Post split fixtures

KTIDanny85

Kilmarnock to demand showdown talks with SPFL if they are landed with third Rangers away trip

Rangers have already played the rest of the top six clubs twice at home before the split and should Killie remain in the top half they look set for a third trip to Ibrox.

Kilmarnock will ask for showdown talks with the SPFL if they are forced to play Rangers at Ibrox for a third time this season.

Record Sport revealed yesterday the league are facing a potential post-split fixture headache if the top six remains as it is – with Killie currently sixth.

Rangers have played all five of their rivals in the top half of the Premiership twice at home so far this term.

But the Light Blues will be due two games in Govan after the split

That means two sides from either Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs or Killie will face a third visit to Ibrox.

Traditionally, it’s the lowest-ranked clubs who move fixtures.

And the Ayrshire side are concerned at the unfairness of being sent to Ibrox but will keep their powder dry until the placings are finalised.

Steve Clarke’s side drew 1-1 with Rangers at Ibrox in October and will return to Govan to face the Light Blues on March 17.

Dont see any quotes from anyone at the club. Obv from a money view point this wouldn't be good, but it would be great if we do finish top 6 and get Gers at Ibrox and beat them.

It’s all a bit of a mess. Surely the SPFL would be trying to estimate the top 6 at the beginner of the season.

Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen a given. With Hearts and Hibs being more probable than the rest. That just leaves 6th place as an unknown team. They could have easily avoided the problem of Rangers playing all these teams at home twice before the split.

25 minutes ago, Skora11 said:

It’s all a bit of a mess. Surely the SPFL would be trying to estimate the top 6 at the beginner of the season.

That's exactly what they do.  We have upset the applecart by challenging for the top 6. Which to be fair nobody would've expected last summer.

If we have to go to Ibrox 3 times as a result of exceeding expectations then so be it. As long as we end up with 19 home and away games, which we will.

"showdown talks" can just see BB ordering his fleet of trucks to encircle Hampden ...as the Kilmarnock board member strode up the steps for these talks .....

no quotes , no names ----will find it surprising anyone at RP mentioned the word showdown ------ probably if a reporter called RP --- the conversation went ---would you be happy to play Rangers again away ? ---answer  -- probably not -- reporter -- thanks 

1 hour ago, skygod said:

Don’t they do that? 

I think Hibs, as newly promoted, would have been ranked as Bottom Six as a matter of course. 

If you had to predict your top 6 at the beginning of the season Hibs would have surely been one of them? 

Just because they were newly promoted should have affected that decision. I’m pretty sure they would have factored Rangers in to the top 6 when they were promoted.

34 minutes ago, Skora11 said:

If you had to predict your top 6 at the beginning of the season Hibs would have surely been one of them? 

Just because they were newly promoted should have affected that decision. I’m pretty sure they would have factored Rangers in to the top 6 when they were promoted.

Based on the last 3-4 years final standings, St Johnstone would surely have been factored into a top 6 finish also.

47 minutes ago, Skora11 said:

I thought it wasn't about predictions, it is about standings and positions from the season before.

Sorry but this story is a pile of mince in some respect and the reporter should be questioned where he got this information, why ? Surely any team in the top six will be demanding a meet with SPFL if the have to go to Ipox 3 times so why just Killie. Why would this story come to light now when we don't even know if we will be in the top 6 or even if we will play Rankers 3 times a Ipox.

Another sh*t stirring media pile of mince !!!!!

1 hour ago, KillieBus said:

As you are no longer guaranteed 2 home and 2 away, it could be argued that all post split games should be treated like cup ties and the gate money split.

I wonder what two clubs would scream the most at that idea...

Split a percentage of each persons season ticket money? 

24 minutes ago, skyhigh said:

Split a percentage of each persons season ticket money? 

No, just any extra money taken at the gate or individual ticket money. Might no add up to much but it would be something.

It's not a great idea and probably wouldn't work, but you don't get great ideas out of things like a split league.

1 hour ago, Candygram for mongo said:

The split is a nonsense. Always has been. Steve Clarke and Alex Dyer must think football up here is run by people who've not quite reached amateur level yet. 

100% this as well. No stupid split, no stupid problems like this.

Last year the c**ts announced the old firm fixture two weeks before the other fixtures.

it's also always the first game after the split unless Celtic have a chance of winning the league that date and if they do, they make it later to make sure it's a dead rubber.

Absolute clowns. Can't believe that bellend Doncaster still has a job.

In fact, I can.

Wasn't a fan if the split when it came in but it certainly fulfils the objective of reducing the number of meaningless games towards the end of the season so I've actually came to quite like it. However, in a situation like this any club without the minimum required number if OF games should be compensated by the league as that was one of the 'benefits' it was sold in on.

I do think the play-off is unfair though. It should be a straight two down. It's loaded far to much in the SPFL team's favour. We have thankfully benefited from that but I'd hate to be the team trying to get up via the play-offs. Is it not the case that only Accies have managed it once and that's it? That's why I was terrified of going down, it's a hard league to get out of as a few clubs have found to their cost. Practically half the teams in the league who would consider themselves to be an SPFL club. 

I like the split. It’s disappointing they can’t use the post split fixtures as a title decider and try to make the OF game a dead rubber. @historyman your right about the playoff being loaded in the top flight clubs favour. I’m not sure I’d go straight away for two being relegated automatically but I’d certainly be in favour of two playoff semi finals and the winners squaring off at a neutral venue. 

Aside from the financial hit of not getting a fourth home game against the OF I don’t think it would be a huge issue having to go to ibrox three times. I’m guessing if we are in the top six our income will already be significantly higher for league placing than we’ve budgeted for. We’ve already had three big crowds for OF Home games, two decent attendances at Home cup ties and an away tie in the next round against one of the better attended sides in the country.