Boyd

skygod

On 04/02/2018 at 8:01 PM, allycowan1 said:

It looks to me as if Boyd is being used in effect as an assistant to Clarke.  It's Boyd that goes out to speak to the media and the two of them seem to be the effective faces of the club.  No doubt Dyer is doing great work in the background but if you didn't know he was there you'd be forgiven for thinking Boyd was the assistant manager.

Which leads me to this; who would object if Clarke was grooming Boyd to take over in the long term?  He's clearly bright and articulate when he's not being needlessly provocative, he's one of the best strikers in SPL history, a seasoned international and, increasingly, can work with the media and is developing real presence and gravitas.  

I'm sick of panicked managerial appointments and I'd like some long term succession planning to be underway already.  I see no other candidates.

Thoughts?

I’ve been a bit love - hate re Boydie in the past. Love the player - hate the media nonsense, although the media stuff seems to have died down recently. Certainly not been on Sportsound for a while.

Watching Boydie’s interview at the end on Saturday I said to my OH that he looked and sounded like a manager. 

He obviously plays a huge role at the club, is important in the dressing room and crucially on the pitch where he is 100x the captain Stevie Smith was / is (is he still alive?). He organises, encourages and gives a boot up the backside when needed - I certainly wouldn’t mess with him! He’s also good at talking to the ref during the game. Felt his presence was missed when Mulumbu was squaring up to whoever it was on Saturday- felt Boydie would have been in there defusing the situation. Also noticed that where in the past if he’d gone off and was sitting in the dugout at the end of a match he’d have been right up the tunnel - now he’s on the pitch, acknowledging fans etc. 

A completely different player since Steve Clarke arrived, Killie legend and wouldn’t be surprised or disappointed were he a future manager.

Boyd will manage us one day . He is a fantastic character and the arsehole years have certainly caused mixed opinions . His media now has been reigned in also . Performing on park and scoring and leading from the front . Glad I can like him again because he’s the reason we win most weeks with his goals . Great time to follow us atm . Hopefully fans come out on Saturday and watch us . Nothing less than what players deserve . They have been phenomenal in last three months . 

23 minutes ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Boyd will manage us one day . He is a fantastic character and the arsehole years have certainly caused mixed opinions . His media now has been reigned in also . Performing on park and scoring and leading from the front . Glad I can like him again because he’s the reason we win most weeks with his goals . Great time to follow us atm . Hopefully fans come out on Saturday and watch us . Nothing less than what players deserve . They have been phenomenal in last three months . 

I think Boydie has grow as a person over the years and he must have some appreciation that while his heart belongs at Ipox his best career development years have al been associated with KFC. 

My first interview question would be, "Kris, what would you do if someone turned up in the condition you did this season?"

That isn't to take credit from his past achievements or the transformation in last few months which has been great. Just don't think anyone should be guaranteed the honour of managing our great club too far in advance.

Hopefully SC will be with us for a few years yet!

On 4 February 2018 at 8:01 PM, allycowan1 said:

It looks to me as if Boyd is being used in effect as an assistant to Clarke.  It's Boyd that goes out to speak to the media and the two of them seem to be the effective faces of the club.  No doubt Dyer is doing great work in the background but if you didn't know he was there you'd be forgiven for thinking Boyd was the assistant manager.

Which leads me to this; who would object if Clarke was grooming Boyd to take over in the long term?  He's clearly bright and articulate when he's not being needlessly provocative, he's one of the best strikers in SPL history, a seasoned international and, increasingly, can work with the media and is developing real presence and gravitas.  

I'm sick of panicked managerial appointments and I'd like some long term succession planning to be underway already.  I see no other candidates.

Thoughts?

"Clearly bright and articulate"?.....you've taken that too far!

Compared to the big guy from 'The Goonies' yes, but Boydie makes Derek Ferguson sound like a scholar and wordsmith.

I think it would be a massive step backwards offering the managers position to Kris Boyd at any point. He has no experience. It was Clarke who brought Dyer along because he had more experience working with lesser quality players in England and I expect it is he who does most of the bad cop on the training ground and in the dressing room. I imagine Clarke is only too happy to let Boyd take over media communication for meaningless interviews he can't be bothered with but always seem to make an appearance when he deems it important.   

I think there needs to be a clear line between a manager and players and I don't think Boyd could transition away from being one of the lads to the Gaffer. I'd like to see him stay at Killie and continue his coaching after he hangs up the boots. As a manager I'd much rather see him at Rangers than us and Im pretty sure he would too. 

4 minutes ago, Jamsie said:

This thread in a nutshell: if Clarke says it's a goer, it's a goer. If not, it's not.

Send me off a billion times but this thread shouldn't exist on this forum when you consider the abuse Kris took up until October. 

Kris Boyd rightly took abuse which in my opinion is completely warranted in his displays on the football pitch for a while. People are allowed to change their opinions based on his development. He is a changed man and deserves credit for it. Although physically he still had a lot to do I believe his attitude changed when he played Dundee away (I think) just after the death of his brother. Certainly my attitude towards him did.

Although like some others on here I don't see him becoming a manager, I am really enjoying his transformation into a completely different player using his experience along with his bodyweight and power to bully defenders and create more assists for the team as well as a respectable goal tally for himself.