Bobby Ferguson

Started his career with Kilmarnock before being signed by West Ham for £65,000, then a record fee for a keeper in 1967. He played 276 times for the Hammers, then joined Sheffield Wednesday in 1974. In 1981 Ferguson emigrated to Australia, where he took over Adelaide City FC. In 1982 he ran a diving firm for six years, but gave up when a colleague was attacked by a shark.

For the last 30 years, Killie’s last line of defence on that memorable day has been resident in Adelaide, but during a week’s visit to Scotland, he was delighted to meet up with some of his old team-mates.

From The Daily Record, 15th July 2010

But for much of the league-winning season he had to play second fiddle to Campbell Forsyth.

Ferguson had played in a 2-1 win over Hibs in October, but was only recalled to the first team in the middle of March, playing in the final seven games of the season.

“I was only 20 on the day we beat Hearts and was too young to be nervous,” he said.

“Early on we played all right defensively, although I recall that they did hit the post on one occasion.

“I can remember the last few minutes seemed to last for ages, and all I could think about was the referee blowing the whistle for the game to end.

“Then the whistle blew and Andy (King) and I grabbed each other and went wild.

“Not surprisingly, I have great memories of that day, particularly of the thousands of people lining the streets when we arrived back in the town.”

Two seasons after the league win, Ferguson moved to West Ham for £65,000 – a record fee at that time for a British goalkeeper.

During his time at Rugby Park he made 90 appearances, and when he moved to Upton Park, he played with some top players, including Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Jimmy Greaves, Trevor Brooking and Martin Peters.

Ferguson was among an impressive list of home-produced goalkeepers in the 1960s and 1970s including Sandy McLaughlan, Alistair Hunter, Jim Stewart and Alan McCulloch.

Image Gallery

Share this page: