Old RP

Souleycouley93

16 minutes ago, tanerba'Tam said:

Strange how memories come back was there not a midweek game V Hearts when the Polis on horseback came on to the park when there was a rammy between us & them. Then there was the night Kenny Brannigan nutted Derek Cook and Jim Fleeting bounced him out the club the next day! ! Different days indeed but the old ground has fond memories.

The 2 games you mention came straight into my head when a thought of the old rugby park!other thing was the stretcher that looked like it was on pram wheels they used to have at the side of the pitch

1 hour ago, Pelesboots said:

Was there not a Killie fan they used to call 'ever ready' who had a radio at every game?

I remember him well. And there was the brothers Love. And general roy from galston. Fat tam the dustbin man. The day we got relegated at Palmerston I was 3 feet away from our current MP who was bawling his eyes out on the pitch. So was I right enough :-)

Edited by Ycfc1922

15 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

That kenny Brannigan headbut on cook ( after only about 3 or 4 mins as I recall) was the simgle most violdnt act I ever seen at a football match ( live at least). Brutal. Fleeting took correct action. Waters double turned defeat to victory for the 10 men as I recall.

Did Brannigan no come on as a sub walk straight up to cook and stick the nut on him?

22 minutes ago, Blackislekillie said:

I'd rather be standing in the covered terracing on Saturday near the floodlight pylon like I did back in the day than sitting in the Douglas Baader Memorial stand. And CB, yes, it was a magnificent playing surface in those days. 

The bottle neck at the pylon in the East terracing after a game was murder, people pushing & shoving to get out. H&S would shut us down nowadays if that still happened. Changed times indeed :hurrah:

Edited by C4mmy31

21 minutes ago, Jasg said:

Did Brannigan no come on as a sub walk straight up to cook and stick the nut on him?

t was early in the game. No substitute. Rusty harkness came off the bench against the scum in an Ayrshire cup final and lasted about 30 seconds before the temptation to clatter into someone (can’t remember who) got too much for him and got sent off. Hope it was templeton 

Edited by Ycfc1922

24 minutes ago, Ycfc1922 said:

I remember him well. And there was the brothers Love. And general roy from galston. Fat tam the dustbin man. The day we got relegated at Palmerston I was 3 feet away from our current MP who was bawling his eyes out on the pitch. 

The Loves, Donald, Ian & Robert, who played with Auchinleck Talbot but canny remember the 4th brothers name.

Incidentally Ally Love, Roberts son, is the lad who got a 5 match ban from the SFA at Clyde last week.

Edited by C4mmy31

2 minutes ago, tanerba'Tam said:

There was a guy who did the Johnny Walker scoreboard and had to sift through all the numbers to put the right ones in the spaces!! 

You had to buy a programme to match it up with the letters as to who was who.... Big sales of programmes in those days so you got the half time scores.

Or sneak a look at someone else's programme :D

htboard.jpg

Many memories but most vivid are

As a kid running across the 'track' to kick the ball back when it went over the byeline and made it all the way across the massive grassy bit.

Pitch invasion when we beat QOS 6 0 to win promotion (Think it was the week after the Hearts game in the sun mentioned earlier when an old boy went for the ref.)

The crowd seemed rammed at the Hearts midweek cup replay, busiest I remember it!

The terracing had a wee narrow bit at the corner flag where the shed started that was always a pain to squeeze thru.

The midweek games under the floodlights always seemed the best

1 hour ago, CB said:

If we're honest with ourselves, It was a s**thole. But, because so many good times were had, the rose tinted specs shall prevail in this discussion.

Wait 'til the best playing surface in Scotland squad arrive. Because they confuse best, with always playable. 

Probably correct with the s**thole description, but what a great atmosphere in the shed under the floodlights. Those 3 replays in the 80s, Dundee Utd and Hearts x2 were legendary. 

Loved some of the quirky areas like the Johnny Walker "stand" as it was known. The old enclosure was great too for fan/board interaction. I was even in the away end a couple of times with mates who were fans of other clubs.

Re the pitch, my dad's mate happened to meet Graeme Souness in the stand after Rangers played a friendly there not long after he joined, his verdict was he wanted to make an immediate signing from Killie...the groundsman.

3 minutes ago, Fankle said:

Probably correct with the s**thole description, but what a great atmosphere in the shed under the floodlights. Those 3 replays in the 80s, Dundee Utd and Hearts x2 were legendary. 

Loved some of the quirky areas like the Johnny Walker "stand" as it was known. The old enclosure was great too for fan/board interaction. I was even in the away end a couple of times with mates who were fans of other clubs.

Re the pitch, my dad's mate happened to meet Graeme Souness in the stand after Rangers played a friendly there not long after he joined, his verdict was he wanted to make an immediate signing from Killie...the groundsman.

He did grounsman was David roxbourgh.

Those who refer to 15,000 or so as huge crowds would be amazed that up to 35,000 used to be shoehorned in when Rangers visited in 1960s. And it was just Rangers because Celtic never seemed to bring nearly as many.

No segregation so you were standing next to whoever you happened to be next to. The fact we were like sardines prevented any running battles but it did, as someone said above, mean that beer cans and spirit bottles were flung around.

I remember a match at New Year in 1969 when we drew with them before nearly 32,000. A mass fight amongst the players broke out on the half-way line in front of the terracing and all hell broke loose. One player from each side was sent off but it could have been three apiece like the final scoreline.

The thing I remember most is that, even when there was 3,000 - 4,000 in the ground, there could be a right good atmosphere generated. When I started going, the air was thick with pipe and cigarette smoke and people brought in carry-outs. Now you're not even allowed to stand up!

There was a lot more pitch incursions too with the opposition's hatchet-man the target. I remember the likes of Dennis D'Arcy of Montrose being attacked and Airdrie used to have a host of them - Derek Whiteford, Mark Cowan, Roy Marshall et al take a boo (in every possible way!) .  

The half-time scoreboard was fairly unique at the time, as were the grazing sheep which have been discussed before. There was also a single PA loudspeaker located between the Johnnie Walker end and the stand, which we were told was the same type as used on NATO airfields (make of that what you will).

Most grounds used to have their own idiosyncrasies in those days, like Broomfield and Cathkin with their "hooses" containing the dressing rooms.