Mulumbu targets top 4

Rusty Oz

Youssouf Mulumbu urges Kilmarnock teammates to target Europe and insists Steve Clarke's men fear no-one

Killie moved into the top-six of the Scottish Premiership with victory over Motherwell but their star man Mulumbu believes they can go further and finish in the top four.

Youssouf Mulumbu helped Kilmarnockgatecrash the top six with another stellar show and urged his team-mates to reach for the stars by aiming for European football next season. 

The DR Congo midfielder underlined his reputation as perhaps the signing of the Scottish season by pulling the strings on Saturday as Killie beat Motherwell to leapfrog them into the top half of the table.

And Mulumbu is convinced if they can maintain the form that seen them lose just three games in the 18 since Steve Clarkearrived, there’s no reason why they can’t secure a top-four berth.

He said: “We showed we can fight to be in the top six and we showed we can maybe go further. Top four could get us into Europe – you need to dream and when you have the quality this group has, you can beat any team.

“We’ve shown that. We beat Celtic, we beat Rangers, we drew over there against them. We’re not afraid of anyone, we just have to keep competing.”

Whether the 31-year-old former West Brom and Norwich player will be around next season remains to be seen. His displays almost earned him a move to French giants Bordeaux on the last day of the transfer window and such has been his level of performance there will be a queue for his signature at the end of the season.

For the moment though, Mulumbu is loving life where he is – and admits he’s been hugely surprised by the quality of the Scottish game.

Asked if he was disappointed when the Bordeaux deal didn’t work out, he said: “There were mixed emotions. It was a big team in France but I’ve been doing well since I came here and didn’t want to let my team down.

“When the deal was cut, I wasn’t too down. Maybe something better is going to come.

“We keep winning here and I am just looking forward to seeing what we can do. The main thing is to make this team progress and that is what is happening right now.

“You can see the confidence among the players. You can see what the coach has put in the team. When teams come and play at Rugby Park, it will be a bit with fear.

“When you play against Celtic or Rangers it is easier with motivation because you are playing against a big team. But my performance against Motherwell showed I just want to play, to enjoy it and show who I am.

“People were saying I was finished and I am old but you see me sprinting, tackling and going box-to-box. If I can keep doing you never know what can happen. I am enjoying every game here and every training session.

“You know more players from Rangers and Celtic because they are famous clubs. But I am more surprised by the way Partick Thistle and Dundee want to play, for example. Aberdeen and Hibs have some very good players.

“It makes me the think the league is underestimated by people.”

Mulumbu also revealed he wasn’t surprised to still have Clarke as his gaffer, after the SFA’s decision to name Alex McLeish as Scotland manager.

He added: “I don’t see him as a national coach. He’s someone who likes to teach every day. He’s doing well with Kilmarnock and who knows where he’s going to go?”

Nowhere soon, is the hope of Killie fans. Same goes for Mulumbu.

3 minutes ago, Dillinger said:

"And Mulumbu is convinced if they can maintain the form that seen them lose just three games in the 18 since Steve Clarkearrived"

Where's the article from? That should be "saw" or "has seen"! 

P18  W10  D5  L3. We've won 9 of our last 12 games and only lost 1 of the last 11. I imagine this is beyond what even SC expected :hurrah:

There was a spell of play in the first half Saturday when we were caught a bit short down our right hand side. The speed at which Youssouf covered the ground to cover the break was fantastic - as David Coleman once said, he opened his legs & showed his class.

Almost as good as his on-park ball-boy work on Saturday...

If we want to keep him longer  (which we obviously do) we need to get more season tickets sold!  Can't remember where I saw it but did BB not say if we got another 1000 season tickets sold he could make him a better offer? So if killie fans want to see his standard play at RP we all need renew early and get more to buy in!

1 hour ago, Ktid1869 said:

If we want to keep him longer  (which we obviously do) we need to get more season tickets sold!  Can't remember where I saw it but did BB not say if we got another 1000 season tickets sold he could make him a better offer? So if killie fans want to see his standard play at RP we all need renew early and get more to buy in!

Tell you what. If we were to be set such a target I, for one, will buy a second season ticket.

As this weeks fixture is on Tv big game for Mulumbu to show what he is all about . Will get a lot of attention as with Clarke . Hopefully steps up a bit . Felt he didn’t really influence game much on Saturday . Not that he didn’t do what was asked but in a depleted side he had to work hard . Hopefully with Dicker and Power back training we can free him to roam a little this week .

13 minutes ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Felt he didn’t really influence game much on Saturday .

I sometimes wonder what game I watch on a Saturday.

Mulumbu was excellent again. Always available to take the ball, broke up plenty of their play and he generally just knows where to position himself in a game to be influential. Add in some great passes and the fact that I really noticed him being very vocal with the other players with encouragement and direction.

And all that on probably only being 90% fit following his injury.

He didn't score the winner, if that's what you mean by being influential, but to me he brings way more to the table than the glamour of goals and assists etc.

I do agree that he must look at the televised games as the one of the reasons he signed on here. So hoping that he performs even better this week!

32 minutes ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Felt he didn’t really influence game much on Saturday.

He was finding Jones from midfield with his first touch time after time. Jones has been getting pelters for his final ball but IMO the real problem is nobody in a Killie shirt was busting a gut to keep up with him. Brophy was not 100% fit and a quick break forward is not really Boydie's strong suit. I don't think Erwin could run for a bus.

IMO it was not down to Mulumbu that we lacked any threat in the 2nd half. 

2 hours ago, gdevoy said:

He was finding Jones from midfield with his first touch time after time. Jones has been getting pelters for his final ball but IMO the real problem is nobody in a Killie shirt was busting a gut to keep up with him. Brophy was not 100% fit and a quick break forward is not really Boydie's strong suit. I don't think Erwin could run for a bus.

IMO it was not down to Mulumbu that we lacked any threat in the 2nd half. 

This is a very valid point and one that should be looked at for every good chance he brings us in a game. He gets the ball and has to slow down, be it before he attacks his man or after the fact he has, and comes up with a lot of time to choose what is next play is... be it a shot or a pass. He is always so far ahead of everyone. This happened multiple times in the Well game, and it occasionally happens at home too.

(((be it a shot or a pass. He is always so far ahead of everyone. This happened multiple times in the Well game, and it occasionally happens at home too.)))

The same applied to Tommy Burns when he joined the club they are a yard ahead in there vision of some of the players round about them.That is what defines them as top class from the other players.

Jones is good but his final ball isn’t great . Regarding people not keeping up with him . I’d say he had option to slide Boyd in for a easy goal and he made an arse of it . He always goes inside when there is no room and when he should run inside to commit defender he goes to byline to cross on weaker foot . I like JJ and he is certainly exciting but it frustrates me when he is in such great positions with potential to beat anyone in league he goes the wrong way or shoots instead of passing . Clarke should iron that out . Unfortunately I think he isn’t the brightest in terms of moving off the ball . A total aspect of the game he isn’t yet doing . He loves building attacks himself . And beating a few players before crossing or being outmuscled in occasion . I think if anyone can give him that composure and ability to have a final ball it’s Clarke .