Steve Clarke as Scotland manager...

TheeOhSee

Walter Smith is by far the best candidate. He is comfortably the best domestic manager since Fergie left for Man Utd. He was a massive success for the brief period he last had the job. He also took a mediocre Rangers side to the UEFA cup final.

The only reason I can see for the SFA not offering him the job is that he dumped us the last time. At the age of 70, it seems unlikely that this would happen again. Stevie would be a good number 2 and could take the managers job after two campaigns. 

Edited by fraz65

7 minutes ago, Loudoun Killie said:

Faddy now suggesting SSC would be a good stop gap until the end of the season......>:(

He also frowned upon the idea of a part time Scotland boss combining club duties. Said it was a bit of a mare when Stuart McCall was away on Scotland duty while he was Motherwell boss due to the lack of time he got to spend with the club players.

29 minutes ago, Souleycouley93 said:

The media are arseholes.

Agree.... 

The Sun apparently running with an "exclusive" headline of Ian Durant quoted as saying "if offered it, SC will go", full story in tomorrow's edition. 

Absolute bollocks no doubt. What does Durant know apart from his two pennies worth. 

No doubt it's his opinion twisted to suit the red tops agenda.

Edited by C4mmy31

3 minutes ago, KillieUSA said:

McFadden suggests Clarke could be a short term fix. If worst comes to worst this wouldn’t be so bad but if he does well with Scotland it could be like putting him in the shop window for bigger clubs. Not very keen..

FA03370B-354F-447F-A219-B2D6F029A069.png

In the context of the interview, McFadden was suggesting Clarke juggles both roles until the end of the season but that a part time national team coach wouldn't work long term.

18 minutes ago, historyman said:

I think we should start worrying that his old club come knocking at the door!

If we keep up this sort of form for the next year to 18 months, anything is possible.

Getting the better of the Old Firm got Fergie the Man United job.

I'm not concerned as SC supported Killie as a boy, you can't get better loyalty in the modern game than that  - might just get us an extra year.

Not sure international management is for Clarke. Think the SFA will have a fear of appointing someone and them jumping ship at the first opportunity like Smith and McLeish did. Steve Clarke is an ambitious manager with a point to prove down South. Is international management a path back to the EPL? Judging by Chris Coleman and Michael O'Neill then no. They’ve both had success but not quoted for the big jobs. 

Id be more worried about a club who seem to falter at the last hurdle like Derby coming in than all the international speculation. He’s quoted in the media now but with a busy month ahead that could change quickly. He’s flavour of the month at the moment and this speculation is what comes with that. 

I was listening to the radio tonight and aside from picking on form managers they have no clue. The punters are even worse. 

There does seem to be significant media momentum behind this now unfortunately. Don't think there is any chance whatsoever of either Smith or McLeish. 

Incredibly our best hope (in the sense of them not approaching SC) appears to perhaps be that they actually go for Scott Gemmill. If only Michael O'Neill had been up for taking a risk!>:(

The way it is going I reckon SC could well be approached in the next week or so.....whether he would really want it or not we don't know. Mixu had the same choice to make having been here ironically for the same time now as SC has been...

Edited by Jedi2

BACK TO SMITH 

Former Rangers boss Walter Smith set for Scotland talks after SFA panel make him their top target to replace Gordon Strachan

The 69-year-old has been out of management since leaving Rangers seven years ago but has not given any guarantees he will take the job

EXCLUSIVE
 WALTER SMITH is prepared to talk to the SFA about a sensational return as Scotland boss.

But he has not given any guarantees he would take the job.

SunSport can reveal the 69-year-old was last night approached by under-fire SFA president Alan McRae about a stunning comeback.

Smith has been out of football for seven years since quitting Rangers.

But the SFA have put together a three-man sub-committee to find a successor to Gordon Strachan and Smith has emerged as their top target.

It’s understood a tentative approach was made late last week to determine if he would be interested.

Smith made it clear he was happily retired, but that he’d be prepared to listen to what they had to say out of respect.

McRae has now moved to open talks, but faces a major task persuading the Gers legend that he’s the man to lead the Tartan Army to its first major finals since 1998. After Stewart Regan’s high-profile exit last week, McRae has been left to pursue the next boss along with SFA board members Rod Petrie and Ian Maxwell.

It’s understood up to EIGHT people could be under consideration for the post, which was snubbed by Michael O’Neill.

Kilmarnock boss Steve Clarke is likely to be among them, but Smith has emerged as the leading contender.

Scotland fans were angered by Smith’s decision to quit the national job in 2007 to return to Ibrox. But SunSport columnist Jim Duffy insisted yesterday Smith is the obvious choice.

Current Gers boss Graeme Murty cannot understand why the SFA have taken so long to move for Smith.

Murty, who played under Smith for Scotland, said: “I’m not surprised. I think Walter Smith is an outstanding candidate for any job that comes up.

“If anything I am a little surprised it’s taken them this long.

But I am not surprised his name has been thrown in the hat, and if he does take the job he will have everyone’s backing from this club because he is an absolute legend for Scotland and Rangers.

“If he does return he will get the full backing of everyone that knows him, and it will be a good move.

“Walter Smith has an aura about him. In my experience of playing for him his knowledge of the game is vast, and I am hopeful he would be a success if he took it.”Drunk Hibs f

2 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

There does seem to be significant media momentum behind this now unfortunately. Don't think there is any chance whatsoever of either of either Smith or McLeish.

Smith and McLeish might consider themselves to have unfinished business with Scotland.  Although I'd be surprised if Smith would come out of retirement.  McLeish does have the statistical best record of any Scotland manager.  I don't think you could discount either if they were interested.

The need for a quick appointment and the lack of a CEO could be in our favour - SC may not want to be the figurehead, media personality that comes with the Scotland job.

But it is the Scotland job..