Match Statistics

Killie Saints

No. of Shots

10 7

Shots on Target

4 3


47% 53%

Fouls Conceded

12 11

Corners Won

3 5


Goals Boyd 25' & 88' (Pen), Higginbotham 65'


Killie Team

Jamie MacDonald, Mark O'Hara , Conrad Balatoni, Miles Addison, Lee Hodson, Julien Faubert, Gary Dicker, Greg Kiltie, Kalum Higginbotham, (Rory McKenzie 75'). Josh Magennis , Kris Boyd
Subs Not Used: Conor Brennan, Adam Frizzell, Alex Henshall, Craig Slater, Stuart Findlay, Lee Ashcroft.

Man of the Match Vote

Match Report

David Shaw @ Rugby Park

Killie started this vital match with the same line-up as featured in last week’s draw with Cathartic Drizzle, with the exception of Magennis in for Rory McKenzie. Boydy, Higgy and Scarlett O’Hara retained their places despite indifferent performances last week as Killie fans hoped that gaffer Lee Clark’s attacking formation would finally reap dividends.
St Johnstone arrived in town with a place in the top 6 firmly in their sights, so Killie knew they would have a major fight on their hands if they were to collect three valuable points. But, having beaten the boys from Perth twice already this season, Killie fans had high hopes of a third success.
The opening fifteen minutes should have been given a Government Health Warning as both sides seemed content to just boot the ball up in the air to no avail. The only notable moment came when Simon Lappin literally bounced off man-mountain Miles Addison before screaming in agony. Incredibly, referee Crawford Allan awarded a foul to the dismay of the home fans. This seemed to set a period of bizarre decisions going against Killie as once again the standard of refereeing deteriorated into a state worse than David Cameron’s tax return. 
Then, just as mediocrity began to take its toll, Magennis suddenly burst into life and tore down the right wing, leaving the Saints fullback for dead. His inch perfect cross fell for Boydy, whose delicate touch deserved a goal, instead of rebounding off the post. Killie kept up the pressure and Kiltie was hauled back when clean through on goal. Fisher was booked when he surely should have been sent for an early bath. Thankfully though, Boomer Boyd stepped up and side footed the resultant free-kick into the bottom corner.
On the half-hour mark, Liam Craig should have equalised for Saints but McDonald saved well. It would be the Killie keeper’s only save of the first half as Killie began to take total control. Further attempts by Dicker, Boyd and Magennis almost added to the lead, before Higgy had the ball in the net but was ruled offside. It looked a close call but we were getting nothing out of the officials as usual.
The second half started in much the same vein with Killie piling on the pressure. A beautiful move down the left saw Hodson send a delightful cross to the far post but Magennis couldn’t angle the header home. Magennis would be denied again when his shot from ten yards was blocked. The resultant melee in the box was eventually cleared as St J were slowly torn apart. 
Eventually, Killie’s dominance was rewarded just after the hour with an excellent second goal. Magennis sent an inch-perfect cross to the back post where Higgy guided a header into the bottom corner. However, Killie’s midfield then decided to award themselves an impromptu tea-break and St J finally started to attack. A Krachunov header and a Chris Millar pile-driver were excellently saved by MacDonald as Killie’s rear-guard desperately hung on. Liam Craig also had a goal disallowed for a blatant foul on Scarlett.
After 75 minutes, McKenzie came on for Higgy and Killie finally came back into the game, with the impressive Faubert spraying passes into space behind St Johnstone’s attacking fullbacks for McKenzie and Kiltie to chase onto.
Two minutes from normal time, the game was put to bed when McKenzie was tripped in the box by Shaughnessy. Boydy slammed home the third to great acclaim from the home crowd. The final few minutes passed with Killie keeping the ball off their opponents - game over and three massive points.
Ironically, best for Killie were Boydy, Higgy and Scarlett. All three put in a great shift for the jersey. MacDonald also proved that he is the best shot stopper in Scotland at the moment. Best for St J was manager Tommy Wright. How he can get his team into the top 6 with Tam Scobbie in it is quite remarkable!


Lee Clark: "When we got a little bit of luck in the final third we won the game, which we have been threatening to do for a few weeks now.  We have not had the luck and I thought it was going to go against us again when Kris Boyd hit the post. Five huge games coming up . I won't change my tune. What other teams do we can't affect until we play against them, so we just have to concentrate on our results. Five huge games coming up now from the split and it is in our hands because if we beat the teams in and around us it gives us an opportunity to get above them and get out of the position we are in."


Hotshots | League Table | Squad | Fixtures


All images © Sandy Ferguson and should not be reproduced without his permission

Image Gallery

Share this page: