April 2016

No. of Shots

13 18

Shots on Target

3 3


47% 53%

Fouls Conceded

14 12

Corners Won

4 5


Goals None None

Killie Team

MacDonald, Millen *, Broadfoot, Findlay , Waters, McKenzie, (Kiltie 69), Dicker, Power, Jones, (Burke 84), Erwin, Brophy, (Ndjoli 70 *). 
Subs Not Used: MacKay, Higgins, Frizzell, Thomas. 

Attendance: 4,026

* - Killie Debut.

Man of the Match Vote


Match Recap

Kilmarnock handed a start to Millen, signed on a six-month contract earlier in the day. There was no Kris Boyd after he picked up an injury in training.

Killie had a great chance to break the deadlock after 13 minutes when Jordan Jones got away from Jack Baird down the left before cutting back to Erwin 12 yards out.

The striker looked like he was going to burst the net, but Samson did well to block his low shot with his legs, with the loose ball being hoofed clear.

St Mirren had a good chance themselves moments later, with Ryan Flynn playing a great ball across the face of goal that the onrushing Mullen just couldn’t get on the end of.

The Buddies went even closer to breaking the deadlock in the 24th minute.

Coulson burst forward with the ball before picking out Cammy MacPherson. His cross wasn’t properly dealt with by Killie defender Calum Waters and Cammy Smith pounced to rattle a shot off the bar.

That left the home fans breathing a collective sigh of relief – and they breathed another one three minutes later when Jordan Kirkpatrick curled a brilliant long-range effort inches wide of MacDonald’s top right-hand corner.

Jones carved out a chance for himself at the other end 60 seconds later but the Kilmarnock livewire dragged his well shot wide of target.

And Brophy was inches away from giving the home side the lead in the 32nd minute when he got on the end of a great ball from Gary Dicker only to send his shot just over the bar.

But St Mirren looked the likelier in the first half and they blew a golden chance to take the lead in the 37th minute.

Kirkpatrick had time and space in the box after being picked out by Smith, but the ex-Alloa and Clyde attacker could only fire wide.

MacPherson then had a long-range blast pushed away by MacDonald a minute later as the Buddies kept the pressure up.

But Killie almost made them pay for all those missed chances three minutes before the break when he did well to bring the ball down with his chest before volleying just over the bar.

Saints had the first chance of the second period, with Kirkpatrick curling a free-kick just wide after Rory McKenzie had fouled Mullen on the edge of the box.

That was to be Kirkpatrick’s final contribution of the game as he picked up an injury and was replaced by debut boy Jeff King in the 54th minute.

In the penalt shoot-out Killie missed 3 of their penalties – with Ex-Killie man Craig Samson saving from Lee Erwin and Kirk Broadfoot and Gary Dicker skying his effort and only Chris Burke and debut boy Ross Millen converting. Saints pair Stephen McGinn and Jeff King were both foiled by Jamie MacDonald but Paul McGinn, Hayden Coulson and Danny Mullen all scored to earn them an extra point.


Steve Clarke: "We are still a long way away from the start of the Scottish Premiership, which is our main target to be physically ready for, We lost the penalty shoot-out and made the group a little bit more difficult. We need to make sure we win the next three games to get ourselves 10 points which should be enough to take us through to the next round. That's the immediate objective. For the ones who played 90 minutes it was a great workout. We'll give them a couple of days off now, which they deserve because they haven't had any time off in the last three weeks so that's a long shift. I thought we finished the game strongly so that's pleasing to see. We were fortunate there were no big injuries and I look forward to another hard week's training next week.  We go to Dumbarton knowing we need to make sure we win the next three games." 


Hotshots | League Table | Squad Fixtures | Managers Comments


Image Gallery

Share this page: