Part 7 - Motherwell (A)

A Tale of Two Keepers

Killie travelled to Fir Park looking to pull themselves out of the nosedive they'd fallen into since the start of the season. After twenty minutes at Fir Park it was 1-0 to Motherwell. Whose bright idea was it to do this retrospective anyway? (Yours. - Ed.)

Anyway, despite the fact that it was scored against us, it was a quite magnificent goal. Chris McCart did well to control the ball out on the Killie left. Teeing it up with his right knee to deliver a perfect lobbed pass into the box. While our defence had a meeting to decide on just how to deal with it, 178 year old Dougie Arnott nipped in & lobbed the ball over Dragoje Lekovic and into the net.

HALF TIME: Motherwell 1 - 0 Kilmarnock

It wasn't until the second half that we actually managed to get going. Paul Wright was the first to have a crack but unfortunately his shot fizzed by the wrong side of the post. As it did, it scared the jeepers out of the ball boy, who was leaning nonchalantly against the stancion - I wouldn't like to see the dry cleaning bill for the laddo's trackies.

Now Killie were making a game of it, and play began to rage from end to end. Future Killie managerial interviewee Billy Davies thought he had extended the home side's advantage but Super Gus & Lekovic had other ideas. Between them they made a Davies sandwich & managed to put him off, and squeeze the ball away from danger.

Down the right end now & Gary Holt had a go at getting us level. A looping header from the penalty spot, but Scott Howie dealt with it under no pressure. Back up the other end, Dougie Arnott had a bash at getting his second before he had to go and collect his pension. This time Lekovic was equal to his effort and saved well.

Our turn again and Anderson sent in a dangerous cross from the left towards Jim McIntyre. McIntyre was never getting there but he didn't need to. Brian Martin & keeper Howie tried to take each other out and the ball continued on its path. Unfortunately for us, its path trickled just the wrong side of the post.

The play raged back down the other end as John Hendry muscled his way through our defence, and got off a good shot. Lekovic stood up well to it, and Kevin McGowne was on hand to complete the clearance. We pressed on looking to get back on terms. Gary Holt had a diving effort at goal but Howie saved well for 'Well. One of those days, Gary. One of these days...

With time rapidly running out, Motherwell's defence became more and more desperate to stop us, so much so that Jamie Dolan decided to have a wrestle with Derek Anderson. Hmmm. Picking a fight with an ex-Ayrshire Juniors player... speaks volumes about the Dolan thought process. Both players ended up seeing red; Anderson for a second booking and Dolan a straight red for violent conduct.

Wright took the resultant free kick, but it was straight down the throat of 'Well keeper Howie. And the game ended in another defeat. Though not for the want of trying.

Team: Lekovic, MacPherson, Anderson, Reilly, Monty, McGowne, Mitchell, Holt, Wright, McIntyre, McKee.
Subs: Findlay & Brown for Reilly & McKee

Attendance: 5,700



Pos. SFL Premiership Table P W D L PTS.
1 Rangers 7 7 0 0 21
2 Celtic 7 5 1 1 16
3 Aberdeen 7 3 2 2 11
4 Motherwell 7 2 4 1 10
5 Heart of Midlothian 7 3 1 3 10
6 Hibernian 7 3 1 3 10
7 Dunfermline Athletic 7 2 3 2 9
8 Dundee United 7 1 1 5 4
9 Kilmarnock 7 1 1 5 4
10 Raith Rovers 7 1 0 6 3



Share this page: