What if SSC just wants to stay?

Ktid1869

A stretch for sure but not an impossible dream..we all make job/career choices based on different criteria..the key would be to leverage the current histrory making run through new investment...with the current budget we are punching as high as we could possibly think possible and I think sc will have higher ambition that can be met through other channels. if the club can deliver the investment muted ( I believe it can happen) then we have a platform to chase Europe...with his connections to the area it might (just might) be enough to get sc to commit to a medium ( 3 yr) project....anyway not something I’ll be worrying about tonight on the back of a huge win...more talisker please...

Depends what is being offered. I think Steve has an affection for the club which may help us. He talked about honesty from the board being the main reason he signed. I think he was annoyed by the way both reading and West Bromwich dealt with him. He's onto a good thing here. I think he would need a very good job to leave. 

He said when being linked to Rangers in December... 

Clarke said: “My quote (at the AGM) is ‘it’s not my intention to leave Kilmarnock for any other Scottish club’.

“That’s it. I don’t think I need to elaborate on that. It’s quite clear.

“It probably says a lot about me as much as what it says about settling in here. I came here for a reason.

“I said at the time that a lot of different reasons fell into place at the right time. Nothing has changed that.

“I didn’t come here to leave. I came here to do a job.

“I came back to Scotland for Kilmarnock. It’s always hard to look too far into the future but it’s definitely not my intention to leave to go to another Scottish club.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-job-isnt-radar-im-11735962

I think if a high placed EPL team comes in its a different matter but I don't think he is bursting to leave just yet. He said the killie job ticked a lot of boxes for him. 

Would love the look on the media's faces if he signed a new contract. 

Wish I'd come in here before posting my last two rants in other threads xD

Glad someone has quoted what he has said at the AGM, I truly believe he'll see out his contract. And I hope we offer him a much better one nearer the time (if we're still playing like we are!) and that he stays as long as possible. 

But I wish the media (and some fans) would drop the thought that he's going to leave us at the drop of a hat. That AGM quote tells me he's here on a mission to revive us - and what a bloody start he's made. Let's enjoy the next 2 years of it!

Edited by jesper

He has some integrity and has made his money . A mission to revive his boyhood heroes is well under way . Fantastic job getting loads of plaudits and enjoying it again . Get a few of his own signings in summer and go for Europe next season . Bowie backing him to hilt and another good season awaits . The guy has changed the way the club acts , plays , believes . The mentality of the fans is encouraging and positivity only . The players have a real affinity with fans and we are all going forward . I’d absolutely love to catch Hibs . Would be the prize we deserve . Get passports looked out and enjoy a wee jaunt to the arse end of Europe . 

53 minutes ago, BR1869 said:

I would be grateful for an immediate reaction from Wullie Miller :ph34r:

For Wullie, read Boaby.....

WIth the right signings, we could be challenging at the top next season. We could do a Leicester....Not beyond the realms of imagination or possibility based on current form and consistency. It is just what Scottish football needs.

I have mentioned before, we are about to build a Centre of Excellence, we should do what Coventry City did for Gordon Strachan and name the centre The Steve Clarke Football Foundation, this would allow him to form a legacy to even last past his time on this earth, players would be educated and trained in SSC’s philosophy, I genuinely think that something along these lines would keep him close to Killie in the future.

14 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Apart from that time I said that Broadfoot shouldn’t play for Killie, ignore that.

Tbf I think when Kirk Beckenbauer nearly ripped Isma's daft hair off his head a lot of people (myself included) would have thought the same!!!

Apparently Clarke is absolutely loving it here. I’d try get him to re-sign for a few extra years. It would be a massive showcase for the club’s ambition. Plus would hopefully ensure we are suitably compensated when (if?) he eventually leaves. 

I’d also like to think that Clarke will be involved in finding his successor, in line with how much work he is doing behind the scenes currently.  

5 hours ago, killie billies pal said:

I have mentioned before, we are about to build a Centre of Excellence, we should do what Coventry City did for Gordon Strachan and name the centre The Steve Clarke Football Foundation, this would allow him to form a legacy to even last past his time on this earth, players would be educated and trained in SSC’s philosophy, I genuinely think that something along these lines would keep him close to Killie in the future.

Hasn't panned out well for Coventry though.....