Sevco

Keith Jackson taking the side of his Ibrox moles: 

Blundering Rangers chief Dave King should have axed Graeme Murty not Kenny Miller and Lee Wallace - Keith Jackson

Keith reckons the experienced duo should have been handed the keys to Graeme Murty's office not shown the door.

It's hardly the first time Dave King and his Rangers board have made a monumental misjudgment.

But yesterday, by making outcasts and scapegoats of their two most senior and respected professionals, the men in charge of Scottish football’s very own FC Hollywood succeeded in turning 
yet another drama into an unadulterated crisis.

The suspensions meted out to captain Lee Wallace and one-time talisman Kenny Miller have added a car crash quality to the derby defeat at Hampden on Sunday which effectively killed their season stone dead.

But if Ibrox powerbrokers were thinking with clarity and precision, Wallace and Miller would not have been thrown to the wolves yesterday morning when they were told not to darken the front doors again between now and the end of the season.

Rather, they would have been thrown the keys to Graeme Murty’s office and told to prove they know better than this accident-prone caretaker who, by his prolonged exposure to the job, is doing more harm than good.

Absentee chairman King admitted as much last week when he tried to punt season tickets on the back of an implied promise to upgrade the manager before the start of the next campaign.

This was textbook King. He has perfected the art of making a noise when he ought to be quiet and then staying silent when his voice is absolutely required.

Even so, given King belatedly appears to have worked out Murty is not up to the job, it defies all logic that the board jumped on his side of this simmering argument yesterday by attempting to make pariahs of their two most experienced players.

Given Murty is already a busted flush in the eyes of his own disenfranchised squad, surely it would have made more sense to let Wallace and Miller attempt to bring this group back together for the final five games of a season which could now become even more of an embarrassment than it already is.

The risk here appears obvious to everyone outside of King’s beleaguered regime. These players were already in a mutinous mood with Murty and now there is even less reason for them to fall into line behind a manager who has used up the last of their respect by emptying two of their most valued 
team-mates.

Worse still, if the board had paused to think it through, they may have reached an obvious conclusion. That it was as a direct result of Murty’s naivety, inexperience and lack of leadership that this toxic issue was dumped on their doorstep in the first instance.

Any manger worth his salt would have seen this s***storm brewing from a mile off – even as Celtic were mercilessly disembowelling his side on Sunday afternoon – and taken appropriate steps to ensure it did not get out of hand.

But, rather than do that by protecting his players and leading them from the front, Murty was busy attempting to limit the damage only to his own reputation.

The substitution of Andy Halliday moments before half-time was not only a grotesque moment of grandstanding but also a blatant attempt at self-preservation.

Worse still, it perfectly illustrated the lack of empathy between this stand-in boss and the group over which he has control. Rumours abound of a breakdown in communication between Murty and these players that stretches back weeks and months.

There is a feeling, at least among a large section of this dressing room, Murty has failed to show his players any kind of professional courtesy or respect. This is perhaps why so many tell-tale signs of indiscipline and disharmony bubbled to the surface on Sunday as derby day reached boiling point.

Halliday’s outburst from the bench. Daniel Candeias storming up the tunnel. Greg Docherty and Alfredo Morelos having to be dragged apart in the tunnel.

And then the impassioned – if ill thought out and crudely delivered – post-match outburst from Wallace and Miller that may have ended their Rangers careers.

Rather than fillet the pair yesterday maybe it would have made more sense for the Rangers board to ask what brought them to this point where they couldn’t help but vent their frustrations.

Even if they did overstep a mark it ought to be obvious to King and his cohorts these two players care 
passionately about the direction this club is taking and the erosion of the standards they used to uphold.

Word has it Miller and Wallace were spotted late at night in the team hotel before Sunday’s mismatch, locked in a stony-faced conversation about Murty’s tactical plan. It looked very much to those who witnessed this conversation as if they had unlocked some serious flaws in Murty’s orders. If so, they were hardly wrong.

