Youth team concern

PrestersKtid

The above poster is correct , major changes coming to Pro Youth as Strachan doesn't like it.

I've driven my kid thousands of miles over the years as he was in at Killie at 10 , then on to Hearts , Ayr Utd and Stranraer 20s where he now plays for the coach that " scouted " him at Killie 7 years ago.

If you ask me honestly what I think , let the kids enjoy themselves at decent Boys Club level until 15 then let the Senior Clubs get involved. The wee " Stars " at 11 , 12 , 13 , 14 very rarely come through all the age groups and at 4 different Clubs I would say they only really " focus" on the " business end " anyway when the lads at 17 , 18 , 19 are close to the first team.

How many times have you heard about a 14 or 15 year old , playing for Scotland Youths , the next big thing but he never comes through ? 

The younger age groups should just have fun playing the game.

Strachan is looking to blame others for his dismal performance as a Scotland manager, he should keep his nose out of how clubs nurture and develop talent. 

Killies youth setup is excellent - the quicker kids with any potential get into an academy to work with proper coaches the better. The alternative is play with a boys club with a coach who is a dad who has to take a team so his boy gets a game, he isn't anywhere near as qualified a coach as you get in any academy. Shouldn't we be looking at what Barcelona - Real Madrid do and encourage young kids in early get the bad habits away at a young age. If this does go ahead and Killie don't have a youth academy I will be devastated this is a massive step backwards! 

The term jersey filler is disgusting - I've watched games of strachan and he's been rotten! You could say he's only filled a jersey! Not every kid can have a good game all the time! The kids in the academies have natural talent some progress some don't! That's part of life but to get rid of it would be a step backwards for the whole of Scottish football! 

That's Scottish football for you see Gordon failed miserably in the euro qualifying campaign and the powers that be overlook the mistakes he made with his team selections and give him another contract and as stated he is imposing his 'vision' for the future sad!!

The New Gaffer - Rightly or Wrongly the way its going most Clubs will have about 30 Youths attached to them in total over 2 Squads probably ( U17s and U20s ). These lads will range from 15 to 19 years of age. Basically its a return to the " S " Form days . Where it is really going wrong with the wee kids of today is they need to get off the X BOX and get up the park for more 20 v 20 games eg Bellfield v Shortlees etc . Unorganised fitba till " dark o clock " with their pals , that's what is missing. Let the Senior Clubs work with the kids that have a real chance of playing the game from 15 upwards.  Too much of the coaching at the early ages you refer to coaches the " off the cuff " stuff like dribbling out of the wee guys where its all pass , pass , pass. Just my opinion after having watched quite a bit of Pro Youth.

One of the oddest things I ever witnessed was a game of 7 asides at Gussie Park in Dundee. The much lauded highly qualified Youth Coach Ian Cathro was taking a Dundee Utd side of 11 year olds. He would shout out a number while a wee Utd kid was in possession and this was the only player that this kid could pass to. Now some would say he was teaching them " shape " eg goalie to right back , to left back , into centre mid etc etc BUT others would say just let the kids play !

Edited by killietilidie

Not much to do with Strachan. SFA have been working to put this in place for at least 6 years, Strachan's just putting a front up to push it through.

As ever, real change is being held back by so many clubs own interests being different to that of the national team/country as a whole.

The draft system being proposed is a significantly watered down version of what they wanted to implement. 

The distances travelled by kids and parents to some clubs is horrific. No child should travel from central Ayrshire to Edinburgh for coaching when they are at school. Similarly no child from Edinburgh should travel to Glasgow - regardless of the clubs involved. Putting excellent coaches in various regional centres is sensible. 

Parents need to look at themselves and consider the childhood they want for their kids.

Good on the SFA.

1 hour ago, Jasg said:

Think the problem is clubs get money for having a set number of players having 30 kids in each age group doesn't make much sense if there only there so the club gets the sfa hand out every year

Money based on facilities, coaches, teams operated etc. Not so much number of players.

Teams operated is just a numbers game do you think all 42 teams in Scotland would run all age groups without the incentive of sfa funding ?the traveling is not a new thing 30 years ago the boys in my school team all were with top flight teams 4 won the Scottish under16 cup with hearts and had to travel through twice a week for training

4 minutes ago, Jasg said:

Teams operated is just a numbers game do you think all 42 teams in Scotland would run all age groups without the incentive of sfa funding ?the traveling is not a new thing 30 years ago the boys in my school team all were with top flight teams 4 won the Scottish under16 cup with hearts and had to travel through twice a week for training

JASG - Probably something in that , however , to be fair to Ayr United Youth Academy they have worked to achieve " Elite " status as a separate legal entity from the football Club and have worked hard to secure funding. Doomed has a point about every Club being in it for themselves but having achieved " Elite " status after alot of hard work they may not want to be rail roaded into an Ayrshire Academy set up now. Funnily enough up until this point it is Killie who have always blocked this move.  

2 hours ago, killietilidie said:

The New Gaffer - Rightly or Wrongly the way its going most Clubs will have about 30 Youths attached to them in total over 2 Squads probably ( U17s and U20s ). These lads will range from 15 to 19 years of age. Basically its a return to the " S " Form days . Where it is really going wrong with the wee kids of today is they need to get off the X BOX and get up the park for more 20 v 20 games eg Bellfield v Shortlees etc . Unorganised fitba till " dark o clock " with their pals , that's what is missing. Let the Senior Clubs work with the kids that have a real chance of playing the game from 15 upwards.  Too much of the coaching at the early ages you refer to coaches the " off the cuff " stuff like dribbling out of the wee guys where its all pass , pass , pass. Just my opinion after having watched quite a bit of Pro Youth.

One of the oddest things I ever witnessed was a game of 7 asides at Gussie Park in Dundee. The much lauded highly qualified Youth Coach Ian Cathro was taking a Dundee Utd side of 11 year olds. He would shout out a number while a wee Utd kid was in possession and this was the only player that this kid could pass to. Now some would say he was teaching them " shape " eg goalie to right back , to left back , into centre mid etc etc BUT others would say just let the kids play !

Ok some of what people have said makes sense - when I was young I was out to dark o clock playing football with my pals down the park, that doesn't happen in this day and age. I stay beside a park and in the summer holidays the council take the goal posts down! Come on! Tell me the last time you drove by a park and saw it busy with kids playing 20 a side football? You won't see 20 kids in the whole park! 

There has to be a structure! 

Someone made a comment about taking a kid from Ayrshire to Edinburgh and vice versa. Personally I wouldn't do it not when Killie, Ayr, Queen's Park, Hamilton all have good youth systems and I totally agree kids have to be kids also have fun have family time and get an education. This can be still be achieved training 3 nights with your local academy. We will start to see the players come through soon don't waste it for the next 20 years til we decide to re introduce it. 

A a comment was made about the Dundee Utd coaching point. Kids need to learn the game the same way they need to learn how to read Spanish they need to be taught, if someone gave you a Spanish book and say here you go pal tell me what is significant about this book they'd have no idea. They need to be taught how to read Spanish first. They need to be taught the game at a level that makes sense to an 11 year old. To teach a kid you've got to think like a kid. 

I take your point about passing and moving - this is just part of the game and if you go watch any of our academy teams train you'll see they do lots of 1v1's take there man on so its not discouraged from the game if anything it's encouraged!