Home wins over Celtic

KillkieBoab

I was talking to my son today about whether yesterday's result was the greatest Killie performance against Celtic that I had seen. While I would have to agree that, given the financial gap which now exists between the clubs, the result was very special it comes nowhere close to three successive league victories while I was a youngster.

On 27th March 1963 in front of 16,002 spectators goals from Bertie Black (2), Andy Kerr (2), Joe Mason and Davie Sneddon saw Killie run out 6-0 winners.

Almost a year later on 21st March 1964, 11,459 saw Killie fail to repeat that result and we had to settle for a 4-0 victory with the goals coming from doubles for Jackie McInally and Eric Murray.

That same year, on 28th October, the crowd was 19,122 as Celtic finally managed to score twice at Rugby Park. Not to worry. Goals from Jackie McInally, another two, and the same from Jim McFadzean and one from Ronnie Hamilton gave Killie a 5-2 win and two valuable points towards our Championship success.

Those were the days but Steve Clarke has me expecting more of the same.

Yesterday was special in terms of beating Celtic. We didn’t ride our luck and it wasn’t backs to the wall. We played really well but restricted them to no clear cut chances. I’ve been to see us beat Celtic and Rangers on a number of occasions but these last two Home matches have been completely different to anything I’ve seen from us before against the OF. 

I think we also drew 2-2 with Celtic at Rugby Park the same season we beat them 2-0, when Broono did indeed score. I seem to remember Mark Skilling scoring a late equaliser but I might be wrong. I've always had a soft spot for the 2-0 game against TB's Celtic, the night Alex Burke gave Enrico Annoni a torrid time.

18 minutes ago, DuncanEwart said:

I think we also drew 2-2 with Celtic at Rugby Park the same season we beat them 2-0, when Broono did indeed score. I seem to remember Mark Skilling scoring a late equaliser but I might be wrong. I've always had a soft spot for the 2-0 game against TB's Celtic, the night Alex Burke gave Enrico Annoni a torrid time.

Skilling and Williamson in the 2-2 game, Black and Brown in the 2-0 one.

Yesterday was special in terms of beating Celtic. We didn’t ride our luck and it wasn’t backs to the wall. We played really well but restricted them to no clear cut chances. I’ve been to see us beat Celtic and Rangers on a number of occasions but these last two Home matches have been completely different to anything I’ve seen from us before against the OF. 

• Think this is the point...we always ( in my 40 years of supporting) have had the potential to nick a game against big teams ( old firm) but we outplayed both rangers and Celtic this term....somethin* special brewing If allowed to get there.....

My abiding memory of the 93/94 victory over (an admittedly pretty inept version of) Celtic, was later that evening.  I was walking up to my pal's house, and there was an older guy working in his front garden.  On seeing me wearing the strip he enthusiastically told me how pleased he was with my team's performance earlier that day (goddamn Ayrshire...) - and I couldn't really understand what the fuss was about.  I didn't at that time know what Celtic were, and how much of an achievement it was to beat them.  I was only nine years old, and hadn't ever known them to be any good, hadn't ever known them to win - or even particularly challenge for a trophy.

It makes me wonder if there was a similar reaction from younger fans on beating Rangers in December.  Anyone younger than mid teens will only know Rangers as their modern incarnation, and as such might not fully get how brilliant it always is to see Kilmarnock beat them!

In terms of the best victory over our East End chums, for me it's got to be the 2012 final.  Absolutely nobody gave us a prayer in the lead up to the game, which had already been penned as chapter one in Celtic's treble - a feat for which they were being priced as miserly as 10/3 in the middle of March, with four cup ties and a league title to win...  The way in which we won that game was so swashbuckling as well, absolutely not a smash and grab.

1996/97 was special because it was symptomatic of a turnaround in the fortunes of the team at that time.  I remember being supremely confident that Paul Wright was going to score that free kick as well, and Alex Burke's performance was probably in retrospect the high point of his career.  2009/10 again special, but only because we were so absolutely rank that season that it came out of nowhere.

One that I would throw into the mix as a potential favourite, is the often forgotten 2-0 in October 1998.  I absolutely love this game, because of how confident I was in the lead-up that we were going to beat them.  Celtic were the defending champions at that time, and this win put us 6 points ahead of them at Halloween, a single point behind eventual champions Rangers (RIP).  Second half goals from Mark Roberts and Ally Mitchell - those boys loved a goal against the ugly sisters - enough to give the good guys the points, before a last minute sending off for panto villain Stephane Mahe to top it all off.  Brilliant :)