Match Statistics

Killie Barnsley

No. of Shots

? ?

Shots on Target

? ?


50% 50%

Fouls Conceded

? ?

Corners Won

? ?


None None
Goals None

Wilkinson (53)


Killie Team

Craig Samson, 03: Steven Smith (02: Ross Barbour 80),
04: Jamie Hamill (14: Mark OHara 75), 05: Stuart Findlay,
07: Rory McKenzie (20: Dale Carrick 66), 08: Scott Robinson,
09: Kris Boyd, 11: Kallum Higginbotham,
12: Darryl Westlake, 18: Lee Ashcroft,
28: Josh Magennis (23: Greg Kiltie 66).

Subs Not Used: 21: Jamie MacDonald,
15: Lee McCulloch, 25: Adam Hodge.


Match Report

Matt Watson @ Rugby Park

Having read the reports and watched away pre-season games on youtube with two home games in four days it was time to see how the new signings were shaping up, who would be playing in goals, what our formation would be and whether there were encouraging signs for the season ahead.

First up were Lee Johnson’s Barnsley who were a reflection of the former Killie League Cup winner – confident on the ball and they moved it about well. Unlike Lee they also were a significant physical presence and even “put themselves about” in a meaningless friendly.

In particular, the former Inverness Caley Thistle cup final scorer Marley Watkins seemed to treat it like a competitive game and caused the Killie defence problems along with their 6’4” striker Connor Wilkinson. Killie had only a few clear cut chances in the first half with the impressive and busy Karl Higginbotham involved in most of their creative play. He had a fine solo effort in 32 minutes which whistled past the Barnsley keeper’s post.

In 41 minutes a fairly tame shot from Josh Magennis had Adam Davies (the Barnsley keeper) scrambling to his left, but after some panic the ball was cleared. Most of the attacking play from Barnsley seemed to be coming down the Killie right and that continued in the second half when in 53 minutes left back George Smith curled over an inviting cross which was met unchallenged by the towering Wilkinson who headed home.

Killie almost replied immediately when Higginbotham fired in a cracking right foot shoot after a fine cross-field run – sadly it was again just past the post. In 59 minutes the simmering “feud” between Watkins and Jamie Hamill threatened to boil over when they flung hand-bags, pushes and maybe even punches at each other whilst tussling on the ground. Being a friendly the ref gave them a ticking off but in a “real game” red cards for both of them would have been a possibility.

The introduction of Greg Kiltie and Dale Carrick saw Killie as more of an attacking force but they could not carve out a clear cut chance for Kris Boyd. In fact they were lucky not to lose a second goal when Craig Samson made an excellent one handed save from Marley Watkins as the striker rushed through on goal.

With a few minutes remaining Killie did have an opportunity when given a direct free kick just outside the box and straight in front of the goals. With Boyd, Findlay and Higginbotham all lurking over the ball the striker took charge but thumped the ball against the wall.


Hotshots | League Table | Squad | Fixtures


All images © Sandy Ferguson and should not be reproduced without his permission

Image Gallery

Share this page: