Wenger, Rogers and managerial merrygoround

Interestin* that dermot Desmond has issued a statement saying that he would not stand in Brendan Rogers way if he to want to leave for Arsenal. Unusual for a man of such measured input to make such a public statement. Maybe more in the arsenal link that I though. If of substance, it could trigger a reshuffle of the management pack. I don’t believe a vacancy at Park head would be of major concern to us but noteworthy.

Arsenal will not go for Rodgers.

He's in exact same mold as Wenger and they need a change:

1) No plan B

2) Doesn't know how to organise a defence

3) Only has a handful of strikers at a club

4) Constantly buy midfielders

5) In big European matches tactically inept 

Tune into TalkSport to hear what English think about Rodgers... latest comment I heard was "If he had had half a brain he would have won the league with Liverpool"

3 minutes ago, Dieselfeet said:

Rodgers isn't 'big' enough for Arsenal. They'll be looking for a marquee appointment. Rodgers had a solid record at Liverpool, but ultimately won nothing and got canned.

Unconcerned, but not complacent.

The rumour is he is off to Spain unless we stop him doing 10 in a row

Regardless of which vacancies come up we have to stop speculating. The fact Clarke has signed so many of our players to longer deals suggests he's selling them a vision/project for the next couple of years under his stewardship. He obviously plans to be here for the foreseeable so let's just trust him and enjoy it rather than wetting ourselves every time a job comes up. 

22 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

Arsenal will not go for Rodgers.

He's in exact same mold as Wenger and they need a change:

1) No plan B

2) Doesn't know how to organise a defence

3) Only has a handful of strikers at a club

4) Constantly buy midfielders

5) In big European matches tactically inept 

Tune into TalkSport to hear what English think about Rodgers... latest comment I heard was "If he had had half a brain he would have won the league with Liverpool"

Agree with this, when guys like anchelotti are sitting out of work you're hardly going to go knocking on Rodgers door. If Simeone wasn't as much of a hot head I could seem them going for him. Think they'll go for someone who isn't as defensively naïve as the likes of wenger and Rodgers...... Hope they don't chap on our door lol

1 hour ago, Bullitt said:

Aye, they are all experts on Talksport.  

I don't think Arsenal will go for Rodgers, as others have said he's not a big enough name and has very limited European experience.

I think the Celtic job is the only job in Scotland that SC would take if it was offered to him.

1 hour ago, charlie1 said:

I think it would make a huge difference to us im sorry to say. If offered how could anyone scottish knock that job back . European football almost every season , money to spend , need i go on  I sincerly hope I am wrong .  but await the red cards that obviously coming

I think there would, rightly, be a few worried faces in the KFC boardroom if the Celtic post came up. It's the only potential club could "lure" SC in Scotland I believe. 

In saying that, I don't think we should be concerned at this point. Arsenal going for Rodgers is hugely unlikely. Maybe if a mid-to-lower table club (or top Championship) came in Rodgers would go down south - and then we might need to raise an eyebrow, but in the short term I don't see that happening. 

Clarke has repeatedly stated he won't be leaving us to go to another Scottish club. He may end up at Celtic in a few years, but it would be via an English club first I'd assume. 

Edited by jesper

43 minutes ago, Blackislekillie said:

Rodgers won't even be on Arsenals long list of candidates. The outrage among their fans if they appointed someone from a diddy league (as they see it) would put the zombies to shame.

They recruited Wenger from the J-League. 

I guess many would now regard that as a mistake though. 

I don't think Rodgers will be approached by Arsenal. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on their shortlist though, not because of his achievements but because of his style of play.

This panic is going to happen every time a job becomes available. Clarke is going to be here until he isn't. As long as he's playing well he's going to be talked about for other jobs. I'm very much just enjoying having one of the best coaches around in charge while we have him. Hopefully the players have picked up things from him that will see them do well in the long term even beyond Steve Clarke's time at the club.