Their mistake appears to have been in telling this to his face in the highly-charged aftermath of Sunday’s demolition job.

That Murty then went to the board to sort out Wallace and Miller, rather than order them into his office on Monday morning, merely underlines this notion he is out of his depth and unable or unwilling to confront problems as they arise.

This is not a kindergarten he has been placed in charge of. It’s a dressing room full of professional footballers who tend to appreciate straight-to-the-point, uncomplicated language.

It’s this failure to connect with his players on a human level that his caused a divide to grow between the coach and his squad. This disconnect may not have been obvious behind the closed doors of their Auchenhowie training complex but when it was dragged out into the open and exposed to the heat of the derby-day battle at the weekend it became quite glaring.

For King’s board to ignore it and hope sacrificing Wallace and Miller might make it all go away is another indication of their own mismanagement of a club that has lurched from one humiliation to the next since they first stormed into the boardroom, armed with the best of intentions but precious little else.

In Wallace and Miller they have at least two thorough, consummate professionals who appear to have a clear and shared view of exactly where Rangers are going wrong.

He must be hurting after such a defeat. 

Keith Jackson is clearly pitching his article to the mob. He will definitely get a lot of the knuckle draggers onside with his tirade but it lacks any kind of rationality and this sort of mind-set is what confines Scottish football to the fun pages.

If an employee offers violence to his manager and high heid yins don't back him they stand to loose big time through the courts. That is a fact.

In the  Le Guen  vs Ferguson fiasco of several years ago Murray punted Le Guen and I am guessing it cost a large wedge to keep it out of the courts. This is money King does not have. Look where Murray's financial judgement landed him and look where Le Guen's managerial competence took him. 

And as a consequence of the Le Guen incident Murray abandoned the chance of ever attracting a decent manger.

The main problem here is that Graham Murty is an innocent bystander caught up in a train crash. Caxhino was a mistake and anybody who took over would look better by comparison. He should have been left in his caretaker role until a suitable replacement for Caxhino was found but I suspect King does not have the cash for that.

I await developments with interest.

As for tactics I suspect Miller and Wallace merely wanted to gerrintaethum and were annoyed at the team being asked to hold back. 

With hindsight of course they were correct in that Murty's tactics didn't work. 

38 minutes ago, Prahakillie said:

This is not a kindergarten he has been placed in charge of. It’s a dressing room full of professional footballers

I thought that was the funniest line.

From the amount of tantrums going on it did appear more like a kindergarten. 

Thank goodness crazed fans who also happen to be journalists don't get to run football teams.

On the other hand, if it further deepened the "crisis" (which is interesting given that they are second in the league and were papped out the cup at the SF stage by the best team in the country) then who are we to stop them giving us more laughs.????

It's quite tragic to see how badly both sets of OF fans behave when they are struggling to win things. Was the same with Celtic under Mowbray. Their whole identity is based on supporting a team that wins. They are so insecure that their whole world collapses when their team is no longer winning things.

Supporting Killie et al builds character it seems!.

27 minutes ago, bute-killiefan said:

Their whole identity is based on supporting a team that wins.

It would appear so.

28 minutes ago, bute-killiefan said:

Supporting Killie et al builds character it seems!.

I presume you mean the constant flow of promise followed by disappointment. In which case the character of the Killie (et al) fans must be totally Awesome by now.

48 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

I presume you mean the constant flow of promise followed by disappointment. In which case the character of the Killie (et al) fans must be totally Awesome by now.

Yes. With the assumption that good character equates to not releasing statements saying we 'deserve better' because we are only sitting 3rd in the league

We shouldn't laugh too much, Scottish football needs a strong Rangers. 

Rangers no longer one of Scottish football's biggest clubs claims Celtic hero Stiliyan Petrov

Petrov reckons Scottish football needs Rangers back challenging Celtic or it will suffer.

Stiliyan Petrov has claimed Rangers are no longer one of Scottish football's biggest clubs after their latest humiliation at the hands of Celtic.

