Maybe The Trumpet was right in a funny sort of way....

gdevoy

I have been reviewing the top level information available to me on the spread and lethality of Covid-19. To my un-informed eye the spread and lethality seem at first sight to be fairly random, independent of the severity or otherwise of the lockdown measures and the availability of healthcare.

Until I considered one factor .....  standards of hygiene. Just how clatty are your countrymen (and women)? 

Germany and Austria are countries in Europe where I found the place was spotless, France and Italy on the other hand ...... It ties in with spread and lethality. Add in countries like Japan and South Korea and Spain and a pattern starts to emerge. So maybe The Trumpet was right about bleach. Just using lots of it though rather than injecting it. Maybe the answer is a cultural move towards higher standards of cleanliness.

Just a thought.

I’d suggest population density is the biggest factor. However the impact in high density areas can be mitigated with early and effective track, trace and isolate protocols, combined with hand hygiene, public health education and face masks. 

The countries with the worst outcomes are the ones who dithered and sent out mixed messages. 

Just wish we had moved quicker, as we were free to go our own way. At least, after pressure, we didn’t go ahead with the OF game on the Sunday. Couldn’t understand, like most people, why we were waiting till Monday. Also, better not to sweep COVID outbreaks under the carpet and dump infected people into cate homes. We do have terrible figure for a country with five million people with a large land mass in relation to that. Maybe part of the problem is a lazy/frightened media who collate videos of young children reciting praise for “Nicola” rather that doing their job. Imagine for a second Boris was substituted for “Nicola”. Their would be outrage and rightly so. Not here, though. Absolutely shocking situation. 

2245FBEE-89B2-4039-A0BB-A7461B7D182F.jpeg.a99d320bad182d0385dad7ddb1911944.jpeg

2C652E25-6470-4D26-BD21-1AA78FE0A123.jpeg.c96f4b4333f7393d3d8b50affd432023.jpeg

FC97B01E-7255-4EDC-AFAF-39460CA21FF1.png.fa772408679736bd6559fb378682ee62.png

1B9F9E88-180B-47B3-8A66-7921E01E94F5.png.162a5ae05dc5a33253fc71c7967fc1e4.png

17 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Just wish we had moved quicker, as we were free to go our own way. At least, after pressure, we didn’t go ahead with the OF game on the Sunday. Couldn’t understand, like most people, why we were waiting till Monday. Also, better not to sweep COVID outbreaks under the carpet and dump infected people into cate homes. We do have terrible figure for a country with five million people with a large land mass in relation to that. Maybe part of the problem is a lazy/frightened media who collate videos of young children reciting praise for “Nicola” rather that doing their job. Imagine for a second Boris was substituted for “Nicola”. Their would be outrage and rightly so. Not here, though. Absolutely shocking situation. 

Why arent YOU ok the other pages criticising the cluster f**k at WM. Instead as usual you're trawling and trolling for SNP bad mince.

You're an absolute embarrassment, constantly belittling the FM and Scotlsnf and silent on the UK shambles.  Are you Jackson Carlaw in disguise.

Christ even Douglas Ross has shown lore integrity than you in this whole situation. Yoi should be embarrassed, bit you've that much if a brass neck and hypocritical view you wont be.

Edited by Beaker71

1 hour ago, Mclean07 said:

Open racism......dirty foreigners.......Wow. How does Scotland for in, too, or were we not smelly like the French and the Italians? Does Greece fit the model? 

Bizarre? 

How is saying, on a visit to Germany I found the country generally cleaner than my visit to Italy "racist"? How us referring to a Chris Tarrent observation that he felt he could eat his tea of the navy floor on a Japanese train racist? 

19 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Yip that's it, our Covid19 infection and mortality rate can be directly attributed to a throwaway vox pop on STV. How could we all have been so blind?

The poll currently on the BBC suggests that the vast majority of Scots are satisfied with the SGs response to the epidemic.  Do you not agree that Nicola Sturgeon has shown greater Leadership than Boris Johnson?

As to the timing of the lockdown, there was an initial 4 nation approach which I would presume was to ensure a consistent message was conveyed. As is also being highlighted this was evidently the wrong call - but it seems in line with a joint approach determined by the COBRA Committee.  Seems to me our desire to comply with their wishes prevented us from taking our own lead on the matter - a decision that NS now probably regrets.

27 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

How is saying, on a visit to Germany I found the country generally cleaner than my visit to Italy "racist"? How us referring to a Chris Tarrent observation that he felt he could eat his tea of the navy floor on a Japanese train racist? 

I don't think it is racist, was it racist for people to be in uproar when signs of fly tipping KFC packing were seen all over the county last week?, no it was highlighting that perhaps as a nation we are not as tidy focussed as others.

