Hun/Fenian

Gallus

Following on from the thread about McCoist going to do the draw and people calling him a hun, Boydy gets it alot aswell. Is 'hun' acceptable on the forum? if it is, is 'fenian' acceptable? I don't use either term but you never see the latter on here where hun is banded about quite freely...

Is one worse than the other?

Not really equatable. 

I can see this thread getting deleted, but... 

Hun I would deem to be said to offend but not taken as seriously enough to cause trouble. Hun/Tim is more a better comparison. Neither I really think are acceptable on a forum tbh, particularly one that is Killie-based and we have nothing to do with the OF rivalry. It just makes us look as bad as them. 

Fenian however is inciteful, bigoted bile. Used solely to create trouble and has no place in football, if anywhere. 

7 minutes ago, Garvis said:

I wish the people who use both words knew what they actually mean and the people who get offended by them knew the true meanings and the West of Scotland would be a better place to live.

Language doesn't stand still and words change meaning over time. I mean, literally literally doesn't mean literally anymore! Knowing the true meaning of the words wouldn't change anything; the words themselves are just hollow vessels of sectarian bile, to be casually lobbed about.The intent or insinuation is the same however "educated" the user.

EDIT: Which is to say in too many words, context matters.

Edited by kevin1869

4 minutes ago, Souleycouley93 said:

They are Huns + Tims . 

Fenian isn’t acceptable . 

This for me I work in a workshop which is 90% OF. And this is normal non offensive terminology between them. Meanwhile we are tottie howkers. Don’t hear the huns/tims without the bus fare s**t thankfully although it helps that we’ve skelped both arse cheeks this season

1 hour ago, Gallus said:

Following on from the thread about McCoist going to do the draw and people calling him a hun, Boydy gets it alot aswell. Is 'hun' acceptable on the forum? if it is, is 'fenian' acceptable? I don't use either term but you never see the latter on here where hun is banded about quite freely...

Is one worse than the other?

Who cares

56 minutes ago, CB said:

Doesn't the etymology of 'hun' as a descriptor for rangers stem from a report in a local north of England paper, when, describing the scenes in their town upon being visited by their fans as 'a hoard of marauding huns, sacking the town'?

Apparently so and then picked up by the late Ian Archer in his column I think. It was used in the context of a tribe such as the Visigoths so it certainly doesn't have the same connotations as fenian does. 

Like another poster I talk about Huns and Tims with old firm supporting pals and it doesn't bother them. It's just like saying the Arabs are playing the Sheepshaggers in the cup tomorrow. 

Edited by historyman

17 minutes ago, SCOOT KFC said:

All 3 of the words are offensive. Yes you may say these words to your OF pals and they take it as banter, however you don’t get to choose who takes offence. Best thing to do is not use any of them and focus on Killie. 

For a long time I called them huns and tims. Then the Sevco fans got all precious about it and whined that it was bigoted. I don't use it anymore as I don't want to give away an inch of moral high ground to those puddle drinkers.

Anyway, the whole Sevco thing winds them up more.

Fenian is worse than tim, but see above re: moral high ground.

15 minutes ago, Mogwai said:

For a long time I called them huns and tims. Then the Sevco fans got all precious about it and whined that it was bigoted. I don't use it anymore as I don't want to give away an inch of moral high ground to those puddle drinkers.

Anyway, the whole Sevco thing winds them up more.

Fenian is worse than tim, but see above re: moral high ground.

To be fair I’ve been calling them Zombies and Tattie munchers for a few years.  Neither is sectarian but both annoy the fk out of the minks.

Yet to meet a Celtic minded one that would be insulted by being called a Fenian, as it's one of their favourite songs, Down by the Glenside/The Bold Fenian Men, which they see as a compliment, as most support the forming of the Irish Republic, whereby a Fenian was the term used for a supporter of the cause whether they be Catholic or Protestant, as the IRA consisted off both, in fact their flag is Green to represent the Catholic community, White to symbolise Peace/Harmony and Orange (Note not Gold) to represent the Protestant community...(have a laugh pointing that out to them)

Tims I could understand some resentment as your basically calling them a Gangster....

Huns take any reasons out of two, a Nomadic tribe from the East of Europe (possibly speaking Romany) or the term used for someone of Germanic origins or someone with an overenthusiastic love for them.....or a family of that root....LOL