How do we keep Clarke?

Zorro

1 hour ago, Zorro said:

Steve Clarke isn’t in it for the money. Skydog said so, so it must be true. We’re also too wee to have nice stuff so any good players would be sold anyway. 

Our failure to plan ahead has seen us lose many good players on the cheap, and now it looks like the majority of fans on here, are content to lose the man who’s revitalising the club, through the same fault. 

If you don’t believe Clarke is interested in money, that’s fine, but everyone wants to feel appreciated and wanted. 

I'm not even sure what your point is now... lose the man who's revitalised the club?

Where is he going? 

Everyone wants to be appreciated? 

Isn't he appreciated?

Must be a slow week for you. Jamie McDonald has dropped easy crosses in the past two games and I'd have expected you to be all over that rather than inventing a problem, that isn't there, with a manager who has two YEARS left on his deal. 

If Clarke wants to stay he will stay. If this is a stop gap to something else closer to his family in England then no ambition or appreciation will keep him here.

I thought it was fairly clear when he joined that since his family is down south that his where his home is. 

The club has three things to do here to turn us into a big club again:

1. Support the manager in terms of improving the infrastructure and team. 

2. Plan for succession - someone with the calibre to continue that work. 

3. Marketing. Get the message out EVERYWHERE!!!! Hoping that people will turn out isn't good enough. 

Failing all that, @mathematics has facilities for this kind of scenario. He might have to move an ex-defender or two out though. 

He will be here for the foreseeable future. Here he is loved by the support and both us and the media hang on his every word. He's got folk like me going yesterday to my first away game in 7 years  as well as getting people interested in the club. We had a new supporter travel with us yesterday who is now committed to going to see us play more.

In England you're four games away from being sacked. Steve Clarke here has the time to build something without the pressure of relegation or getting sacked because of a few bad results. That is what I think he wants more than anything. 

Lets enjoy him while he is here as I firmly believe that this is the start of a golden era for our club.       

2 minutes ago, Secret Squirrel said:

He will be here for the foreseeable future. Here he is loved by the support and both us and the media hang on his every word. He's got folk like me going yesterday to my first away game in 7 years  as well as getting people interested in the club. We had a new supporter travel with us yesterday who is now committed to going to see us play more.

In England you're four games away from being sacked. Steve Clarke here has the time to build something without the pressure of relegation or getting sacked because of a few bad results. That is what I think he wants more than anything. 

Lets enjoy him while he is here as I firmly believe that this is the start of a golden era for our club.       

Spot on . Positivity of the support is key . All the fans ask is for 100percent and to compete . We are more than doing that and I think the fans are starting to do their part to . Hope you enjoyed your first away game in years . 

Yes, the fans will play a part in SC staying......he is revered here which is a great and comforting feeling that you are doing a good job.

I do think, however, that he has a point to make and won't be happy until he's got us back where we belong in the upper echelons of Scottish Football.

I may be dreaming here but I do think we will have a strong case next season to be pushing towards the top of the league. Why not? 2 or 3 key signings and we could be. He has already stated, he has a plan which for now is working and delivering results. Stop the rot at the back. Harder to break down. Fitter. Away from bottom 2 spots. Who would ever have thought that Leicester City could win the English Premiership? All we kept hearing was that they wouldn't be able to sustain the form....they'd falter etc. etc.

So long as SC is doing the do, he will be here. BB will support him and as such we should support both as much as possible. Not to forget Dyer.

150th anniversary + League Title. How amazing would that be? Dare to dream?

16 hours ago, Killie lad said:

Sorry but what? He's OUR manager on a 2 1/2 year deal which he signed on the basis he wanted to help the club and you're making out he'll be gone first chance he gets.  What exactly were you expecting the replies to be? Other than duct tape and cable ties or following him around begging him to stay while feeding him grapes (which I am willing to do if it would help). I'm not really sure if you're trolling or just very stupid 

I thought it was Duck tape ? 

2 hours ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Spot on . Positivity of the support is key . All the fans ask is for 100percent and to compete . We are more than doing that and I think the fans are starting to do their part to . Hope you enjoyed your first away game in years . 

I loved yesterday the fans were in great voice and I'll definitely be making the effort to go more often.   

Edited by Secret Squirrel

3 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

I thought it was fairly clear when he joined that since his family is down south that his where his home is. 

The club has three things to do here to turn us into a big club again:

1. Support the manager in terms of improving the infrastructure and team. 

2. Plan for succession - someone with the calibre to continue that work. 

3. Marketing. Get the message out EVERYWHERE!!!! Hoping that people will turn out isn't good enough. 

Failing all that, @mathematics has facilities for this kind of scenario. He might have to move an ex-defender or two out though. 

We're being " marketed " for free like never before on the national media. I have non Kille fans talking to me all the time about us now, wherever I am. Who, in the surrounding area, could possibly not know what is happening with Killie just now? 

Edited by Mclean07

Hardly. All the national media have talked about, with some exceptions, is how our manager should be the new Sevco manager, or once that job goes, the Scotland manager. In one of the most entertaining games I've been to in a long long time, our media could only put together TWO MINUTES of highlights.

"Who, in the surrounding area, could possibly not know what is happening with Killie just now? "

Several people - I've said it before and will again - you could walk all the way round the town and surrounding area, and with the exception of the floodlights poking out above the houses on Dundonald Road, you could be forgiven for having no idea we even had a football team, let alone one that is the form team in the country.

