Summer football

Caldow

6 minutes ago, Caldow said:

Expanding an idea from a comment on another thread.....

What about summer football and weekend evening kick-offs?

Personally - I like it

Living in Australia where evening matches are pretty much the norm, personally I love it. Can't beat a Friday/Saturday night out at the Footy/AFL/Cricket after a hard week at work.

“Summer” in this case running from around March to November?!

There is a precedent in Ireland where they have a “summer” season and attendances there are currently very healthy, albeit from a lower base than in Scotland. 

The fact that their international team is formed from players playing outside of the RoI means that the argument that summer football would impact on the international team doesn’t apply. 

What about the other argument that clubs would be disadvantaged in European competition? Well, the preliminary rounds are played in the middle of the season so it should be an advantage. 

Even when Dundalk progressed to the later stages a couple of years ago they kept fit by playing friendlies against clubs who were in the middle of their seasons. 

It would be well worth a trial, I think, but for the fact that such a trial would be hugely disruptive on the seasons on either side of it. 

I’m not even sure how a transition would operate. 

Edited by skygod

Really don't understand why this isn't seriously considered...tradition I guess. 

March to November. We could still (if they wanted) have a three week break in the middle to allow for players etc to get away with families in school holiday time. This break could be used to play in the Euro/Word Cup in the unlikely event that Scotland qualify. We wouldn't have to listen to any nonsense from teams' failure to get past pub teams at the first hurdle in Europe due to lack of match fitness....they'd just need to accept they're pish which might have a positive knock-on effect re: addressing the problem as a whole in this country. 

The comfort factor for fans would be positive too. Sitting at games Dec to Feb can be quite an endurance test. Obviousy March/April and Oct/Nov can be too but not necessarily. 

Lastly T.V. Footy from Mid-May to Mid-Aug (possibly minus 3 weeks). This might generate a beter deal for clubs. 

Aye, just go for it.

13 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I honestly think crowds would be lower.

Much more to do in the summer than there is winter.

Disagree. Being able to go to the footy in your shirt sleeves and not having to wrap up like you're going to Antartica would entice other fans. I opted out of going to RP a couple of times already this season in sub-zero temps....logically it just didn't make sense to pay £20 to sit outside for two hours. 

Don't we play in the height of summer already? BetFred starts the second week of July.

18 minutes ago, Candygram for mongo said:

Lastly T.V. Footy from Mid-May to Mid-Aug (possibly minus 3 weeks). This might generate a beter deal for clubs. 

I fear we may have missed the boat on that one. Sky paid the RFL 50 millions to switch to 'summer' Guaranteeing teams income incase it was a disaster. At the time, sky would have sold their own grannies to have decent sport on during the 'summer' to lessen the subscription churn. It worked, for the most part.

Sky, and to a lesser extent BT are now sorted for 'summer' sport. That's not to say we wouldn't get anything. We'd get some, just not as much as if we'd done it when the SPL became a thing.

20 minutes ago, Candygram for mongo said:

Disagree. Being able to go to the footy in your shirt sleeves and not having to wrap up like you're going to Antartica would entice other fans. I opted out of going to RP a couple of times already this season in sub-zero temps....logically it just didn't make sense to pay £20 to sit outside for two hours. 

Would entice some, would put off others who would rather go for family days out etc on a warm summers day.

Winter is s**te enough without having any football on.

Can't say I've ever decided not to go to a game as it's "cold" but each to their own I suppose.

Pretty chilly out there today, hopefully you make ti. Should be a good game!

Edited by Squirrelhumper

1 hour ago, Candygram for mongo said:

How sad

1 hour ago, Candygram for mongo said:

Don’t you have a jacket? 

Here is the old man tip - long johns. They will change winter football.

It’s a no-brained, and with a winter World Cup coming up it would be the ideal time to trial it but the SFA and SPFL won't have the foresight to see that. 

As for the “families have other things to do on summer nights” argument... most games would be played on a Saturday the same, and as a football fan it would be the pinnacle of the week. Could be a real game changer for Scottish football. 

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Would entice some, would put off others who would rather go for family days out etc on a warm summers day.

Winter is s**te enough without having any football on.

Can't say I've ever decided not to go to a game as it's "cold" but each to their own I suppose.

Pretty chilly out there today, hopefully you make ti. Should be a good game!

Yes made it today. It wasn't sub-zero today so fairly pleasant.

As a matter of interest, who is it you're quoting when writing ' "cold" ?'

6 hours ago, Candygram for mongo said:

Whit!

Get some winter gear and get yourself out the door 

8 minutes ago, Dillinger said:

Whit!

Get some winter gear and get yourself out the door 

I do adorn winter clothing and attend, but when it's minus 3 or 4...there's a decision to make.

Would you sit out the back door for dinner all wrapped up, in sub-zero temps at a bargain price of £20? I have to say, that proposal would present a significant dilemma. 

The 2017 Scottish Cup Final was on the 27th May, the League Cup started on 15th July.

If you're going to play summer football, which 50 days are you going to designate as "winter?"

The weather is going to be s**te for half the season no matter when you play it. Welcome to Scotland.

36 minutes ago, Lroy said:

The 2017 Scottish Cup Final was on the 27th May, the League Cup started on 15th July.

If you're going to play summer football, which 50 days are you going to designate as "winter?"

The weather is going to be s**te for half the season no matter when you play it. Welcome to Scotland.

That kind of nonsense would go, it would be rearranged to a far more sensible format, ie you would have far more than 50 days between seasons. 

Increasing the league to 18 would be the first thing to do, meaning 34 league games in a season. 

Feck all to do with just the weather. I've always believed we should shutdown for most of December as folk have more than enough worries what to do with their money. I hear the argument that it's tradition and some exiles are home and want to take in a game or two.
I'm also hearing an argument I'd never really considered before, that many are fixed in their ways about the particular two or three weeks away they have in the Summer, so they'd miss games. It's not what we as a family did but each to their own.
I'd cover for folk (mostly after my kids were grown up) over the festive period if they'd reciprocate and cover for me out of holiday season.
Not adding much to the actual Summer Football debate, just my two-bobs worth.

I go back and forward on the merits of Summer football, and even if we go for it, its not as simple as its proponents make it. Craig Anderson (killie fan) from The Terrace Podcast wrote a good article about it, which lists some of the issues with summer football. 

http://terracepodcast.net/aint-no-cure-for-the-summertime-blues/