2017 World Athletics Championships

skygod

Tickets go on sale today, if anyone is interested.

Prices range from £20 (Friday morning session) to £155 for the weekend evening sessions. I've applied for the morning and evening sessions on Saturday 12 August. Having missed out on the 2012 athletics, I'm going for this one! 

Top price for the ParaAthletics is just £45.

Closing date is 20.17 on 29 August 2016.

Edited by skygod

Cheers for pointing this out. I had totally missed this.

I've gone for;
4th Aug(men's 10k and 100m first round)
5th (men's 100m semis and final and long jump)
12th (men's 5k, Decathlon, high jump women's 200m).

They asked for nationality so I put down nationality as New Zealand because that totally sounds like they need to give a certain amount to foreign people.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I'm going to both sessions on Saturday! Woo-hoo!

I love how the Brit pundits on BBC    give it the sob story about how Jimmy or Jenny did so well to come 6th or 7th, while Michael Johnson just says "Not good enough"!

He must get embarrassed having to analyse performances by British athletes which are, by these high standards, mediocre. 

11 hours ago, skygod said:

Tactically very poor by Laura Muir, I thought. 

Aye ok Brendan.

She missed out on bronze by seven hundredths of a second in her first World Championship Final in a race where the World Record holder finished in 12th and one of the big favourites fifth.

Yes she slowed it down to much in the second lap but the simple fact is you don't know how she felt at that stage and she may well have known herself she needed that to giver her a chance of a strong finish.

You can say she reacted a little slowly to the break away but then look how well Dibaba reacted, and where did she finish?

She's only 24 so if she keeps progressing as she has been then she will win a global medal.

Just as a wee side, she also handled herself very well when asked her opinion on Semenya refusing to get drawn into it “I really don’t have time for nonsense,” she said. “I do not think about something that might happen in eight months. I don’t focus on the IAAF. It’s not my business. My business is to train hard and see what I come up with in competition.”

She's great.

1 hour ago, Merk said:

Aye ok Brendan.

She missed out on bronze by seven hundredths of a second in her first World Championship Final in a race where the World Record holder finished in 12th and one of the big favourites fifth.

Yes she slowed it down to much in the second lap but the simple fact is you don't know how she felt at that stage and she may well have known herself she needed that to giver her a chance of a strong finish.

You can say she reacted a little slowly to the break away but then look how well Dibaba reacted, and where did she finish?

She's only 24 so if she keeps progressing as she has been then she will win a global medal.

Just as a wee side, she also handled herself very well when asked her opinion on Semenya refusing to get drawn into it “I really don’t have time for nonsense,” she said. “I do not think about something that might happen in eight months. I don’t focus on the IAAF. It’s not my business. My business is to train hard and see what I come up with in competition.”

She's great.

No wonder Amy has taken up running. She probably doesn't want to leave you in the same room as Muir!

15 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

No wonder Amy has taken up running. She probably doesn't want to leave you in the same room as Muir!

Bit young for me :ph34r: Dead nice lassie though, been at the Emirates when she's been training a couple of times and she will always chat away and even after she smashed the indoor record in January she was happy to talk to everyone and anyone.

Edited by Merk

Was it just me or did the American Simpson barge past Laura at the tail end of the 3rd lap. Nearly put her off the track. Laura then had to run round the outside. Are you allowed to just elbow another runner out of the road when there isn't the space there. Maybe she just needs to toughen up a bit & get the elbows out. at the end of the day she was still the 3rd fastest woman in the race.

27 minutes ago, harley said:

Was it just me or did the American Simpson barge past Laura at the tail end of the 3rd lap. Nearly put her off the track. Laura then had to run round the outside. Are you allowed to just elbow another runner out of the road when there isn't the space there. Maybe she just needs to toughen up a bit & get the elbows out. at the end of the day she was still the 3rd fastest woman in the race.

Simpson didn't do anything illegal, caught her while in her natural stride.  Look at Farah's race on Friday, he near got wiped a few times on the last lap.

On Tuesday, August 08, 2017 at 11:41 AM, Merk said:

Bit young for me :ph34r: Dead nice lassie though, been at the Emirates when she's been training a couple of times and she will always chat away and even after she smashed the indoor record in January she was happy to talk to everyone and anyone.

She even had a blether with the hedgehog mascot thing right after the race on Monday!

Relays were fantastic, although, whisper it, Neita stepped out of her lane just before she got the baton. 

Wonder how much Bolt was talked into doing the worlds? Seemed a tournament too far for him and a pretty sad ending. 

Mo Farah is just fantastic. What a haul of Olympic and World Champs 'doubles'. Though it hardly matters in the grand scheme of things, I've never understood the lack of recognition he gets in SPOTY.