21-12-2010 Celtic (A) SPL

Killie Pick Up Parkhead Chrimbo Point !

Celtic 1-1 Killie
SPL Match 17, Parkhead, Dec 21st, 2010.

Conor Sammon's 15th goal of the season gave the visitors a surprise lead eight minutes into the second half.

But Thomas Rogne headed Celtic level with six minutes remaining and neither side could grab a winner.

Killie move to within three points of fourth-place Inverness.

Celtic, who had James Forrest and Emilio Izaguirre, back in their starting line-up following injuries, were keen to stamp their authority on the game early on with Forrest putting some dangerous crosses from the left into the Kilmarnock box.

From the other side, McGinn was also a threat, going close to scoring three times in succession.

The winger's first effort was comfortably saved by Bell but, moments later, the goalkeeper fumbled a cross and presented McGinn with another shooting chance but the Northern Ireland international fired wide.

McGinn was then put through on goal by Gary Hooper and drew a save from Bell with a low shot towards the near post.

After Izaguirre's shot was beaten out by Bell, the ball rebounded off a Kilmarnock defender and out of play but claims of a handball from the home side fell on deaf ears.

From the resulting corner, Ki Sung-Yeung's delivery was headed wide by Daniel Majstorovic.

Celtic were dealt an injury blow when Hooper went down after getting in a tangle with Frazer Wright and the striker was stretchered off to be replaced by Anthony Stokes before the rest of the first half petered out.

The home side were sluggish at the start of the second half and they were dealt a sucker punch when Killie scored the opener from a sweeping counter attack.

Bell gathered the ball from a Celtic corner and threw the ball out to Mehdi Taouil. The Moroccan released Sammon in on goal and the striker kept his cool to fire past Fraser Forster and into the net.

Celtic looked to respond with a series of corners and crosses into the box but Kilmarnock's stout defending kept their lead intact.

Neil Lennon made further changes by introducing club captain Scott Brown from the bench at the expense of Joe Ledley and replacing McGinn with Paddy McCourt.

Stokes carved out a shot from distance but could not keep his powerful effort down and Daryl Murphy also cleared the crossbar after getting the break of the ball in the Killie penalty box with the goal gaping.

But Celtic kept up the pressure and Jamie Hamill's foul on Izaguirre gave the hosts a free-kick, from which Ki crossed to Rogne, who headed into the net via the post.

As the match moved into injury time, Killie mounted another breakaway and Sammon burst through and rounded Forster but the striker's cut-back was cleared by Majstorovic.

Murphy could have won it for Celtic at the death but headed over after being found by Stokes's cross, which would have been very cruel on the visitors.

Killie: Bell, Fowler, Wright, Bryson, Hamill, Pascali, Taouil, Gordon, Eremenko, Kelly, Sammon.
Subs (all not usedd): Letheren, Clancy, Hay, Sissoko, Miguel, De Silva

Attendance: 44,522

Image Gallery

Share this page: