Old RP

Souleycouley93

If we're honest with ourselves, It was a s**thole. But, because so many good times were had, the rose tinted specs shall prevail in this discussion.

Wait 'til the best playing surface in Scotland squad arrive. Because they confuse best, with always playable. 

I await your reds.

1 minute ago, CB said:

If we're honest with ourselves, It was a s**thole. But, because so many good times were had, the rose tinted specs shall prevail in this discussion.

Wait 'til the best playing surface in Scotland squad arrive. Because they confuse best, with always playable. 

I await your reds.

By comparison to other stadiums the old RP was far from being a s**thole.Both the playing surface and facilities were excellent. From memory the playing surface was always flat,had a decent amound of grass on it and as you say was almost always playable. 

Times are very different both in terms of facilities for spectators and players. 

Memories associated with old rp are more intense than those associated with the new ground but that’s likely as much to do with the noise Nd colours that are more vivid when your a boy or young adult - than it is to do with the stadium. Davie Elliot’s goal to equalise against Ayr, 3 1 win in the league cup against hibsin early 80s ( dig big d and Paul Clarke get all 3 between them?), mackinnon penalty versus Cowdenbeath, heats replays and Paul Martin goal, Ian Bryson in 3 0 win against Dumbarton. Many. The new stadium is functionally better and we are making new memories recently but there was a greater sense of community for me when we’d had standing. I could meet mates and acquintenances without planning cause they knew where I stood. No fear of someone else taking spAcefor those that were not season ticket holders. We were all together. It makes a difference. Current ground would benefit from some standing area.

will never forget the Hamilton promotion game. Never seen it so packed in my life and there was just a charge in the air the second you walked in. Absolutely terrible game!

Also fond memories of the first game back in the premier against Dundee, Tam Broon scoring in a 1-0 win. 

There just was an intensity at the big games on the terracing which was never matched at the new rugby park (in my opinion) and I think it's great that there's a general move back towards standing at football.

Edited by KFC_Macca

The east enclosure, now the East Stand had a cracking atmosphere, especially Ayrshire Derbies, when the segregation fence was further up towards the halfway line under the roof before it was moved to its position in the photo. That was the main place for the choir. It brings back some fantastic memories tbh :hurrah:

Edited by C4mmy31
spelling

Got to say that the old RP beats the new hands down for atmosphere . I had one season in the enclosure in the 70’s and my memory of it was that it was weird mix of youngsters and old men with the latter made up of the usual moaners , so very like the new stadium in that respect ;) 

Liftovers , smoking under the Johnnie Walker stand , and on one occasion with my pal breaking into the box that had the numbers for the half time scoreboard are some of my abiding memories 

1 minute ago, C4mmy31 said:

The east enclosure, now the East Stand had a cracking atmosphere, especially Ayrshire Derbies, when the segregation fence was further up towards the halfway line under the roof before it was moved to its position in the photo. That was the main place for the choir. It brings back some fantastic memories tbh :hurrah:

And remember that the old segregation fence was just a 3 foot wooden fence as opposed to the full height metal cage!I'm sure it was in the Bobby Fleeting era that the fence moved to the end of the east enclosure and that sent the away fans under the Jonnie Walker stand.

Still prefer the old ground, as early memories are always more rose tinted..Great memories of games v Hearts in particular..the 'promotion' decider in 1982 when there was around 10,000 there, the two cup ties in 87 with huge crowds. Obviously the Hamiton promotion game, and beating Rangers with Tam Black's free-kick. In fairness there were also many games with around 1-2000 there in the 1st Division, and was also at the Alloa 'lowest ever crowd' one. Standing at the segregation fence was a great atmosphere at big games, which has never been matched in the new stadium, with the away fans generally being in a different stand.

Used to be able to walk through the gate in my back garden fence in S.Hamilton St straight into the ground (during the week when it was empty I hasten to add, not on a match day! :)). Even just sitting in the back garden when I was really young and listening to the crowd from there was great.

Also some of the great characters you could stand next to/around in the old place...always remember the guy who held what seemed to be a huge ghetto blaster type radio on his shoulder every other week, and listened to the other matches, which he always kept you up to date with..went with his brother iirc. 

Edited by Jedi2

Strange how memories come back was there not a midweek game V Hearts when the Polis on horseback came on to the park when there was a rammy between us & them. Then there was the night Kenny Brannigan nutted Derek Cook and Jim Fleeting bounced him out the club the next day! ! Different days indeed but the old ground has fond memories.

My favourite character was an old boy who went into the enclosure.His name was "Hughy", he wore a bow tie and always had a copy of the Morning Star with him. Other than his name I have never learned any more about him. He was very well spoken and wuld shout "Cmon lads ,Cmon Killie". Would love to know who he was.

3 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

That kenny Brannigan headbut on cook ( after only about 3 or 4 mins as I recall) was the simgle most violdnt act I ever seen at a football match ( live at least). Brutal. Fleeting took correct action. Waters double turned defeat to victory for the 10 men as I recall.

You’re right remember it vividly as was close to front of East Stand.

Would have been charged with assault nowadays!!

23 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

Also some of the great characters you could stand next to/around in the old place...always remember the guy who held what seemed to be a huge ghetto blaster type radio on his shoulder every other week, and listened to the other matches, which he always kept you up to date with..went with his brother iirc. 

Was there not a Killie fan they used to call 'Eveready' who had a radio at every game?

Edited by Pelesboots