Let’s be having you

Stefanus

Yeah, it’s late. And yeah, I’m a bit pissed. I might regret this in the cold light of day.......

It’s a great time to be a Killie fan. But holy s**t, what do we have to do to get a decent crowd? 

We have the best manager in the league. The best player in the league. One of the greatest top flight goal scorers of all time, still scoring goals for us. And yet we can’t muster 4000 home fans for a cup tie with a quarter final place up for grabs. What do folk want? I’m not interested in any comparison with Partick, Motherwell or St Johnstone etc. We are Killie. We have Steve Clarke. We have Mulumbu. We beat Rangers. We beat Celtic. We win 6 home games in a row.  These are real “I was there” moments. And yet we aren’t. Well, not as many as we should be. 

Am I being unreasonable? 

Thought today wasn't bad for a Cup game against a small team, when everyone was paying at the gate and we have a game on Tuesday

It will be interesting to see how many we actually get on Tuesday against Dundee. as our biggest home support so far this season was against Hibs in a midweek game

That was immediately after two draws with Celtic and Rangers 

Our last home league game before Celtic last week, was pre Christmas against Rangers

As many choose not to go to those games, I am hopeful with our good form since, that we will get a decent crowd at this one

There are plenty of supporters who work weekends, so surely they will be desperate to come along

Edited by Killie Conman

5 hours ago, Stefanus said:

Yeah, it’s late. And yeah, I’m a bit pissed. I might regret this in the cold light of day.......

It’s a great time to be a Killie fan. But holy s**t, what do we have to do to get a decent crowd? 

We have the best manager in the league. The best player in the league. One of the greatest top flight goal scorers of all time, still scoring goals for us. And yet we can’t muster 4000 home fans for a cup tie with a quarter final place up for grabs. What do folk want? I’m not interested in any comparison with Partick, Motherwell or St Johnstone etc. We are Killie. We have Steve Clarke. We have Mulumbu. We beat Rangers. We beat Celtic. We win 6 home games in a row.  These are real “I was there” moments. And yet we aren’t. Well, not as many as we should be. 

Am I being unreasonable? 

Are you being unreasonable.? No

5 hours ago, Stefanus said:

Am I being unreasonable? 

Well said. Sad but true

Noticed a couple of Facebook friends that don’t normally attend were at the game yesterday.

We have lost a generation of fans due to rank performances and incompetent leadership, hopefully people will start to come back slowly but surely.

As we all know football fans as are notoriously fickle. 

24 minutes ago, CB said:

A fiver to get in, as it was, more or less, a 4th place decider. And then, they cheated their way to a draw. The bast**ds

Was it by a third place decided?  Anyhow Garry Bollan punched the ball clear on the box right in front of the referee and we got fk all.  This game also contained the beat pass I’ve ever seen, Durrant took a ball just about stomach height on the volley and with the outside of his boot first times a pass 40yds cross field over and round the midfield straight to our RM’s feet.  The guy was a joy to watch.

5 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

Was it by a third place decided?  Anyhow Garry Bollan punched the ball clear on the box right in front of the referee and we got fk all.  This game also contained the beat pass I’ve ever seen, Durrant took a ball just about stomach height on the volley and with the outside of his boot first times a pass 40yds cross field over and round the midfield straight to our RM’s feet.  The guy was a joy to watch.

Aye. It was for 3rd right enough. We ended up 4h, because of that clint.

There is no buzz in Scottish football. We have a media that constantly put it down, and administrators that can't even get a sponsor, and beg TV companies for anything they can spare, as long as there is an Old Firm. I'd have Barry Hearn in as chief exec of the SFA tomorrow.

If that same game, in the same situation happened this season, would 3rd even mean anything? We've lost the Sky money from that time, and we don't have people in charge capable of getting it back.

1 hour ago, CB said:

A fiver to get in, as it was, more or less, a 4th place decider. And then, they cheated their way to a draw. The bast**ds

I'm pretty sure STHs could bring a friend for free too.

End of the season, sunny day, winner takes all match, big travelling support - I'm not sure what the poster's point was since they didn't make one.

Yes, Saints took third place but we qualified for the UEFA Cup under fair play anyway.

Edited by skygod

7 hours ago, Stefanus said:

Am I being unreasonable? 

Cant disagree. Yes crowds have increased slightly but i had expected a lot more to return by now.

Yesterday’s home crowd was up 1000 on the Hamilton cup crowd 12 moths ago.

That is a decent increase.

Yes we had Home crowds of 15,000 a while back but not too many, but we also had the odd crowd of below 1000 in the 80’s.

That’s just the way it is with Killie.

lets be positive though numbers are increasing at the moment and we should be talking that and football we are seeing up.

28 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

There is no buzz in Scottish football. We have a media that constantly put it down, and administrators that can't even get a sponsor, and beg TV companies for anything they can spare, as long as there is an Old Firm.

I think that's a negative view. The administration is dire but there's no reason why individual clubs can't generate a buzz.  

The worry is that the buzz isn't happening at Killie at the moment the way that it should. I think we deceived ourselves into believing that MJ's departure would be accompanied by the return of a significant number of NAPMers. Either they didn't exist or they are stubbornly oblivious to the undeniable upswing in fortunes and mood at RP.

The club is doing better but needs to play it's part too. A few banners around the RP estate isn't going to entice anyone who doesn't venture off Dundonald Road or South Hamilton Street. BB isn't the type to bang the drum so who will step up?

But the biggest "recruiting sergeant" is word of mouth, isn't it? Doesn't everybody know someone who has lapsed? Can't they be shamed/ nagged/ bribed into giving it at least a try again? 

They say that there is nobody more fervent than a convert so the more we can convert the better!

49 minutes ago, skygod said:

I think that's a negative view. The administration is dire but there's no reason why individual clubs can't generate a buzz.  

The worry is that the buzz isn't happening at Killie at the moment the way that it should. I think we deceived ourselves into believing that MJ's departure would be accompanied by the return of a significant number of NAPMers. Either they didn't exist or they are stubbornly oblivious to the undeniable upswing in fortunes and mood at RP.

The club is doing better but needs to play it's part too. A few banners around the RP estate isn't going to entice anyone who doesn't venture off Dundonald Road or South Hamilton Street. BB isn't the type to bang the drum so who will step up?

But the biggest "recruiting sergeant" is word of mouth, isn't it? Doesn't everybody know someone who has lapsed? Can't they be shamed/ nagged/ bribed into giving it at least a try again? 

They say that there is nobody more fervent than a convert so the more we can convert the better!

I agree that it's negative, but I'm not negative about Scottish football. I don't think the 'product' is as dreadful as is made out. We have clubs such as Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen all capable of home crowds of 20,000 as well as Rangers and Celtic - if the setup was better, these grounds would fill up and it would trickle down. See the Bundesliga - all of their games are well attended. Why not look at what they do? If you switch on Sportsound all you'll hear is a bunch of former Rangers players moaning that there is no competition in the SPFL.

You just have to look at the formation of the SPL (which we were of course a part of, and should share the blame) and how the Rangers liquidation was handled. Rangers went bust - therefore, we have a space in the bottom of the bottom division, and everyone moves up one. But no - our authorities had a TV deal predicated on four fixtures, so they tried to pretend that Rangers hadn't gone bust, and threatened to create new leagues if Rangers weren't allowed in to what is now the Championship. It proved that the league setup, club chairmen and authorities only cared about two clubs. Why would folk want to pay into a bent game? What's the point?

We're talking about an organisation that couldn't get a sponsor for the League Cup for three years. Even the FA Vase gets a sponsor every year. It's embarrassing.

You won't find anyone more in agreement that we need someone banging the drum, but in the present climate there is a ceiling on what we can achieve. There is plenty more for the club to do in terms of marketing, but at least we are showing signs of improvement.

Edited by Scooby_Doo
Forgot the bit about LC sponsors.

2 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

There is no buzz in Scottish football. We have a media that constantly put it down, and administrators that can't even get a sponsor, and beg TV companies for anything they can spare, as long as there is an Old Firm. I'd have Barry Hearn in as chief exec of the SFA tomorrow.

If that same game, in the same situation happened this season, would 3rd even mean anything? We've lost the Sky money from that time, and we don't have people in charge capable of getting it back.

I think Scottsh football is on its best position in a while. Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen are attracting much better attendances than in recent times. Hearts and Hibs have established excellent stadiums and Aberdeen are hoping to. Killie are on the way back and Saturday's attendance was reasonably encouraging, given it was pay at the gate. However, it is not unreasonable to be a bit disappointed that there is not a mini flood of people coming back given the instant upsurge when we play an AyrUtd or reach a semi or a final. There won't always be a Stevie Clarke and we won't always be beating the old firm. I think we should have returned to around 5000 home fans relatively quickly.