But he says Scottish football NEEDS Rangers to be back at a level where they can challenge their greatest rivals.

That has seen them drawn into a battle for the top three by Aberdeen and Hibernian, which Petrov says is damning about their current plight.

"At the moment if you look at it, people don't take Rangers as a threat, it's more Aberdeen or Hibs, Rangers are not one of the biggest clubs," said Petrov, who was speaking at The John Hartson Foundation Annual Golf Day.

"People always say Celtic v Rangers will always be one of the big rivalries, but if Rangers don't challenge, it will lose its intensity and it's important for Scotland.

"That's what Scottish football is all about; the Old Firm and that's why people all around the world love Scottish football.

"If that doesn't come back, it will be very difficult for Scottish football to recover."

"As a Celtic fan, I am delighted because more success for Celtic is better but it's not healthy for Scottish football and Celtic as well, because they need someone to compete with.

"One big club in a competition is not interesting, you need another few clubs to compete and make sure the league will improve, but at the moment it's just a one horse race."

Stilian,  stop talking utter pish.  Scottish football does NOT need a strong Rangers nor does it need a strong Celtic.

it needs a strong competitive league where income is spread more evenly to allow competition to improve and standards as a whole to rise.

as far as I am concerned the as long as this bulls**t is spouted in the written and broadcast media as a truth,  then Scottish football will not improve.

in fact I’d prefer it if both rancid bigot infested shut piles were ejected from the end of a very big cannon.

39 minutes ago, Prahakillie said:

That has seen them drawn into a battle for the top three by Aberdeen and Hibernian, which Petrov says is damning about their current plight.

"At the moment if you look at it, people don't take Rangers as a threat, it's more Aberdeen or Hibs, Rangers are not one of the biggest clubs," said Petrov, who was speaking at The John Hartson Foundation Annual Golf Day.

"People always say Celtic v Rangers will always be one of the big rivalries, but if Rangers don't challenge, it will lose its intensity and it's important for Scotland.

"That's what Scottish football is all about; the Old Firm and that's why people all around the world love Scottish football.

"If that doesn't come back, it will be very difficult for Scottish football to recover."

I'm struggling to understand his point here. He is arguing that Scottish football IS just Celtic and Rangers, and now that one of them is s**te, and more teams are challenging as a result, that's bad?

Celtic need Rangers, Rangers need Celtic. That's it

1 hour ago, Prahakillie said:

If that statement is even remotely approaching true I am handin in ma ST now.

Scottish football needs teams who can challenge at the top of European football. Watching sectarian stupidity just doesn't do it for me.

McCoist hits out at criticism of his obscene salary: 

Ally McCoist reveals details of Rangers salary as he hits back at jibes from Alan Brazil

McCoist said he worked for nothing for months after the club went into administration in 2012.

Ally McCoist hit back at jibes from radio colleague Alan Brazil this morning and insisted he never took a penny from Rangers that wasn't his during his spell as manager.

The Ibrox hero, the club's record goalscorer, was manager when the club went into administration in February 2012.

Brazil had taunted McCoist on their talkSPORT breakfast show this morning, claiming a taxi driver had been slating him for his salary while in charge at Ibrox.

But McCoist hit back: “The bottom line is I did not take a penny from the football club that wasn’t mine. In fact, quite the opposite.

“I worked for nothing for three or four months when we went into administration. Then I took a 55 per cent wage cut.

“And then, when I met Dave King , we agreed a deal and I didn’t take my full salary.

“That’s the bottom line. Let’s move on!”

Club accounts revealed McCoist was paid £825,000-a-year before agreeing a significant wage cut in 2014.

McCoist left Rangers in December of that year and was placed on gardening leave for a period of 12 months. A statement from the club at the time said he would be paid £750,000 during that period.

He later came to an agreement with Dave King over a pay off.

My understanding was that the time they worked for free they simply deferred payment so he probably got it back. 

His pay cut was announced about a year before he actually signed off and agreed to it. Again it seemed to be deferred and his salary magically doubled again for his gardening leave.