George Green

skygod

Fair play, he never got a chance to show what he could do here. I presume the issues he mentions played a part in that.

It's sad to think that we had a player who for reasons outwith everyone's control was unhappy and I was unaware he tried to end his own life. 

Glad he is on the up now and goes on to be a success for himself and his family. He seems to have had a tough time of it so fair play to him for sticking it at it.

From what I saw of the lad there was a player there. Disappointing tat he wasn’t managed right and it wasn’t the correct environment for him to flourish. Dbut against Accies I thought he looked competent despite signing the night before. 1-1 vs Sevco with ten men IMO he came on and completely killed a tie we may well have lost. 

Happy to see the boy finding his feet again and hopefully he goes on to make a decent career for himself

Seems like we're seeing yet another case of a young man with bags of potential who didn't have the support network behind him to keep him on the right track. Appears another talent has been passed by.

Article (regardless of source) reads like he is a good lad and I hope he does well in whatever road in life he takes. Wish the lad all the best in the future and thank him for the effort he has put in for all his time in football. 

4 hours ago, piffer said:

From what I saw of the lad there was a player there. Disappointing tat he wasn’t managed right and it wasn’t the correct environment for him to flourish. Dbut against Accies I thought he looked competent despite signing the night before. 1-1 vs Sevco with ten men IMO he came on and completely killed a tie we may well have lost. 

Happy to see the boy finding his feet again and hopefully he goes on to make a decent career for himself

Do we know that he wasn't managed properly? A brief look at his career would suggest that the problem lies with the player and not the clubs that he played for.

His contract at Viking was terminated for "incidents off the pitch" according to Wikipaedia and that was only in November 2017. It's a bit early to suggest that he has found his feet again on the basis of a Mail on Sunday article. He's only played 11 non-league games and he has given similar interviews to this one in the past only to be released and fall further down the footballing food chain.

It's good that mental health issues in football are being discussed though but establishing the point where personal responsibility starts and mental illness ends is problematic.

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:11 AM, fraz65 said:

Do we know that he wasn't managed properly? A brief look at his career would suggest that the problem lies with the player and not the clubs that he played for.

There’s one thing not lacking in George’s career and that’s media coverage of his issues! 

Previous press articles have highlighted his complaints about his time at Everton where he claimed that, at the ages of 15/16, he wasn’t given basic life skills which he hadn’t acquired before due to his lack of parental influence. For example, handling money. 

For all that he is rightly praised for his management, I’m not sure Sean Dyche’s loaning him out was good for him either. 

As we know, he came to Killie without any concept of what was happening about accommodation and ended up staying with relatives in Galston. And via his relative's posting on here, it sounded like he was confused about having to pay for his club suit. 

Compare with Luke Hendrie from the same club who didn't seem to have any such dramas. 

In other words, it didn’t sound like George was emotionally mature enough to stand on his own two feet and maybe shipping him out on loan without any support wasn’t best for his development. 

That’s just speculation based on what has been published and what we gleaned from the unusually frank insight we had on this board. 

I don't think football has a great record of pastoral care for young players, especially those - the vast majority - who are rejected at an early age. 

George admits that he had a talent for falling in with the wrong crowd when he was young, a story we’ve heard recently from both Jordan Jones and Alan Power. If I’m not mistaken, both were sent by their clubs (Middlesbrough and Forest respectively) on loan to Hartlepool where they fell in with bad crowds - must be a hell of a place! 

It took Power a lot longer than Jones to reach the level that his early career suggested he should attain. 

Footballers are like anyone else in that they are responsible for managing their own careers. Some of them don’t seem well equipped to do so but I suppose that is typical in many walks of life. 

Edited by skygod

16 hours ago, skygod said:

There’s one thing not lacking in George’s career and that’s media coverage of his issues! 

Previous press articles have highlighted his complaints about his time at Everton where he claimed that, at the ages of 15/16, he wasn’t given basic life skills which he hadn’t acquired before due to his lack of parental influence. For example, handling money. 

For all that he is rightly praised for his management, I’m not sure Sean Dyche’s loaning him out was good for him either. 

As we know, he came to Killie without any concept of what was happening about accommodation and ended up staying with relatives in Galston. And via his partner’s father posting on here, it sounded like he was confused about having to pay for his club suit. 

Compare with Luke Hendrie from the same club who didn't seem to have any such dramas. 

In other words, it didn’t sound like George was emotionally mature enough to stand on his own two feet and maybe shipping him out on loan without any support wasn’t best for his development. 

That’s just speculation based on what has been published and what we gleaned from the unusually frank insight we had on this board. 

I don't think football has a great record of pastoral care for young players, especially those - the vast majority - who are rejected at an early age. 

George admits that he had a talent for falling in with the wrong crowd when he was young, a story we’ve heard recently from both Jordan Jones and Alan Power. If I’m not mistaken, both were sent by their clubs (Middlesbrough and Forest respectively) on loan to Hartlepool where they fell in with bad crowds - must be a hell of a place! 

It took Power a lot longer than Jones to reach the level that his early career suggested he should attain. 

Footballers are like anyone else in that they are responsible for managing their own careers. Some of them don’t seem well equipped to do so but I suppose that is typical in many walks of life. 

The other possibility of course is that he wasn't good enough at football to make it at the top level and the quality of management that he received would have made absolutely no difference.

The reality is that the majority of players who represent their country at youth level don't go on to have decent football careers.

George has probably already achieved more in the game than many of his England youth team-mates.

It’s well worth reading ‘No hunger in paradise’ by Michael Calvin. It explores how the youth system in England works and in particular the devastating affect it can have on young kids/ adults. When you read articles such as this and the recent Jordan Jones one it helps provide good perspective on why some of the people involved end up messed up.