Old RP

Souleycouley93

Been working next to shawfield for weeks. It's falling to bits aside from the stand. Terracing roof is falling in etc. Shame. 

My first game was at home to clyde but my earliest memory of playing them away was at firhill when they shared with thistle.

Was that the ground where the penalty was scored that condemmed us to division 2?

10 minutes ago, red_dug said:

Been working next to shawfield for weeks. It's falling to bits aside from the stand. Terracing roof is falling in etc. Shame. 

My first game was at home to clyde but my earliest memory of playing them away was at firhill when they shared with thistle.

Was that the ground where the penalty was scored that condemmed us to division 2?

One of my first ever away games was a midweek game at Shawfield, Killie beat Clyde 5-0 or 5-1 with John Bourke scoring a hat trick. It was absolutely pissing down all night. No idea the year but it wasn't yesterday!

2 hours ago, Boab said:

One of my first ever away games was a midweek game at Shawfield, Killie beat Clyde 5-0 or 5-1 with John Bourke scoring a hat trick. It was absolutely pissing down all night. No idea the year but it wasn't yesterday!

5-1 - it was the first round of the cup in January 1979.

12 minutes ago, BigD'sGingerLorry said:

I seem to remember this game being on Midweek Scotsport, Does anyone know if the Killiefc tv people have it?

That game was on tv. Remember my old man telling me he watched a game on tv where we scudded Clyde when he came off his back shift.

Televised games at that level must've been rare then. Before my time.

3 hours ago, Boab said:

My first ever away game was a Saturday at Shawfield. Clyde won 4-1 and Derek Frye ran riot (Craig Brown was Clyde manager at the time). 

3 hours ago, killie billies pal said:

Think that was the night they sold glass bottles of lemonade etc, guess how that ended the goal that relegated us was a Colin McGlashan penalty at Firhill, Clyde had already moved out of Shawfield

Not to know that at the time but was the best thing that happened to us ushered in the Fleeting Burns era

1 hour ago, red_dug said:

That game was on tv. Remember my old man telling me he watched a game on tv where we scudded Clyde when he came off his back shift.

Televised games at that level must've been rare then. Before my time.

It was just highlights. Midweek highlights, fancy that! Used to happen regularly though.

Mind ma faither was raging coz he was avoiding the score but Brian Moore gave it away at the start of the programme.

6 minutes ago, Fankle said:

It was just highlights. Midweek highlights, fancy that! Used to happen regularly though.

Mind ma faither was raging coz he was avoiding the score but Brian Moore gave it away at the start of the programme.

Brian Moore’s head looks uncannily like London planetarium. Or did to be accurate. 

5 hours ago, red_dug said:

Was that the ground where the penalty was scored that condemned us to division 2?

It was, as I was at Firhill that day.

I couldn't go to Palmerston because I had something else on and couldn't get back in time, so went to Firhill instead.  I remember being happy as it looked like we were staying up, as Clyde looked like they would never score.  Unfortunately they did, then got the penalty in the 96/97th minute to beat St Johnstone 2-0.

From memory Tommy Tait played for Clyde that day.

12 hours ago, Jonboy said:

When I was a kid it was mostly midweek games I could go to and with the lights and a decent crowd, the atmosphere always seemed great!! Random memories include

Seeing Brian Clough and his new team Notts Forest (we beat them 2-1)

George Best for Hibs

A 3-3 game with His in the League cup. Jim Stewart saving Joe Harpers penalty and the extended 18 yard line for offsides

Beating Rangers 2-1 with Joe Cairney scoring for us

Bobby Street scoring early v Rangers and us winning 1-0 to stay up.

5-0 v Montrose on a snowy night, might have been Iain McCullochs last game?

Best til last, Derrick McDicken's winner v Celtic in the Cup replay!

If its the same 5 nil against Montrose im thinking about Iain McCulloch wasnt in the team . but sure Tommy McLean scored a hat trick

5 hours ago, skygod said:

5-1 - it was the first round of the cup in January 1979.

We were absolutely brilliant that night - or so it seemed, Clyde were probably abysmal. Bourke, Gibson and Street were unstoppable. It was indeed on Scotsport as we got to see it when we got back but they probably scrubbed the tapes in those days with the next game. Half time entertainment at Shawfield was trying to smash the fairy lights with chukkies, none of your cheerleaders or crossbar challenges!

37 minutes ago, Ken T said:

It was indeed on Scotsport as we got to see it when we got back but they probably scrubbed the tapes in those days with the next game.

