Not watering the pitch

Wrangodog

This afternoon was a bobblefest, a dry surface coupled with a breeze blowing down the pitch meant that controlling the ball was difficult. Why don't we water the surface before a game ?  This wasn't the first team playing, this was two inexperienced teams with a scattering of players who had played for the senior team. I watched Scotland's women playing on a well-watered artificial surface and there was hardly a bobble or miscontrol due to the pitch. Judging by the highlights of the previous round at the Excelsior Stadium their surface was even worse. If we want Scottish youngsters to improve their technical skills we have to give them the best possible surface to play on whether that is artificial or grass.

I agree that these surfaces are better watered.

But it has been suggested that not watering slows our surface down considerably, which may suit us, in some games.

Cant remember seeing the massive sprinkler out since SSC took over the reigns???????

Imagine Boyd chasing a pass zipping off a wet surface, as opposed to a ball holding up on the dry ?

Again perhaps it was thot a slower pitch would suit the youngsters??

I think I remember hearing we intentionally don't water the pitch at all any more, that may have been from Neil Lennon though. At a similar time I remember Clarke saying something to the tune of "It's been raining a lot, why would we bother watering the pitch when it rains?". So maybe it's not tactical, maybe we just don't bother as much as we should.

There is a noticeable difference when it rains during a game though, the ball really picks up pace. You could say the same about grass or with a leather ball in wet conditions generally though.

53 minutes ago, Merk said:

Mulumbu is good at playing balls into space that die on the dry pitch.  Classic example being the pass to JJ before the assist for his goal vs Celtic.

53 minutes ago, Merk said:

Mulumbu is good at playing balls into space that die on the dry pitch.  Classic example being the pass to JJ before the assist for his goal vs Celtic.

Mulumbu can do that but youth players with a fraction of his skill can't, thus they need a better surface than the one they tried to play on yesterday.