Couple of forum issues

Killied

Hi,

Firstly the new forums look great but I have noticed a couple of issues.

The first is the background image you are using. It's too big it's 760kb. With all the members that will eat into your bandwidth and can cause loading issues.  I have attached a new compressed version for you. It is only 176kb now but will look exactly the same.

Second issue is the banner at the top. It's 1.87mb it's massive lol! That's why it looks that grainy amateurish way. I've attached a new version that's the proper height and width and is only 86kb now.

If you need any help give me a shout.

Thanks

1.jpg

KickbackHead.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/03/2016 at 1:51 AM, CB said:

Thank you.

In the meantime, users can always click 'Theme' at the bottom left corner of the page:

It's what I use, as the ghostly image of the players was a bit freaky.

The new forum is tremendous.  I have a couple of niggles which annoy me slightly.

1. The ghostly image looks professional, but my eyes can't cope with the transparent background behind the text.
2. I don't enjoy the forum font - i find it difficult to see, hard to put my finger on it, probably an antialiasing issue.
3. On mobile, I don't like the fact that the forum rules are so prevalent.  They just cause unnecessary scrolling and slow me down.

You can't please everyone, so I've gone for a grease monkey script, which tweaks the styles slightly to suit my preferences.  No transparency, easier font (imo), no forum rules on front page.

I don't imagine it would be too difficult to incorporate some of the ideas into another theme if there was demand for it.  Happy to help out if needed.

modded.png

modded2.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 6:56 PM, Scooter said:

In the mobile site Reply box, there is no option for the "wee eye thing" ... just Bold, Italic, Underline, Smileys & Link.

Also in mobile, when you quote another user, you can't delete the quote box if you change your mind.

Cheers

Yes, and I always change my mind. How do you undo it?

9 minutes ago, diamond_geezer said:

Yes, and I always change my mind. How do you undo it?

Just keep pressing delete/backspace/whatever your device calls it

i1zfgi.jpg

143gl1h.jpg

2r7lpmu.jpg

Notice how the box becomes highlighted before the final step.

2eme595.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

should there not be a link on the forums main page to take you to the Killiefc.com homepage?

there was one on the old site.

are we getting any more of the old smilies? we've only brought over two and one of them's for a Killie Pie! I'd choke on one of his Killie pies now.

On 11/10/2016 at 7:57 AM, bKb said:

should there not be a link on the forums main page to take you to the Killiefc.com homepage?

there was one on the old site.

If you click the logo at the top of the forums it takes you to the front of the site. I had the code changed to do this previously but the template clearly reverted when I had to upgrade the version of the skin to the new version of the forum software. Its all a bit of a hit and a miss with this new stuff...the comments here help us see what if anything we've missed. I'll have a look at the smilies...I might do away with all the blue ones and just lump in anything else I can find. Or find a good all round set and we can install that.

8 minutes ago, baz said:

If you click the logo at the top of the forums it takes you to the front of the site.

mine doesn't, tried the wee house and the badge.

it's no big deal to delete the ''/forum'' but thought i'd let you know as i know you want folk to use the main site more

2 minutes ago, bKb said:

mine doesn't, tried the wee house and the badge.

it's no big deal to delete the ''/forum'' but thought i'd let you know as i know you want folk to use the main site more

Maybe you need to refresh your page or delete the cache or something because I just changed the code prior to posting and it works for mine, I'm on Firefox on a Mac, not sure if yo are on a mobile or if that would make a difference. I am currently trying to change the colours of the text on the header bar so its not white and you can see it. You have no idea the amount of options there are and it seems like even more when you don't know what you are looking for.

I've changed the code again and took some superfluous (I hope) bits and bobs out and it should go straight to the front page now. Fixed the text on the header as well so you can see it now and it highlights in yellow when hovering over it.

Just need to find a one size fits all set of emoticons.