The whole programme from that night would not have been kept in the archive. However, there is a good chance that they would have kept the goals. There's loads of footage from Scotsport/Sportscene from the 70's and 80's on You Tube.

2 hours ago, charlie1 said:

If its the same 5 nil against Montrose im thinking about Iain McCulloch wasnt in the team . but sure Tommy McLean scored a hat trick

When would that have been as Tommy McLean left us in 1971 and I don't remember us being in the same league as Montrose at that time? 

McCulloch didn't play for us until a couple of years after McLean left Klllie. 

15 hours ago, BigD'sGingerLorry said:

Rusty and Stuart McLean got sent off but I forget who the other was.

Don't think I've ever been as raging at a football game before or since, as a wee kid at the time the sense of injustice was overwhelming.

In my memory, Rusty Harkness basically trotted on the pitch and took the first opportunity he got to do a chest high two-footed tackle on the first opponent he got near.  Was already jogging off before that wee cheat Thow could eagerly brandish his red card again.

Loads of more positive memories about the old RP though, most of which have been mentioned.  I don't think it's just nostalgia that the atmosphere was miles better than now, way more noise made when a few hundred like-minded fans are crammed together either singing, booing Peter Grant, or mocking s**tey s**tey s**tey s**tey Galloway.  You can't really jump around like a dafty when there's such a tiny space between rows of seats that any sudden movements are likely to make you fall over.

8 hours ago, Pelesboots said:

When would that have been as Tommy McLean left us in 1971 and I don't remember us being in the same league as Montrose at that time? 

McCulloch didn't play for us until a couple of years after McLean left Klllie. 

Memory playing tricks on me  it was 4-1 Killie in the 1st round of Scottish cup after a 1-1 draw at Montrose in  1968/69 Season

That third pic down of the main stand with the standing enclosure still in front was how it was when my Dad first started to take me to games when I was about 3 or 4. As somebody mentioned above the enclosure generally then (the mid 70s) was a mix of moany old men and wee weans. We tended to stand towards the Johnnie Walker end rather than the middle and usually (apart from bigger games) there was only me and my Dad and a dribble of other people there. We ended up referring to that bit of old RP as "The Gary Bit" because of that and it wasn't until I was a bit older that I started to realise that this wasn't actually the real name of that bit of the ground but just what my family called it!

I only ever experienced the enclosure at reserve games when only the West Stand was open.

It was good to get a closer perspective on the game and the enclosure always seemed to be the place to hear the latest club gossip long before the days of fanzines and internet.

It's hard to believe that managers used to watch games seated in the dugouts. They hardly ever used to venture out. Of course, in the days before substitutes, you would only have the gaffer, trainer and maybe one or two others. Then one substitute came along in the mid-1960s followed by, I don't know, two? Three?

Maybe that's why managers started to stand outside them!

Edited by skygod

On 23/02/2018 at 7:57 AM, Souleycouley93 said:

Seems as though the health and safety nowadays has ruined the game a bit . Ofcourse I can see why . As mentioned if you were used to people bring carry outs and smoking standing all game . To then go to RP recent years where you can hardly doing a pish without stewards telling you what to do . I get the feeling stewards have alot more power nowadays . Even on Saturday at Motherwell . They had taped off a chunk of lower section and it was rammed instead of allowing people who were wanting to sit there they send them up to top tier of stand . 

Terrible eh. Lets go back to the days of Hillsborough, Heysel and the Bradford fire. And while we're at it bring back the mass pishing behind the old East Stand. Nothing finer than the smell of pish with a hint of lager at 3.45 on a Saturday. On second thoughts..........   Agree that atmosphere has suffered though.

I think people my age tend to look back at the old ground as having a great atmosphere and great pitch, but the pitch wasn't always lush and the crowd wasn't always noisy. It isn't easy to get singing/chanting going when those wanting to join in are spread over a large area. Against that, the relatively small home support at the Sevco,Celtic, and Dundee games made a hell of a noise, particularly the Dundee game when everybody there went ballistic.

23 hours ago, CB said:

Clyde? I'm only seeing 97 cup. @Philo?

Sadly no, don't have the 79 game.
STV's archives do seem to be quite good judging by the 'blink and you'll miss' them clips on their wee Quizball programme. Dumbarton at RP in 1975 was one, so they probably still have the goals, if not the full highlights.
Accessing TV companies archives is notoriously difficult (and expensive) for joe public. Myself and others managed it with LWT and Tyne Tees a couple of times for music clips but we all had to chip in ... and tell the necessary lies that it was for research purposes. Average was about £100 for a half hour show.
If anyone has contacts at STV it might be worth a shout.