Contrast this with a movie - when the studio releases it, and it gets a bunch of award nominations, do they think that the product is good enough for them just to release it to cinemas? Or do they put up billboards, advertise on local and national radio, local and national TV, put out Facebook and Twitter ads and put ads in the newspapers?

The club should be jumping on this success and advertising it wall to wall. But they aren't. They're still doing better than they were, but I'd rather just now that we spent some serious money on getting people in the door.

19 hours ago, Bbk said:

Here's my tuppence worth on all of this i think Steve Clarke is an honourable man who will see out his commitment to us for at least two years but as has been said he is still ambitious and as his family seem to be still based in England then maybe he will eventually return south. What if Arsene Wenger is to be replaced in the summer and say Brendan fancies that gig then maybe SC would be tempted by ceptic who whether we like to admit it or not are a 'bigger' club than us .  Of course all of this is hypothetical but as somebody once said 'its a funny old game' and that is the reality in all of this so lets all just enjoy the here and now and all pull in the one direction and see where it takes us!!

Totally agree with this. Loving my football at the moment. Also travelling away more than I’ve done in a few seasons. That’s because of what Steve Clarke has done in his short time in charge. I’d love to see him honouring his contract and bringing on his replacement. After that I’m sure he’ll fancy another shot down south. Would hate him to go to another Scottish club though.

22 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

Hardly. All the national media have talked about, with some exceptions, is how our manager should be the new Sevco manager, or once that job goes, the Scotland manager. In one of the most entertaining games I've been to in a long long time, our media could only put together TWO MINUTES of highlights.

"Who, in the surrounding area, could possibly not know what is happening with Killie just now? "

Several people - I've said it before and will again - you could walk all the way round the town and surrounding area, and with the exception of the floodlights poking out above the houses on Dundonald Road, you could be forgiven for having no idea we even had a football team, let alone one that is the form team in the country.

Contrast this with a movie - when the studio releases it, and it gets a bunch of award nominations, do they think that the product is good enough for them just to release it to cinemas? Or do they put up billboards, advertise on local and national radio, local and national TV, put out Facebook and Twitter ads and put ads in the newspapers?

The club should be jumping on this success and advertising it wall to wall. But they aren't. They're still doing better than they were, but I'd rather just now that we spent some serious money on getting people in the door.

Aye, because they've got endless funds. Maybe you can volunteer to pay for the advertising. There has been endless praise for the team and Stevie Clarke on radio and in every newspaper for the last few weeks. As I say, people from all areas and walks of life have been enthusing to me about Killie because that know I support them. It's utter Bollox to suggest the vast majority of people in Kilmarnock can be unaware of our current success. More excuses for apathy. They never end.

26 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Aye, because they've got endless funds. Maybe you can volunteer to pay for the advertising. There has been endless praise for the team and Stevie Clarke on radio and in every newspaper for the last few weeks. As I say, people from all areas and walks of life have been enthusing to me about Killie because that know I support them. It's utter Bollox to suggest the vast majority of people in Kilmarnock can be unaware of our current success. More excuses for apathy. They never end.

I had no idea advertising was so prohibitively expensive. I wonder how all of those other companies afford to advertise around Kilmarnock.

I would say it's utter bollocks to suggest that just winning a few games (because in the cold light of day, that is all we've really done) will immediately add thousands to the gate. We've already added a thousand since the manager came in, but you repeatedly ignore that fact. We were so low under Michael Johnston that even the hardcore had drifted away. I think those folk are mostly back, but now it's the rest that the club need to entice into the ground.

It's up to the club to convince them to do that. It isn't some sort of duty, like you suggest. People have many commitments and things to do with that time and money, and it's up to the club to convince them to put Killie up at the top of those priorities. If people have 'excuses' as you piously put it, then the club has to overcome those objections and give people fewer reasons not to go, or more reasons to go. It's how sales works.

I've noticed since SC arrived both on here and P&B there are quite a considerable amount of new posters, who've joined both sites, majority of whom post about their match day experience. 

Granted, not all will be fans who stopped attending RP before SC arrived but I'm positive we've attracted back more than a few folks who became disillusioned under the previous management teams.

It would be interesting to know how many have joined kickback since SC was appointed, could one of the mods perhaps enlighten us? 

I think the advertising thing is a bit of a red herring when it comes to making a meaningful impact on attendances. Is anyone in the local area who is interested in football not aware a) Killie has a football team in the SPL, b) we play at RP, c) there’s a fixture list online in innumerable websites, d) we’re doing rather well right now and it’s a good place to be.

Billboard, leaflet, newspaper, Facebook advertising isn’t free. Word of mouth, media interviews and handing out tickets to schoolkids is and should be far more effective in getting interested potential fans to the games. If you’ve no interest in Killie, a billboard telling you when the next home game is taking place isn’t going to get you to RP on Saturday for the Hibs game. Your mates telling you how fooking amazing we are and being a Killie fan is might have an impact. 

None of that will determine how happy SC is here. Results, performance and winning will.

1 hour ago, casual observer said:

Billboard, leaflet, newspaper, Facebook advertising isn’t free. Word of mouth, media interviews and handing out tickets to schoolkids is and should be far more effective in getting interested potential fans to the games. 

You do realise that word of mouth, media interviews and handing out tickets are forms of advertising don't you? 

A proper marketing strategy tests and analyses the different methods of promotion and selects the ones which give the best return on investment. The billboards and adverts on buses give people constant reminders about the matches. This is to get the people who aren't the diehards going to the game.