Killie vs Ross County

Dillinger

Massive game on Saturday. At home to the worst team in the league, who have just appointed a new manager - always a worry that they'll have that "new manager bounce" and it seems he has a decent enough pedigree given that he took their Development League team to the title last season.

I'd still predict a comfortable win for us. If I were to make any changes, it would just be Mulumbu (if fit) coming back in for Tshibola. The Erwin/Brophy debate is a tough one, but I think I'd stick with big Lee.

A dangerous game indeed as teams are getting to the last chance saloon and RC's 4-0 win at Dens shouldn't be forgotten. If our attitude is right and we continue to make our own luck we should be okay. 

Hope the Accies do us a favour against Well, (the luxury of being in the position to think like this takes some getting used to) 

Saturday's game is ours to lose.. no disrespect to Ross County, who are a stuffy team, but we should comfortably see them off albeit they have new management in place. We have the flair, power and pace in the current squad to take the points and consolidate our 5th position in the League even if Hearts beat Hibs the night before we will leapfrog them and still have a game in hand. 

No danger we will rest anyone imo, Clarke doesn't strike me as the type of manager who would look at a team as weaker than us so feel he can mess with a winning team. 

Boyd has gone on record that he scores best when he's starting every game. We saw under Lee Clark that when he was in and out the team, coming off the bench, it didn't work for him. Kris won't want to be left out when he's on a run of goals like this. 

I expect a very strong team. 

Didn't Stuart Findlay really struggle at Left Back in Dingwall or is my memory playing tricks?

Would have thought the news from Newcastle that he's been released could affect his availability depending on effective date of release and that will impact on options for tomorrow.

Can't afford to 'weaken' team too much even though we now have options!

By 'weaken' I mean too many players with limited game time lately as it has to affect fitness/reactions/confidence etc. Some of the possibilities, Wilson, Kiltie and Frizzel have, I hope, big futures but putting too many of them in at once might be dangerous just now?

Back 5 picks itself if all fit and not fatigued - these full backs do a shift and a half for us!! Power & Dicker haven’t had that much football lately so I’d play both and have Boyd on for 60 mins then replace with the Wolf. Can’t drop Erwin after that show of class. Burke in for Jones, Tish or Rory for last midfield slot (assumes YM not yet fit, or not risked too soon). ICWT obviously!

I think rotation will be minimal. Yes we want to keep everyone fresh but we don’t want to risk upsetting momentum. 

Id say the keeper and back four will pick themselves barring injury. The back four are all in good form and among the fittest members of our squad so fatigue is hopefully not an issue.

Midfield we have options. Tshibola starts for me. More game time will be good for him. One of Dicker and Power starts to give us the experience and combative nature in there. Wilson or McKenzie for whoever misses out. 

To replace JJ is the hardest choice IMO. We have options but no direct replacement. McKenzie arguably the quickest but does not have the attacking drive. Kiltie not as quick but has his own attacking qualities. Burke likewise. 

Frontline Boyd seems to be coping with the 60-70minutes he’s been giving us. We should be able to start him then get him off as soon as we feel we don’t need him. The issue comes into play in the cup game if we’ve used him to much then feel we need him going into extra time.

1 minute ago, Bhamkillieken said:

why mess with a winning formula. i would not rush anyone back (mulumbu) and i wouldnt risk anyone. play your best team and tactical subs should we get ahead.

Cos players will be f**ked playing 3 games a week for a sustained period - we've got a squad for a reason.

Boyd needs rested from time to time and Erwin is a capable replacement. Same with Jones/Kiltie.

Much, much bigger game on Tuesday.

4 hours ago, troonkilliefan said:

Loving this debate about squad rotation and who should be rested !

For a couple years we didn't have decent enough players to pick a midfield let alone an entire side 

Still amazed how well the signings by Lee McCulloch have turned out ; would he better working as a scout perhaps ?

He signed them but did he scout them? What is the situation with the ex-ICT, Hibs scout that joined us - did he leave?

I believe McCulloch is out of a job again as both him and the other guy have been sacked in Poland.

50 minutes ago, piffer said:

I think rotation will be minimal. Yes we want to keep everyone fresh but we don’t want to risk upsetting momentum. 

Id say the keeper and back four will pick themselves barring injury. The back four are all in good form and among the fittest members of our squad so fatigue is hopefully not an issue.

Midfield we have options. Tshibola starts for me. More game time will be good for him. One of Dicker and Power starts to give us the experience and combative nature in there. Wilson or McKenzie for whoever misses out. 

To replace JJ is the hardest choice IMO. We have options but no direct replacement. McKenzie arguably the quickest but does not have the attacking drive. Kiltie not as quick but has his own attacking qualities. Burke likewise. 

Frontline Boyd seems to be coping with the 60-70minutes he’s been giving us. We should be able to start him then get him off as soon as we feel we don’t need him. The issue comes into play in the cup game if we’ve used him to much then feel we need him going into extra time.

If we set up the same way as we did last night where Jones was very much given a free role I would put Brophy in that position as he has pace and is direct. However, I think if Jones is missing Clarke might well surprise us again with yet another different approach.

I had to laugh last night when I heard that idiot Allan Preston on the radio talking about Killie having a system that they stick to and that suits the players. In fact I have never seen a Killie team that is so flexible in the way that it approaches different games. I think it has been a big part of our success that we are continually surprising other teams in the way we are set up and how we approach games and it is great credit to the management team that they are succesfully getting over to the players what they want and also to the players for understanding, adapting and delivering.

36 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Cos players will be f**ked playing 3 games a week for a sustained period - we've got a squad for a reason.

Boyd needs rested from time to time and Erwin is a capable replacement. Same with Jones/Kiltie.

Much, much bigger game on Tuesday.

i disagree. i doubt our training is the same as normal given how close the games are, I would rather go in to the cup game having walloped County on Saturday then off the back of a draw (god forbid a defeat). i doubt anyone wants dropped/rotated the way we playing. tbh I think our most irreplaceable player is big Kirk and nobody is talking about dropping him. We have good enough players up top to come in like Kiltie, Erwin etc. but at the back we are thin (not the biggest fan of the gingner boyd). If we had to rest anyone, it would be at the back for me.

3 games in a week, with a tick over training sessions, is hardly that tuff. the championship down here play most saturdays and Tuesdays.