When i was project managing direct supply of electro/mechanical product from a Japanese manufacturer, my boss (decades of experience) told me, be very respectful to the Japanese, they don't like us, we are not clean enough for their way of life. I didn't take that as being a racist, instead I looked at what he could possibly mean, and didn't need to go out my office to see why, improvements were made for their visit.

This was nearly twenty years ago and I'm sure others have different experiences, but that "auld dinosaur" allowed me to improve how our first impression would look to our "partners".

Relevant to Covid 19 ? nah, that is purely down to lack of initial response and public attitude. IMO

I've found most places I've been to abroad cleaner and tidier than here. Northern France seemed particularly well kept. For me the whole debacle has been caused by WM dithering complacency, incompetence with respect to care homes, an over reliance on scientific, rather than common sense advice and also a high degree of "we know best" arrogance. 

Re McLean. It doesnt matter how much the SNP is slagged off, we will always be dragged along by the UK and heavily influenced by them til we are independent. Any other party running Scotland would be in exactly the same position albeit possibly worse. If,  god forbid, there is another war  somewhere Scotland politically may not agree with, such as Iraq, as part of UK, we will be in it, like it or not. If Trident renewed, f**k all we can do about it. If things go tits up with Brexit and skirmishing and tension on the fishing front, f**k all we can do about it but of course McLean will no doubt still find SNP blame somewhere. 

Edited by Shropshire_killie
Punctuation

The standard of cleanliness in Italy is variable. Limone on Lake Garda was hoachin' with tourists but spotless, the road up to Vesuvius, however, was covered in rubbish dumped by the side of the road. The area beside the Vatican was like Cadonas shows, all sorts of tat being flogged to the tourists. I don't get the remarks about the Japanese, I've never met a friendlier bunch of people, went out of their way to help us and were amazingly polite. The British are a manky bunch, wherever there is a crowd you'll find litter scattered on the pavements. I've no idea what that has to do with the spread of coronavirus though.

3 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

The old age pensioners won’t be doing a thank you message to wee burnie will they 

1 hour ago, DrewWylie said:

The old age pensioners won’t be doing a thank you message to wee burnie will they 

Absolute bellend of a comment.  Why don't you criticise the UK shambles as well.  But no it's all rule Britannia bollox from you,  why dont you head off to ibrox.

Edited by Beaker71

4 hours ago, Wrangodog said:

I don't get the remarks about the Japanese, I've never met a friendlier bunch of people, went out of their way to help us and were amazingly polite. 

Hence I said that it was 20 years ago, and as I said, we were trying to get Preferred Distributor Status where we would be the face of their brand, when they go the full mile to be spotless, meticulous and professional I cannot see them wanting to go into business with any partner that does not meet their standards.

Time has changed greatly though, well, apart from them being spotless and Britain not so much. They now need to adapt to meet the tourist requirements and supply of industry to a previously distant Western economy. I experienced a more stern and expectant entourage.

My friends who went to RWC last year experienced the same as you, but then they were the customers and spending an absolute fortune.

9 hours ago, Zorro said:

I’d suggest population density is the biggest factor.

Average temperature/humidity seems to be a big factor too.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8358397/Coronavirus-likely-spread-five-15-degrees-Celsius-study-finds.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ico=taboola_feed_desktop_news

The researchers said they were hoping to better understand the virus's transmission pattern by learning about the environment in which the killer pathogen could survive more easily. Their research shows that the ideal temperatures for the virus's transmission are between five and 15 degrees Celsius or 41 to 59 degrees Fahrenheit.

More than 60 per cent of the confirmed global COVID-19 infections were registered in the temperature range, according to a social media post from the university. 

The study was carried out based on the data of approximately 3.75million global confirmed COVID-19 cases in 185 countries and regions from January 21 to May 6, Xinhua reported.  The experts also found that the virus's transmission rates were linked to an area's humidity.

Around 73.8 per cent of the diagnosed cases were concentrated in regions with an absolute humidity of three to 10 grams in each cubic meter, said a report of the study from state news agency Xinhua.

13 hours ago, killie billies pal said:

Hence I said that it was 20 years ago, and as I said, we were trying to get Preferred Distributor Status where we would be the face of their brand, when they go the full mile to be spotless, meticulous and professional I cannot see them wanting to go into business with any partner that does not meet their standards.

Time has changed greatly though, well, apart from them being spotless and Britain not so much. They now need to adapt to meet the tourist requirements and supply of industry to a previously distant Western economy. I experienced a more stern and expectant entourage.

My friends who went to RWC last year experienced the same as you, but then they were the customers and spending an absolute fortune.

C'mon, a want a' youse to change yer socks, we're going for Preferred Distributor Status.

On 5/26/2020 at 8:05 AM, Mclean07 said:

Even during a pandemic you want to hunt through Twitter to find unionist bile, comparing Nicola Sturgeon to Kim? Utterly bonkers, even by your standards