Enough points?

boydiesback

17 hours ago, BoydsFace said:

Assuming SC stays next season and we continue on a solid upwards trend I wonder how long it will take for us to get away from this method of thinking.

I hope we never get away from this kind of thinking. Far bigger clubs (financially not history) have had the arrogance to assume they were too big to go down and look where that got them. 

Our league priorities should always be....

1. Avoid 12th place.

2. Avoid 11th place.

3. Make the top 6.

4. Qualify for Europe.

5. Win the league.

This does not show a lack of ambition, just a sense of realism and I look forward to reaching 4 next year with an assault of 5 the year after.

The media are saying the top-six is done and dusted. They're also suggesting Killie could be looking at fourth.

I disagree with the first point and the second is bordering on the ridiculous. Defeat for Killie and win for Motherwell on Saturday has us in seventh.

I do think we're in pole-position for top-six but talking about finishing above a very good Hibs side who may finish second goes beyond extremely optimistic.

Let's keep it sensible guys 'n' gals. 

2 minutes ago, Candygram for mongo said:

The media are saying the top-six is done and dusted. They're also suggesting Killie could be looking at fourth.

I disagree with the first point and the second is bordering on the ridiculous. Defeat for Killie and win for Motherwell on Saturday has us in seventh.

I do think we're in pole-position for top-six but talking about finishing above a very good Hibs side who may finish second goes beyond extremely optimistic.

I think their blabbing is based on current form. And based on current form, yes. But, we've been kicked in the baws too many times to be so complacent. Right? ...

12 minutes ago, CB said:

I think their blabbing is based on current form. And based on current form, yes. But, we've been kicked in the baws too many times to be so complacent. Right? ...

You are absolutely right, nothing is in the bag till it is in the bag.

However, if you had said "fourth" at the end of September people would have suggested you immediately seek professional help. Now they are just calling you a bit of an optimist.

12 minutes ago, Candygram for mongo said:

I'm not sure a top four finish will happen, however I wouldn't say them suggesting it is "ridiculous".

We are 12 points behind Hibs with two games in hand. It isn't beyond the realms of impossibility that we win on Saturday and at home to a poor St Johnstone side and an even poorer Accies at a park they can't pick up points. That would leave three points with us still to play Hibernian and games against the top sides of which we have picked up more points than others. If we are within 3 points of Hibernian by the split then anything goes really.

As for top six, I believe it's done and dusted. 

Motherwells run in is: Dundee (A), Aberdeen (H), Accies (A), Rangers (H), Celtic (H)

Killie: Hibs (H), Hearts (A), SJ (H), Ross County (H), Accies (A), Rangers (A), Accies (H)

Can not see Motherwell finish above us based on this.

The top six isn't a given although we are absolutely in the best position. All the games before the split will be tough, County and Accies will be scrapping for every point.

As for the Edinburgh clubs - Hibs are a very good team and will finish above us and Hearts have lost only 1 in the last 16. I think we gave them too much of a start this year to catch either of them but 4 points from the next 2 games could give us a chance of 5th. 

Finishing in the top six or even a comfortable seventh would be a massive improvement in recent years and I'm sure most fans would be delighted with that given how we started the season.

Equally important, going to matches is now enjoyable again. It makes such a huge change to look forward to games.

29 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

I'm not sure a top four finish will happen, however I wouldn't say them suggesting it is "ridiculous".

We are 12 points behind Hibs with two games in hand. It isn't beyond the realms of impossibility that we win on Saturday and at home to a poor St Johnstone side and an even poorer Accies at a park they can't pick up points. That would leave three points with us still to play Hibernian and games against the top sides of which we have picked up more points than others. If we are within 3 points of Hibernian by the split then anything goes really.

As for top six, I believe it's done and dusted. 

Motherwells run in is: Dundee (A), Aberdeen (H), Accies (A), Rangers (H), Celtic (H)

Killie: Hibs (H), Hearts (A), SJ (H), Ross County (H), Accies (A), Rangers (A), Accies (H)

Can not see Motherwell finish above us based on this.

I said " bordering on the ridiculous " ...and obviously we could win on Saturday and our two in hand. 

Experience tells me that when teams and/or fans start counting their games in hand as cash in the bank then they often come a cropper. Even more so when the other sides are listening to hysterical rectums in the media re: how wonderful the opposition are (Killie in this instance). 

Killie v Hibs on Sat.....let's hope we can take what would be a massive 3 points or a draw and take it from there. 

For me, there's no way the top-six is done and dusted. 

To finish above this Hibs side after giving them an 8/9 game start would be truely remarkable.

Edited by Candygram for mongo

1 minute ago, Candygram for mongo said:

I said " bordering on the ridiculous " ...and obviously we could win on Saturday and our two in hand. 

Experience tells me that when teams and/or fans start counting their games in hand as cash in the bank then they often come a cropper. Even more so when the other sides are listening to hysterical rectums in the media re: how wonderful the opposition are (Killie in this instance). 

Killie v Hibs on Sat.....let's hope we can take what would be a massive 3 points or a draw and take it from there. 

For me, there's no way the top-six is done and dusted. 

To finish above this Hibs side after giving them and 8/9 game start would be truely remarkable.

Agreed, it would be remarkable and I personally believe 5th place is a more realistic aim this season. If we win on Saturday I might start to believe we can finish higher however.

3 hours ago, Bullitt said:

You've also got to bear in mind (if we do make top 6) we'll probably be in for a tough set of fixtures after the split, with visits to Easter Rd, Parkhead and Ibrox.

Edited by Fankle

35 points with another 13 league games left... surely we are looking good for one at least one of the best seasons of the last 20 odd years!  In 09/10 we didn't even get as many as 35 points in the entire season!  Need to finish 3rd for Europe, I believe, but Gers and Dons have too much of a lead on us for that.  4th would be some season!

season = pts, pos
99/00 - 37, 9th (of 10)
00/01 - 54, 4th
01/02 - 49, 7th
02/03 - 57, 4th
03/04 - 42, 10th
04/05 - 49, 7th
05/06 - 55, 5th
06/07 - 55. 5th
07/08 - 40, 11th
08/09 - 44, 11th
09/10 - 33, 11th
10/11 - 49, 5th - Mixu: manager of the year
11/12 - 47, 7th
12/13 - 45, 9th
13/14 - 39, 9th
14/15 - 41, 10th
15/16 - 36, 11th - playoff
16/17 - 41, 8th

In itself Getting top 6 spot at the split..given the past few seasons and dreadful start to this season would be a great and welcome achievement ....and give us plenty to build on for next season..

A higher placing or keeping the cup run going would be a huge bonus

When you are used to scrapping for any points, watching dreadful performances  and hoping rival relegation teams lose , its been some turnaround 

1 hour ago, Teethgrinder said:

35 points with another 13 league games left... surely we are looking good for one at least one of the best seasons of the last 20 odd years!  In 09/10 we didn't even get as many as 35 points in the entire season!  Need to finish 3rd for Europe, I believe, but Gers and Dons have too much of a lead on us for that.  4th would be some season!

season = pts, pos
99/00 - 37, 9th (of 10)
00/01 - 54, 4th
01/02 - 49, 7th
02/03 - 57, 4th
03/04 - 42, 10th
04/05 - 49, 7th
05/06 - 55, 5th
06/07 - 55. 5th
07/08 - 40, 11th
08/09 - 44, 11th
09/10 - 33, 11th
10/11 - 49, 5th - Mixu: manager of the year
11/12 - 47, 7th
12/13 - 45, 9th
13/14 - 39, 9th
14/15 - 41, 10th
15/16 - 36, 11th - playoff
16/17 - 41, 8th

Do you have the stats for points at time of split? I couldn't find them. Just know Partick got top 6 with 41 points last season..

Motherwell now, being a point behind, have Aberdeen, Hamilton, Celtic, Rangers, St J. How many points realistically can you see them getting? 6-8 if they do well?

If we beat St Johnstone and take 9 points from a run of fixtures that includes Ross County, Hamilton (x2) and Partick then we'll have more than secured top 6 IMO.

It looks like we're now at the stage where it would take a massive change in fortunes for all teams involved for us to not finish top 6 - I have seen us blow top 6 with literally seconds left to play so I'm never 100% confident.

Making very conservative estimates in both directions, I think Well will get 9 or 10 points from their remaining 5 fixtures, and we will get 12 from our remaining 7. So I think we will do it.

I think Well have what it takes to beat Aberdeen at Fir Park as well as St Johnstone and potentially "The", as well as get a point or 3 at Accies. even if they get 12 we would still beat them by a point in my scenario.

I'd still not rule St Johnstone out of the top 6 equation but they would have to see a rapid turnaround in their home form starting tonight against "The".

I'd be hugely surprised if Well pick up that amount of points tbh - anything is possible though.

If we beat Hearts tonight, big if, then they could be drawn into the battle for top/bottom 6. I'd probably rule St Johnstone out at this point tbh. I realise they have the same games in hand as us but they are 6 points away from us. If St Johnstone managed to pull themselves back into it then the game v Well going into the split is huge.

Watched St Johnstone last night and they were really poor. Been a long time since I’ve seen them as bad. They rolled over and got pumped. What was also evident is they really lost their cool. Could easily have conceded another penalty or two with some iffy defending. The boy Kane was lucky to stay on the park after a kick out however tame it was. It’ll be a big ask for them to win the required games to pass both ourselves and Well for top six.