Clarke on Mulumbu and contract negotiations

skygod

Kilmarnock boss Steve Clarke admits he is resigned to losing Youssouf Mulumbu this summer.

The Rugby Park boss has been busy dishing out fresh contracts this week, with Rory McKenzie following Greg Kiltie and Alan Power in renewing until 2020.

But the clock is ticking on former West Brom ace Mulumbu's deal, with his six-month agreement set to expire at the end of the campaign.

The DR Congo international has been a major hit since making the switch to Ayrshire after an injury-plagued stint at Norwich.

But despite rediscovering his best form under Clarke, the Killie manager is not convinced that will be enough to stave off big-spending suitors from down south come the summer.

"I wouldn't say I was over-confident of keeping Youssouf," said Clarke ahead of Saturday's visit of Hamilton.

"He came up here to put himself back in the shop window and I think he's done that with his performances.

"That's been great for Youssouf and it's been great for Kilmarnock. I said to the supporters that they just had to enjoy him while he was here.

"And I imagine a bigger club will come in for Youssouf in the summer as he's a free transfer. If that happens, we wish him well.

"If that doesn't materialise and he wants to stay here, he knows all he has to do is chap my door."

Gary Dicker and Stuart Findlay could become the next players to extend their Rugby Park stays next week while the futures of out-of-contract first-teamers Gordon Greer, Chris Burke, Scott Boyd and Leo Fasan have also still to be resolved.

But having confirmed a place in the top six with victory over Rangers last time out, Clarke wants to get those matters tied up quickly so he can focus on finding fresh faces for next season.

"The club has used the international break wisely to sit down and discuss contract situations with a lot of players that deserved a new contract and that their deals were up," he said.

"We're trying to build something here and so we're trying to keep a bit of continuity.

"The more players we can sign up before the summer the better as it gives us an idea of what we'll need in the summer and what we won't need.

"I'd like to go into the summer with the nucleus of the squad already in place, which means that come that time we can be a bit more selective with who we bring in and not find ourselves in a mad rush trying to sign 10 or 11 players.

"If we have the majority of guys in place it means we only need to bring in three or four who can add that bit of quality.

"The players this year have done very well for us so we're delighted to get those three players tied up and we're working on other contracts as we speak."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/16128433.Kilmarnock_boss_Steve_Clarke_Former_resigned_to_losing_former_West_Brom_midfielder_Youssouf_Mulumbu/

(Herald)

Steve Smith really is the forgotten man!

Good to see there is a plan in place. If he can get Dicker and Findlay ties down to new deals I’m not sure he’ll offer new deals to anyone else. Greer, Smith, Burke, Boyd haven’t really featured under Clarke and their leaving could free up a decent wedge to strengthen in the summer

What a difference a (more than) capable manager makes ......we will go into the summer break with large nucleus of a decent squad tied down and there will be no mass turnaround like we have seen so often .....

Mulumbu signing would top it off but it's a long shot .....just happy for now we have seen a player of his standard and commitment play for us....

4 hours ago, jam1869 said:

I have a feeling Sir Steve is playing it down in the media, but feels we have a chance.

I agree, possibly with more hope than anything else though. 

I'm clinging to the fact that he said the exact same thing about Youssouf before we signed him and then again before the transfer window ended... And he's (thankfully) still here! 

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

I would wish him all the best if he goes he will come back at some stage I also think if we get European football he might just stay fingers crossed 

I'm guessing the arrangement he and SC came to was that he would get game time to get fit and put himself in the shop window with the understanding that in exchange for playing for wages way below his market value he could negotiate himself a deal as a free agent in the summer.

The brutal truth is KFC cannot afford the kind of wages he needs to get in his short career in European football before retiring.

As noted above if we do qualify for European football he may think that gives him a better platform to get a bigger club. That ids the only way I can see him being here after the summer.

8 hours ago, skygod said:

"I'd like to go into the summer with the nucleus of the squad already in place, which means that come that time we can be a bit more selective with who we bring in and not find ourselves in a mad rush trying to sign 10 or 11 players.

I must confess to being a wee bit disappointed that he didn't add 'on the same day'. 

17 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

As noted above if we do qualify for European football he may think that gives him a better platform to get a bigger club.

I doubt that would be necessary as Bordeaux (and others?) were after him in January.

Presumably he has an agent putting his CV about here, there and everywhere at the moment.

Post-Thistle match, Clarke was asked about the difficulty in holding on to Mulumbu and, possibly, Jones but also how the good results make it easier to attract new players.  

He could have ducked the first part but pointedly said that “You never know in football”, which might be some kind of indication. 

He confirmed that we have people watching players all over the country with a view to bringing in more quality but the most important signings recently were the new contracts signed by the current players. 

Edited by skygod

Taken from SC's BBC post match interview......

"We hope to be able to bring in quality additions in the summer but the best bit of business we've done in recent weeks is to sign up the vast majority of the squad and we'll continue to get one or two of them on longer contracts. We'll try to build something here at Kilmarnock."