post split fixtures

gill1317

Hibs are the real winners here with their fixtures - and they should have been the lowest seeded team.

Home advantage against their main rivals for third and fourth.

Plus two bumper pay days against the infirm.

And for those who say it doesn't matter, the extra money generated from one infirm game would pay a top player's wages for a year, so Hibs go into next year with a huge financial advantage as well.

6 minutes ago, MrTumnus said:

Hibs are the real winners here with their fixtures - and they should have been the lowest seeded team.

And for those who say it doesn't matter, the extra money generated from one infirm game would pay a top player's wages for a year, so Hibs go into next year with a huge financial advantage as well.

I agree with this, Hibs have certainly benefitted but I don't think the huns have.

No surprises on the opponents and venues certainly - but my ideal would have been;

Aberdeen (H), Rangers (A), Hearts (H), Celtic (A), Hibernian (A)

All in all, not a bad end to the season.  On reflection I'm glad we get to end such a wonderful year at Rugby Park - as has been said before it'd be amazing if we could win our next three league games, putting the ghost of Aberdeen/Hibs to bed, and in all likelihood still being in contention for a Euro spot on the last day.

Easter Road could be a ginormous away day...

3 minutes ago, Estragon said:

No surprises on the opponents and venues certainly - but my ideal would have been;

Aberdeen (H), Rangers (A), Hearts (H), Celtic (A), Hibernian (A)

All in all, not a bad end to the season.  On reflection I'm glad we get to end such a wonderful year at Rugby Park - as has been said before it'd be amazing if we could win our next three league games, putting the ghost of Aberdeen/Hibs to bed, and in all likelihood still being in contention for a Euro spot on the last day.

Easter Road could be a ginormous away day...

Agreed.

I think that's why they've made ER so early in the fixtures.

1 hour ago, MrTumnus said:

Well said.

2 hours ago, MrTumnus said:

On the flipside, Hearts are the biggest losers ending up with 18 home and 20 away games, including a 3rd trip to Ibrox.

I don't know whether they decided to penalise them coz they're in 6th place at the split?

2 hours ago, Fankle said:

On the flipside, Hearts are the biggest losers ending up with 18 home and 20 away games, including a 3rd trip to Ibrox.

I don't know whether they decided to penalise them coz they're in 6th place at the split?

Hearts have described the fixture imbalance following the split as "unacceptable" but admit the SPFL had their hands tied.

The Jambos will travel to Ibrox to face Rangers for a third time this season and will only have two home games, meaning they have a total of 18 for the season.

The club's two home games will come against Celtic and Hibs with three away games against Rangers, Aberdeen and Kilmarnock.

But they revealed that the SPFL made their decision with previous fixture problems in mind after Kilmarnock were the ones left with an imbalance in 2014/15.

They said: "In order to make the best of this less than perfect situation, some broad guidelines are followed in setting post-split fixtures. In simple terms, where an imbalance is inevitable, “mid-table” teams (clubs in positions 5,6,7 and 8) are those that potentially lose out by having an uneven split of home and away games across the full season. This recognises that the top 4 teams are potentially fighting for top spot or to secure a place in Europe, and the bottom 4 teams may well be fighting to avoid relegation/play-offs.

"While unacceptable, it is felt to be the 'least unacceptable' option.

" Hearts currently occupies 6th place in the Ladbrokes Premiership, behind Kilmarnock in 5th. It is the club’s understanding that Kilmarnock was disadvantaged in the post-split fixtures during the 2014/15 season. Again, in an effort to be as fair as possible to all clubs, previous imbalances are taken into account when determining the fixtures. Hearts are, therefore, unfortunately in the position of having to play three of the remaining five matches away from home.

"Whilst the club is disappointed about this situation, it is a consequence of the inherently imbalanced system that the SPFL clubs have elected to operate.

3 hours ago, Prahakillie said:

But they revealed that the SPFL made their decision with previous fixture problems in mind after Kilmarnock were the ones left with an imbalance in 2014/15.

They said: "In order to make the best of this less than perfect situation, some broad guidelines are followed in setting post-split fixtures. In simple terms, where an imbalance is inevitable, “mid-table” teams (clubs in positions 5,6,7 and 8) are those that potentially lose out by having an uneven split of home and away games across the full season. This recognises that the top 4 teams are potentially fighting for top spot or to secure a place in Europe, and the bottom 4 teams may well be fighting to avoid relegation/play-offs.

"While unacceptable, it is felt to be the 'least unacceptable' option.

Surely this is contrary to what the SPFL have previously said?

I was led to believe that all 12 teams were seeded at the start of the season, Ceptic 1 : Hibs 12  Killie 8 based on their final league placings last season. The only point of this was to aid the fixture choice after the split. If this was the case then Hibs should have been the team most disadvantaged as lowest seeds (as it is they get the biggest advantage). 

What the SPFL have now stated is that they will decide what clubs have the most to play for and give them an advantage over mid-table clubs. With the prize money at the end of the season dependant on your league position then surely everyone can see this is unfair. They are making the rules up as they go along to suit their own/tv agenda. Also Ceptic have all but won the league and would probably do so even if they lost their 5 remaining games, so you could argue that they have the least to play for but unsurprisingly they get fixtures they would expect being seeded 1. So what are the rules then - answers on a postcard to Mr. Doncaster, Cloud Cuckoo Land, Hampden.

Any competition that does not make it's rules crystal clear before it starts lacks integrity.  Unfortunately the SPFL/SPL have a proven track record for this.

20 hours ago, historyman said:

Can someone please explain how the money from the TV games is allocated and what extra money (if any) is paid to a club whose home game is live on TV? They must receive some level of compensation as it is inevitable that the crowd will be lower. 

Last time i looked the cash pot of all sponsorship and tv cash was split as:

48% equally between all 12 teams

52% dependant on final league placings