April 2016

No. of Shots

6 4

Shots on Target

1 1


51% 49%

Fouls Conceded

12 13

Corners Won

5 1


Goals Brophy (43)

Longstaff (7)


Killie Team

Freddie Woodman, Greg Taylor, Luke Hendrie , Iain Wilson, Kristoffer Ajer, Steven Smith (Dean Hawkshaw 42), Rory McKenzie, Gary Dicker, Jordan Jones (Joshua Emarah 62 ),  Sean Longstaff, Kris Boyd (Conor Sammon 73).
Subs Not Used: Jamie MacDonald, Scott Boyd, Nathan Tyson, Callum Roberts.

Attendance: 2,159

Man of the Match Vote


Match Report

Alan Walker @ New Douglas Park

Both teams came in to Saturday’s match having recently beaten a relegation / top six contender (depending on your point of view). For the travelling support (who went to Hamilton and not Edinburgh), there was a chance to see a new face in Umerah and an old face in Sammon who both got a plaice on the bench. Much maligned centre-half Osborne didn’t even make the bench, with Dicker and Ajer taking the centre-half roles, young Wilson taking Dicker’s place in the midfield and Jordan Jones taking back the winger position from Roberts.

The Killie fins were in good spirits and were treating to a great first 25 minutes of football. Killie were passing the ball well along the ground with Wilson often at the heart of every build up. Unlike last week, although a little slower this week, Killie took an early lead. In the seventh minute, McKenzie worked well on the wing and managed to square for last week’s winning goal-scorer Longstaff. He settled himself and drilled a low shot past Woods from the edge of the box. A well-deserved goal for a Killie team who were showing that there are well worthy of a top six finish.

Killie were running riot in the midfield and on the wings, with Hamilton resorting to fouling in order to try to bring the game back to a parity. One such foul on Jordan Jones resulted in a yellow for the dog with mammory-glands owner Dougie Imrie. Around the same time, D’Acol was injured after falling over Dicker in the Killie box and was replaced by Eamonn Brophy.

Killie failed to capitalise in their early domination of the game, with Boyd increasingly frustrated by the lack of service. Meanwhile, Accies were showing a little more guile in the midfield and were pushing higher up the park. MacKinnon was being his usual diet-Scott Brown self and making a real nuisance of himself.

Hamilton’s first shot at goal came on the 38th minute. MacKinnon passed to sub Brophy just inside the Killie box. He turned Dicker like Dicker wasn’t there and found himself with the goals gaping like Brogan on deadline day. However, his low drive was just wide of Woodman’s left-hand post. A minute later, MacKinnon had a similar effort on goal from the edge of the box. His effort, however, went just wide of Woodman’s right-hand post.

Killie fans were then treated to their first real sight of Captain Smith on the 42nd minute, as he trudged off injured and was replaced by Hawkshaw. As it turned out, Hawkshaw was lost at sea for the rest of the match.

A minute later, Hamilton were awarded the goal that their recent play had merited. Another long aimless ball from Dicker (KISS!) was fed back towards the Killie goal by the Hamilton defence. Donati released the ball to Brophy who had an age to pick his spot, this time he made no mistake and buried the ball past the despairing Woodman. The teams went in level at half time which was probably fair as the first half had been a half of two halves.

Killie started the second half much like they had the first. McKenzie again did well on the wing and drove to the by-line. However, his cut back for Boyd was just behind the striker and his shot went just wide. The Killie dominance didn’t last though and Hamilton almost took a lead after a Bingham shot was blocked and a Devlin header went just wide. As the half wore on, with neither team in real ascendancy, Clark tried to mix up the game. Jones was hooked in favour of Umerah on the 62nd minute as his presence wasn’t making much of a difference.

A minute later, McKenzie did well again on the wing. As he drove into the box he released a left-foot shot-come-cross which might have cause the Hamilton keeper more concern had Boyd not got a toe on the ball and shot wide. He was subbed-off ten minutes later for Conor Sammon.
Sammon showed some nice hold-up play and lay-offs, but didn’t get any chance to hit the back of the net.

Meanwhile, a corner from Killie led to Hawkshaw blasting high and wide for his sole contribution to the game. In almost the last touch of the match, a Hendrie free-kick into the box was contested by both McKenzie and Umerah. McKenzie must be hard of herring as he codn’t hear Umerah’s shout but his header was well saved by Woods.

Killie fans might have the feeling that this was two points dropped, and that the opportunaty to go top six was missed. However, Killie didn’t flounder to a defeat and could sail into sixth place with a win against Dundee on Saturday.



Lee Clark: The first half an hour was so one-sided. We were playing really well. In all the time I've been in football, I've never been involved in a game like that where you're so dominant, you're playing so well because you're playing so simple. We stopped doing the good things and it feels like a defeat. We had a really good opportunity. We looked a real, real good team in that first half-hour and we've given Hamilton a sniff and they took it. You wouldn't say we played poorly in the last 60 minutes. We were just so impressive in the first-half. Then, we just come off it a little bit.Young players, they get a little bit excited and get a bit cocky that things have been going so well and they stop doing simple things that have got them playing so impressively in the first half-an-hour.


Hotshots | League Table | Squad Fixtures Managers Comments


All images © Sandy Ferguson and should not be reproduced without his permission

Image Gallery

Share this page: