Motherwell away, Fred

CB

• CB unpinned this topic

Great credit to the players for digging in today for what was a really big win........all over the pitch we never gave up , led by examples of Broadfoot and Mulumbu ....we also now have far better game management in that team 

And the support there today was excellent both in numbers and backing of the team ........it's still hard to believe the huge difference under SC and  the run we are on  but the influence of the management team on the squad is obvious to see in so many ways...

long may it continue 

Edited by Scouser2

Motherwell 0-1 Kilmarnock: Stephen sends Killie into top six.....

Stephen O'Donnell climbed out his sick bed to fire home the winner to give Killie a precious 1-0 win over Motherwell.

The defender, who had been feeling unwell overnight, thought he was going to miss the Fir Park clash but he recovered to play a crucial part in a fine away win.

Former Partick Thistle man O'Donnell reacted quickly to a loose ball before expertly finding the corner with a beautifully placed strike past Trevor Carson to ensure we leapfrogged Motherwell in sixth spot.

Having pondered a few selection issues, Steve Clarke brought Jordan Jones back from suspension to replace the ill Aaron Tshibola while Youssouf Mulumbu returned for the suspended Gary Dicker.

Kris Boyd and Eamonn Brophy combined well early on with the league's joint top scorer just missing the target with a fine shot.

The hosts were looking confident following a fine run of recent form with Curtis Main and Nadir Ciftci forming a strong partnership in attack.

Chris Cadden and Elliot Frear were also looking lively on the wings and Kirk Broadfoot had to be alert to turn the ball off his own post after good work from the 'Well wingers.

O'Donnell's moment came after 34 minutes when the home side were punished for slack play in midfield with O'Donnell taking full advantage with a daisy cutter strike.

With 1,243 Killie fans making up the 5,372 crowd at Fir Park, they continued to cheer their team on as we played on the break under some strong pressure from Motherwell.

Scott Boyd, Broadfoot and Stuart Findlay were all having to clear their lines as 'Well attempted to find their way back into the match. A series of crosses and attempts were dealt with by the defence as our midweek exertions against Dundee began to show.

As substitutions altered the flow of the match, Motherwell went close from a late corner as they flooded the penalty area with crosses from wide positions. Goalkeeper Trevor Carson even made his way into the Killie penalty box in a last-ditch attempt to salvage a draw.

But it was to be Killie's day as we held on to secure a morale-boosting victory and keep our fine run of form going.

Kilmarnock: MacDonald; O'Donnell, Broadfoot, S.Boyd, Findlay; Mulumbu, McKenzie, Taylor, Jones (Burke), Brophy (Erwin), K.Boyd (I.Wilson) 

Att: 5,372

Edited by C4mmy31

Fantastic defensive display. Really impressive all game. Draw was probably a fairier result but we held on.

Quite a few dissapointing individual displays in there. A frustrating one for Jones doing his mix of getting into amazing positions then wasting it. Broadfoot somehow had an amazing game and a complete stinker at the same time... Its funny, but I could do without him noising up away fans... He' going to get sent off. Mulumbu was strong and SoD was great.

What I liked today was that we had a few folk out and the team, by the second half, were clearly knackered after Dundee, but we held on. And the crowd deserves huge credit. That atmosphere was fantastic. Bring on the a Hibees . 

19 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

I thought wee Taylor had a cracking game today. We certainly rode our luck at times with the amount of balls they put into the box but the almost own goal was the closest they got and MacDonald didn't have a difficult save to make. 

A fantastic 3 points. Top six looking like a real possibility. Should be a great game next week against Hibs. 

2 hours ago, Calummoore86 said:

SC has now only lost 3 of his 18 games in charge (19 if you include the win at Partick).

Not including the win at Partick - W10 D5 L3

Won 9 out of last 12 games.

That is absolutely stunning record for a Kilmarnock manager in the top flight. 

I doubt I've experienced a run like that since I started going to games nearly 40 years ago. 

Edited by historyman

Great performance. I never felt they would equalise. We contained them brilliantly.  Clarke is simply an outstanding coach. Thought 3 centre backs was a mistake in the first half but he was right. The longer the game went the more we contained ciftci main and then bowman when he came on. 

Everyone put in a real shift. Special mention to SOD and Taylor. 

We're in uncharted territory here. It's fantastic. 

4 minutes ago, heynow2005 said:

Sounds very similar to the home game. They put a lot of dangerous balls in that day just didn't have a striker. Very good win ! Well done to the lads ! Should be a cracking game v hibs 

Not sure about them not having a striker, both their strikers were very lively and strong today and in my view it was very good play by our central defenders to keep them at bay and, by the end of the game, get on top of them.