Which doesn't answer the question why he didn't get a club last summer, I know. 

Maybe he just hadn’t played enough for someone to warrant taking a chance on a player who had turned 30. 

Harry Redknapp was linked with taking him to Birmingham but denied it and was sacked before anything could happen anyway. 

Edited by skygod

If he had the chance to move to Bordeaux and it fell through at the last minute, he deserves a lot of credit for his professionalism yesterday. I know it's a different situation because Mulumbu was only ever coming for a short time anyway, but it's night and day to a situation like Mahrez at Leicester, whose head is obviously completely gone over the whole thing. Fair play to Youssuf!

18 minutes ago, Dillinger said:

If he had the chance to move to Bordeaux and it fell through at the last minute, he deserves a lot of credit for his professionalism yesterday. I know it's a different situation because Mulumbu was only ever coming for a short time anyway, but it's night and day to a situation like Mahrez at Leicester, whose head is obviously completely gone over the whole thing. Fair play to Youssuf!

Mathews is an utter bellend,  happy to sign a big fkoff contract and take his money, then spits the dummy when another move is rejected.  Typical modern mercenary footballer who has more money then he could ever spend.

The rumours were partly true then....sounds like after verbally setting up a deal the other club didn't put in a written offer ....our gain in the end ..

Just have to enjoy him in a Killie shirt for as long as it lasts...and like Burns, Eremenko , ..Mulumbu will be remembered for a long time to come..

7 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

Mathews is an utter bellend,  happy to sign a big fkoff contract and take his money, then spits the dummy when another move is rejected.  Typical modern mercenary footballer who has more money then he could ever spend.

A post has appeared from the 1950s!

1 minute ago, Mclean07 said:

If we could find an investor, maybe we could keep him.

I think Mulumbu has motivations beyond money and indeed opportunities well beyond anything we as a club could reasonably finance.

He is trying to prove that he can still doit at the top level and that he is a better influence than he has been made out to be. Hand in hand with that is a salary at a club like Bordeaux which would be somewhere between ten or twenty times that he gets at Kilmarnock make it unlikely he will stay.

By all means we should try and make it clear how valuable he is here  by offering him a three or four year deal knowing that duration is to his benefit more than ours. But really we should accept that is probably in vain.