Attendance tonight

Dillinger

1 hour ago, Mclean07 said:

They wouldn't need to be fitted in, the current stands don't hold nine thousand with seats missing, new box etc. There were hundreds of individual seats empty you don't notice in the photos or sitting in your section. Are you accusing BB and the rest of the Board and CEO of fraud?

is that not what we did against Ayr?

17 hours ago, harley said:

Fleeting invited a group of supporters about 12 if I remember right to sit in 2 mockups of different seats. One for the stadium we have now & another for 4 or 5K less. Baw bags plumped for the kiddies seats. The stadium plan at Scot Ellis was a non starter as there was no way they would be given permission.

tbf, if they were used to sitting on the old wooden seats, then any plastic one would be a step up. although I still miss the wee stick on cushion that was put on season ticket seats in later years

19 hours ago, harley said:

Fleeting invited a group of supporters about 12 if I remember right to sit in 2 mockups of different seats. One for the stadium we have now & another for 4 or 5K less. Baw bags plumped for the kiddies seats. The stadium plan at Scot Ellis was a non starter as there was no way they would be given permission.

The new stands at Rugby Park were possibly the last built at a senior ground under the old building regulations for football stadiums. This is the reason we were able to cram in so many seats in the new stands with so little legroom. Stadiums built/redeveloped after that date were required to increase the space between rows considerably. This is why at Easter Road and Tynecastle etc you can move out your seat and almost walk out the row without people standing up depending on size etc. Much safer in the event of evacuation.

On 15/03/2018 at 6:37 PM, killie1961 said:

The reason Bobby Fleeting built 18,000 stadium because he got a £2.5 million grant from government and wanted to maximise income hence the terrible leg room in East Stand

I remember Jimmy Knapp presenting a cheque from the Football Trust or some such organisation at half time in a game sometime in the mid-nineties. The place went mental. One of the proudest moments I've had as a Killie fan.

I seem to remember Bobby Fleeting saying the legroom issue in the East stand would be addressed after everyone complained. A bit of snake oil there, as of course nothing was done (or could be done) but he claimed it was now better.

6 minutes ago, DuncanEwart said:

I remember Jimmy Knapp presenting a cheque from the Football Trust or some such organisation at half time in a game sometime in the mid-nineties. The place went mental. One of the proudest moments I've had as a Killie fan.

I seem to remember Bobby Fleeting saying the legroom issue in the East stand would be addressed after everyone complained. A bit of snake oil there, as of course nothing was done (or could be done) but he claimed it was now better.

Wasn't it addressed by tilting the seat backs, so as you sat like a half shut knife, it would pull your knees away from the seat in front.?

All of this is mainly true and I've bored for Scotland on the subject over the years.

The East Stand has always had a problem which is the proximity of the Dundonald Road back gardens. That's why the stand doesn't run the full length of the pitch, and has the weird cutaway section, for example.

In order to squeeze in as many seats as possible, the seat tread - the distance from front to back in each row, if you like - is just 600mm.

The Guide to Safety at Sports Grounds Act (the Green Guide) recommended post-Hillsborough that "the minimum area allotted to each seated person should be 460 mm wide and 610 mm deep; but for comfort these measurements should be 550 mm and 760 mm respectively".

The club's solution was to angle the seat backs forward so, as CB says, the sitter is like a partially closed penknife.

Despite having been an East Stand privileged STH, I always sit in the FB now.

You can blame Fleeting for the folly of the East Stand but the architects should have realized that the brief of trying to squeeze in 5,000 seats was practically impossible.

Edited by skygod

Our ground is far from perfect and mistakes were made in its size and seats etc.. ...

But after visiting other Scottish stadium far have ours than have a home ground like that at Motherwell , Hamilton , Dundee etc and even though St J ground may look ideal on paper its one of the soulless grounds for atmosphere ..

3 hours ago, Scouser2 said:

Our ground is far from perfect and mistakes were made in its size and seats etc.. ...

But after visiting other Scottish stadium far have ours than have a home ground like that at Motherwell , Hamilton , Dundee etc and even though St J ground may look ideal on paper its one of the soulless grounds for atmosphere ..

Aye at the time it was seen as an amazing development. Remembering back to the 80s & early 90s there was an almost weekly debate about the state of football grounds that fans were having to endure. Killie were seen as groundbreaking with their ambitions to redevelop the stadium.

As mentioned on the other thread when Bobby Fleeting paid for the fans to get into the shelter of the stand at Dens it was not only a great gesture but also as a PR stunt it helped to highlight the problems with our stadiums. I also seem to recall him addressing drenched Rangers fans in the Rugby road terracing with a megaphone saying the next time they came they would be undercover in a new stand.

• CB locked this topic