Second Place?

KTIDanny85

I said few months ago, we won't finish above Hibernian but we will finish in a European spot.

A win against Aberdeen means we are four behind them and any kind of Celtic result against Hibernian means we are a point or two behind them.

Rangers and Aberdeen could conceivably not win another game this season.

Edited by Bullitt

The optimism is infectious. I think the Aberdeen game is massive. If we fail to win this I fear the season will fade a bit with us still finishing an amaz8ng fifth but struggling to hit 60 points. However, if we beat Aberdeen which is a distinct possibility, it truly is game on. Easter road would be a massive game and im sure we’d take a massive support on the back of 7 wins in a row. It’s all good.

8 hours ago, casual observer said:

I’d be more positive if we were in great form. We’ve been achieving great results but haven’t been great in recent weeks. The best sides in the league won’t be so forgiving. I’ll take scrappy wins any day though!

We are in great form while Sevco and Dons both got absolutely trounced at the weekend and Hibs scraped a draw against the bottom of the league team with the last kick in their last game. Dons are particularly vulnerable just now I think, in their last two games v Hearts & Well they have been woeful.

Abosutely no one wants to play us, there is no reason for us to fear anyone. The confidence level in our squad is sky high and that is a huge factor in our favour.

The game against the Sheep on Saturday is pivotal IMO. They are the one team SS seems to have trouble with. One draw out of four encounters when we have beaten Ceptic and Sevco. If we cant get 3 pts on Saturday then I think we will finish 5th. If we do then anything is possible apart from perhaps catching Ceptic.

12 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

The game against the Sheep on Saturday is pivotal IMO. They are the one team SS seems to have trouble with. One draw out of four encounters.....

I don’t think you can count the cup-ties as anything other than two draws. 

We held them over 210 mins and lost a penalty shoot-out - hardly evidence that Clarke had major trouble with them. 

But it would be to good to have a W on the record against them. 

happy to finish 5th anything more will be a huge huge bonus ----but we have nothing now to lose so can approach these games with no real pressure . The squad have worked so hard this season and I am sure SC will continue with same game plan and team motivation as seen so far---- hopefully the injuries clear up 

1 hour ago, gdevoy said:

The game against the Sheep on Saturday is pivotal IMO. They are the one team SS seems to have trouble with. One draw out of four encounters when we have beaten Ceptic and Sevco. If we cant get 3 pts on Saturday then I think we will finish 5th. If we do then anything is possible apart from perhaps catching Ceptic.

I think too much can be read into our previous games with Aberdeen. The first defeat at home was early on in Clark's tenure and the game was over after 15 minutes thanks to a terrible start from us. In the next league game up there we were comfrotable until the substitution and bringing on Erwin did not work - maybe the only tactical mistake that Clark has made. As @Skydog has said the next two games were draws and each game could have gone either way.
I don't think we lose on Saturday, I think a draw is the most likely outcome as I can't see Aberdeen winning. However, if we are going to finish higher than 5th then we probably need to win this one.

14 hours ago, Graeme S said:

Without delving too deep it is simply not possible for us to win 5 games and both Hearts and Celtic to win 4 games as they cant both beat each other!

Correct, but I get a "bleeping" red card for pointing this kind of thing out earlier

All is not roses up Pittodrie way according to posts on Twitter and P&B, 

On Twitter, O'Connor took a fair bit of abuse for his performance after Saturday's loss to Motherwell, responding by posting that Dons fans are the worst in Scotland for backing their team induced a few heids gone replies.

Likewise on P&B, McInnes has been slated for his tactics on Saturday & signing policy since last summer. This morning's news, according to The Mirror, of him being one of the favourites for the WBA job hasn't went down well either.

Let's hope we add to the Dons woes come Saturday.....  :hurrah:

Lennon has Hibs playing with the same mentality as us, it will be hard to catch them but hopefully we go in to the last game of the season with a win and in to Europe or something along those lines. Dependent on Saturdays result Dons might be the team to catch instead.

Dons will have their key players back but Motherwell swept them aside on Saturday with an up tempo, physical game. Brophy probably comes in for Kiltie. Wonder if we'll change the formation, they nullified Jones in the cup game and gave us little joy down the flanks.

This season has been incredible either way and I'd hope we offer a £10 / BOGOF offer for the Hearts final game and show the management/players/board our appreciation for the turnaround at the club, try and get the place full.

2 minutes ago, Richaway said:

Think I must be missing something.

if we win our next two games and Aberdeen, Hibs and rangers lose theirs then it’s down to 1 point behind Aberdeen and rangers. Two of these games are v us so surely not out the realms of possibility.

750/1 is generous.imo

750/1 is generous however these teams have to play each other so someone will accumulate points.

Nigh on impossible to finish top 3 nevermind 2nd.

17 hours ago, Bullitt said:

I said few months ago, we won't finish above Hibernian but we will finish in a European spot.

A win against Aberdeen means we are four behind them and any kind of Celtic result against Hibernian means we are a point or two behind them.

Rangers and Aberdeen could conceivably not win another game this season.

7 points in 5 games is a massive task. I’d be pretty confident in saying we won’t catch Rangers or Aberdeen. There seems to be this belief that both clubs are struggling at the moment, is it based on the semi finals at the weekend? Rangers won 4-0 the week before and Aberdeen are probably favourites to finish as runners up. I get the optimism around Killie but finishing second is unrealistic. Catching Hibs would be a great achievement but Aberdeen and Rangers are too far gone. I’d put a good wager on Killie finishing 5th. 

4th should be the current 'aim'. Would certainly be sickening if having got there, Well go and beat Celtic in the Cup final and take the final Euro place as a result (unlikely).Ironically had Aberdeen won on Saturday, it would have essentially made 4th place a certainty for Europe.

Agree that we absolutely have to win this week to have a chance. We don't necessarily have to beat Hibs to overtake them, though would obviously have to pick up at least a draw at Easter Rd. 

Based on overtaking Hibs we would probably need this:(am trying to be optimistic and 'realistic')

Hibs v Celtic....Hibs 0pts

Killie v Dons...Killie 3pts   gap 1pt

Hibs v Killie....draw gap 1pt

Dons v Hibs....Hibs 1pt 

Rangers v Killie Killie 3pts...Killie 1pt ahead

Hearts v Hibs...Hibs 0pts

Celtic v Killie..Killie 0pts...gap still 1pt

Killie v Hearts...Killie 3pts

Hibs v Rangers...Hibs 3pts...gap 1pt to us.

So from that, even to realistically overtake Hibs we will probably need to win 3 out of 5, and draw one of the others. Hibs would have to lose 2 somewhere, and only win 1 out of 5, which given their form so far, looks quite a big ask. Not sure about both Rangers and Aberdeen being 'finished' due to the weekends results. While we are capable of beating both of them, they will still pick up points elsewhere, which would need us to win all 5 to overtake either one.

This weekend is indeed massive...if Hibs take anything from Celtic (which is possible given that they have already drawn with them twice), it will make it difficult as their goal difference is currently  better than ours.

Felt when we didn't manage to beat Hibs at home that the chance of 4th was probably gone.

On the upside 5th place does now look secure, which is obviously an outstanding achievement from where we started from. Win on Saturday, and go to Easter Rd for a massive game will certainly keep the interest levels up. Agree that to win 11 games in a row to finish the season (with both OF teams away) is a big ask, also dont know what injuries and suspensions could kick in for us over the next few weeks. Still, what a difference to not be talking at this stage about how many points we need to stay clear of Partick, County, Accies etc!

Edited by Jedi2