Still Moaning About JJ

allycowan1

Sitting in the FB yesterday and still astonished to hear the amount of negativity about Jones.  The concensus seemed to be that he runs with the ball then eventually either gives it away to the opposition or just falls over.

I might be wrong, but I'm seeing a player who gets the fans excited, who stretches defences constantly, who gets free kicks and corners for us through his runs  and chips in the odd pearler not to mention frequent assists.  If you don't like watching JJ I'm not sure football is the game for you.  He's the most exciting player in the squad right now. Someone I'd pay to watch.

That's hilarious, he put the game in danger of actually becoming entertaining when he came on. Had the accies defence on toast every single time. You can't blame him for end product when he beats 3 men then passes to Erwin in acres of space who procedes to take a touch that ends 5 yards away. 

Edited by Killie lad

I don’t want to be critical but given the problems he causes other teams he really should have more than 4 goals and 1 assist(stats from BBC so could be wrong) in the league. Obviously that doesn’t include goals from set pieces he wins or play where he’s driven us forward then moved possession on. 

1 hour ago, carpetfitter said:

Receives outball, great control, astonishing pace, defenders back pedalling, turned inside out, a matter of seconds later we are 60 yards up the park and then he is fouled. Really, what's not to like?

Agreed. When he doesn't play we sit 30 yards further back and invite pressure on our defence.

It's no coincidence Boyd has 20 goals this year with him in the side. If we sat 30 yards back, Boyd wouldn't be in and around the penalty spot.

Baffles me that some can't see the good he brings to the team.

Whether the OP likes it or not, it's a matter of opinion, and the people in question pay their money and can say whatever the wish about whomever they wish. Doesn't mean it's right or wrong (I certainly don't agree with it), just their opinion based on what they have seen.

Then again, there's not much room on here from moving away from the "party line" and having yer own opinion

12 hours ago, piffer said:

I don’t want to be critical but given the problems he causes other teams he really should have more than 4 goals and 1 assist(stats from BBC so could be wrong) in the league. Obviously that doesn’t include goals from set pieces he wins or play where he’s driven us forward then moved possession on. 

Think Jones himself would recognise it's the bit of his game he needs to work on. 

His impact is huge because of how he stretches defences, worries the opposition, commits two and three defenders at a time, can break us up the park singlehandedly in a matter of seconds, draw fouls, etc. If his final ball, be it goals or assists, was even just a bit better, he'd be away already. 

Think once he nails that final product at the end of his obvious ability to run with the ball and beat people, he could be a massive player for Northern Ireland and could win a move to a big club. 

44 minutes ago, Dillinger said:

Think Jones himself would recognise it's the bit of his game he needs to work on. 

His impact is huge because of how he stretches defences, worries the opposition, commits two and three defenders at a time, can break us up the park singlehandedly in a matter of seconds, draw fouls, etc. If his final ball, be it goals or assists, was even just a bit better, he'd be away already. 

Think once he nails that final product at the end of his obvious ability to run with the ball and beat people, he could be a massive player for Northern Ireland and could win a move to a big club. 

I had a brief look on the bbc stats to see how he compares to similar players. Martin Boyle of Hibs for example has 5 goals and 2 assists. Craig Tanner of Motherwell has 6 goals and 3 assists. Manuel Milinkovic at Hearts has 5 goals and four assists. I was surprised as I’d class JJ as a better player than those mentioned based on what I’ve saw of them and he certainly gets more plaudits from neutrals. 

I suppose the true value is in what his goals and assists bring. Looking at valuable input rather than a consolation here or there. Off the top of my head he’s set up Mulumbu for the winner vs Celtic. He scored the equaliser at Celtic and the first in the 2-2 with Hibs. That’s five points we might not have got without him. 

Great fan of JJ.

Terrifies defences and I love his direct running. 

However, if he had all of existing qualities and a final ball everytime he would be playing in the English Premiership. 

I still really struggle to understand why folk still want something to moan about. 

JJ is at his most terrifying when he runs straight at the goal. I thought Hamilton did a first class job of forcing him across the park and not allowing him to get any momentum towards goal so I did not think JJ was at his most effective on Saturday. I still think he is a great asset.

Hamilton defended really well breaking up any controlled possession we had and mobbing whoever was in possession. Pretty much what I'd expect us to do against a better team than us. What they did not have was any real attacking threat. So once we got the first goal the game was all but over.

In contrast when we played Ceptic we spent most of the game breaking up Ceptic possession but when we did get a wee spell towards the end we looked really lethal and were unlucky only to get one.

There is no similar player in the SPL for pace and close control. Crossing is his biggest weakness, but Forrest is a Scotland international and he can barely cross any better. Choice of shot/pass isn't great but scored one of the goals of the season against Hibs, and produced one of the passes of the season for Mulumbu against Sevco (although you could argue it was a cross). A crowd-pleaser, we need more of them in our game.

Jj does seem to attract objective criticism and feedback for improvement more than any other killie player right now. I suppose that’s part of the purpose on fans forums. He had less than 20 minutes against Hamilton during which time he won a couple of corners, tied up 2 or 3 hamilton defenders and beat a few men to put one on a plate for Erwin. For me, we instantly looked more dangerous when he arrived. I though brophy had a shocker for the 80 minutes he was on. I would not have proactively posted on this cause he is entitled to have an off game and I don’t think less of his potential because of it. He will score lots of goals for killie going forward. Agree with sc that he probably trying too hard. Point is that people seem to pick up on the minutia of jj performce whilst being forgiving of others failings. 

If JJ had a final ball in addition to his pace and dribbling he wouldn't be in Scottish football at all.

It's Scotland FFS. Most players here are damaged goods or have fundamental faults in their game.

He's sensational for this league. He literally has two or three players marking him which creates two free runners from midfield. Jeezo!

Think it's mistaken to reduce JJ's performance down to bald stats of goals and assists. His qualitative contribution to the team is far greater than these specific stats suggest. He puts the fear of Buddha into opponents and as others have said destroys their shape and composure, creating many openings for teammates.

1 minute ago, carpetfitter said:

Think it's mistaken to reduce JJ's performance down to bald stats of goals and assists. His qualitative contribution to the team is far greater than these specific stats suggest. He puts the fear of Buddha into opponents and as others have said destroys their shape and composure, creating many openings for teammates.

Well said.. 

20 hours ago, piffer said:

Off the top of my head he’s set up Mulumbu for the winner vs Celtic. He scored the equaliser at Celtic and the first in the 2-2 with Hibs. That’s five points we might not have got without him. 

He was fairly influential against St Johnstone recently......