Let's be realistic

SouthsideKillie

Yes, the Aberdeen result wasn't ideal,  and the Hibs result went against us, but who realistically thought that in October we had a chance of 5th, never mind avoiding that play off place/relegation?? Spoke to a few who were disappointed today but we've had a great 6 months (plus 2 games against the ugly sisters to come!!). Fifth, given the start we had, is a hell of a result and a super start to what could be an SC dynasty!!!

I’ll be quite happy if Rangers beat Hearts today and help us consolidate fifth place.

Talk during the week about permutations whereby we could finish second were flights of fancy. 

Fifth is a great achievement and about where we deserve to be. Any  higher will be a bonus, but is probably out of reach now. 

5 minutes ago, skygod said:

I’ll be quite happy if Rangers beat Hearts today and help us consolidate fifth place.

Talk during the week about permutations whereby we could finish second were flights of fancy. 

Fifth is a great achievement and about where we deserve to be. Any  higher will be a bonus, but is probably out of reach now. 

It wasn’t “flight of fancy” since Steve Clarke took over we have been the best team in the league, beaten everyone except the sheep and hibs. Can’t stand this ‘back in our box’ mentality especially from our own fans. Aim as high as we can skydug. 

26 minutes ago, seedsy said:

Can’t stand this ‘back in our box’ mentality especially from our own fans.

Nothing to do with "back in our box". As others have said, we gave ourselves too big a handicap for this season.

Next season will be different and we'll be raring to go again with, I hope, more quality and depth in the squad to sustain a challenge for Top Six and beyond.

18 minutes ago, red_dug said:

I feel our own result yesterday coupled with the green bromance in the early game has pretty much ended our season, especially if rangers win today.

A win at Easter Road next week will give us an outside chance of catching Hibs, it's really down to that game now.

Yesterday was a bummer, but we've just had our best run of wins in over 50 years and are still top of the form table for up to the last 20 games. Outstanding stuff! :hurrah:

Fantastic that we are top 6 and challenging for top 4 after the start we had. It just shows how far we've come since SC took over. The handicap from the first 8 games has probably cost us a European place but I've thoroughly enjoyed going to Rugby Park this season and that's the first that's happened for years. Three tough away games coming up but that's the level we're at now and it's what we all want. I'll be at Ruggers on the last day, regardless of results coming up, and show my appreciation to the players and management for a memorable season and look forward to August, when we go again.

Edited by Killie1970

1 minute ago, Caldow said:

Being realistic is the most common travelled path to mediocrity 

1 hour ago, skygod said:

Can’t believe someone would rather settle for 5th rather than have any hope of getting above rangers.

mental.

12 minutes ago, Caldow said:

Being realistic is the most common travelled path to mediocrity 

When that path has to cross the mighty chasm between where we were and where we want to be, I’m going to trust the architect skilled in building bridges, rather than the dreamer striding out into the void, proclaiming a belief in gravity is mediocre. 

3 minutes ago, Zorro said:

When that path has to cross the mighty chasm between where we were and where we want to be, I’m going to trust the architect skilled in building bridges, rather than the dreamer striding out into the void, proclaiming a belief in gravity is mediocre. 

You been at the poetry old thing ? Very lyrical for a wet Sunday . I do agree with the sentiment though . I hate all the “back in the  box” guff , or “we can’t dare to dream” pish . We’ve made great strides and I hope we continue to do so but a healthy dose of realism wouldn’t hurt . 

6 minutes ago, Richaway said:

Can’t believe someone would rather settle for 5th rather than have any hope of getting above rangers.

mental.

Maybe you should tell Steve Clarke he's "mental" too because he wants to "secure fifth place and ..... try and claim as many points as we can between now and the end of the season."

We can secure fifth place by maintaining or extending the gap between ourselves and Hearts so the best result is for them to pick up nothing at Ibrox.

If Rangers lose, because of their superior goal difference we would need to make up eight points on them over four matches, which include trips to Easter Road, Ibrox and Celtic Park.

Same with Hibs - seven point gap and a better goal difference.

It would be fantastic if we could finish fourth but I'll settle for keeping a nine-point gap between us and Hearts and seeing what we can do about reducing the gap above us.

We’ve obviously had an amazing season. 5th is a wonderful position. BUT at the risk of playing an old record, how can we talk about dissapintment yesterday without reference to jones and mulumbu missing. We are a solid team without them, a decent team; in Scottish terms a good side. But we are not a top 6 team without them. It’s not to say tha5 yesterday these guys would have made the difference, as has been said they’ve faced Aberdeen before. But the odds of us maintaining the run would, in my opinion, have doubled with their inclusion. What looked the concession of a soft goal ( which I wouldn6 have expected to have beaten Jamie did not help). Key omissions a huge role. We are not a5 the level where we can hav3 this quality miss8ng against the top sides.

17 minutes ago, diamond_geezer said:

You been at the poetry old thing ? Very lyrical for a wet Sunday . I do agree with the sentiment though . I hate all the “back in the  box” guff , or “we can’t dare to dream” pish . We’ve made great strides and I hope we continue to do so but a healthy dose of realism wouldn’t hurt . 

Nothing wrong with reaching for the stars, but we need to show a modicum of patience. 

If being realistic .....our performances in recent weeks has been patchy with often our solid commitment and never give in attitude helped by few half time words from our Manager getting us some impressive wins .......so a defeat against another top 6 side was not too big a surprise . The squad under SC and AD have done wonders to be in the position we are just now and it's been one of most enjoyable seasons for a long time ....

Yes as fans we dreamed of a European place and even stretching that winning run on for a few more games .......so it's a slight dispointment at the moment .....perhaps injuries and some other players now feeling leg weary will be an obstacle but hopefully we can see one or 2 more wins in the remaining games but whatever happens the coaching staff and squad deserve our praise and thanks for this excellent season

We were never going to win every game. No other team in the league has won 6 in a row. Rangers were the only top six team we beat in that run.

To have got second we would have needed to win 11 games. It is a bit delusional. Just because we have beaten Rangers and Celtic this year means that we should be beating them. From the response from some is that we should be beating Aberdeen. We were competitive and had we not lost 2 poor goals we had a chance but if we had scored first we could well have won. Aberdeen gave us no space and harried us which made it very difficult. One of those games. Just to clarify though just because we shouldn't expect to beat the top six teams doesn't mean we can't. Think some were wee getting a bit carried away with where we are. 

Edited by kfc_superteam