Testing machine

PrestersKtid

It will cost approximately £100 per player, per week to test Kilmarnock's squad for coronavirus.

First-team stars are preparing to return to training next week as they aim to get ready for the new season kicking off on Saturday, August 1.

Players will be tested twice a week as they return to training, which will be in smaller groups with no contact initially.

Cathy Jamieson updated Trust in Killie subscribers, saying: "With SPFL Premiership football now scheduled to return, albeit behind closed doors at the outset, there is now a sense of momentum as we plan for the return.

"The last few weeks have seen numerous calls involving SPFL clubs, and various working groups looking at the logistics of the return, what safety measures need to be put in place, and how training can resume.

"First-team players will return to training week commencing June 15. Their furlough period will end at that time and the club will resume full responsibility for their wages, with no further support via the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. Other staff, however, may remain on furlough."

Cathy added: "The initial phase will be non-contact training. Measures will be put in place to take players’ temperatures on arrival as a precaution, as well as to ensure that there is minimal contact except on the pitch. Other safeguards will include use of sanitizing equipment and ensuring parking and entry arrangements aid social distancing.

"There will be no access to the pitch except for essential staff, and non-football staff will work from temporary arrangements in the Park Suite, again to ensure that social distancing measures can be adhered to.

"The club has made arrangements for the twice-weekly COVID-19 testing to take place as required, in co-operation with other clubs, to ensure that the most cost-effective solution is put in place. With an estimated cost of £100 per player, per week for the tests, it is not an insignificant sum."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/kilmarnock-coronavirus-testing-costs-revealed-22162804

Edited by jazza

22 minutes ago, jazza said:

It will cost approximately £100 per player, per week to test Kilmarnock's squad for coronavirus.

First-team stars are preparing to return to training next week as they aim to get ready for the new season kicking off on Saturday, August 1.

Players will be tested twice a week as they return to training, which will be in smaller groups with no contact initially.

Cathy Jamieson updated Trust in Killie subscribers, saying: "With SPFL Premiership football now scheduled to return, albeit behind closed doors at the outset, there is now a sense of momentum as we plan for the return.

"The last few weeks have seen numerous calls involving SPFL clubs, and various working groups looking at the logistics of the return, what safety measures need to be put in place, and how training can resume.

"First-team players will return to training week commencing June 15. Their furlough period will end at that time and the club will resume full responsibility for their wages, with no further support via the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. Other staff, however, may remain on furlough."

Cathy added: "The initial phase will be non-contact training. Measures will be put in place to take players’ temperatures on arrival as a precaution, as well as to ensure that there is minimal contact except on the pitch. Other safeguards will include use of sanitizing equipment and ensuring parking and entry arrangements aid social distancing.

"There will be no access to the pitch except for essential staff, and non-football staff will work from temporary arrangements in the Park Suite, again to ensure that social distancing measures can be adhered to.

"The club has made arrangements for the twice-weekly COVID-19 testing to take place as required, in co-operation with other clubs, to ensure that the most cost-effective solution is put in place. With an estimated cost of £100 per player, per week for the tests, it is not an insignificant sum."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/kilmarnock-coronavirus-testing-costs-revealed-22162804

£100 a player per test, twice a week

I like how this starts out with one cost and then it’s incredibly doubled by the end. 

the cost begins as £100 a player a week and ends with £100 Per test, per player so £200 a week. 

Let’s just make it up as we go! Yay! 

2 hours ago, jazza said:

£100 a player per test, twice a week

Your at it ........

On 6/8/2020 at 8:56 AM, CardinalSpin said:

The PCR analysers don't do the tests themselves, you have to take into account the kits/reagents, quality control materials, callibrators, containment facilities, protective gear, a qualified Biomedical Scientist, access to Consultant Pathologist, utility costs, the list goes on. You can get to £50 a test quite quickly.

Yes sadly the machines aren't quite as automated as the movies and TV shows indicate.

I did spot that Ross County has bought their PCR machine. It said it was from South Korea. A couple of months ago NHS scotland had indicated they were getting some machines in from South Korea so not sure if it's the same company or not. I couldn't find the details however the interesting part of the interview was the Ross County chairman was saying someone from the company was going to spend time with them and show them how to use it. Their costs will be vastly reduced over time.

How long do they envisage having to test players/staff twice a week for? £100 per player per week. Squad of 25 gets you to £25k in 10 weeks ( i did that in my own head!) 

8 minutes ago, psv_killie said:

Yes sadly the machines aren't quite as automated as the movies and TV shows indicate.

I did spot that Ross County has bought their PCR machine. It said it was from South Korea. A couple of months ago NHS scotland had indicated they were getting some machines in from South Korea so not sure if it's the same company or not. I couldn't find the details however the interesting part of the interview was the Ross County chairman was saying someone from the company was going to spend time with them and show them how to use it. Their costs will be vastly reduced over time.

How long do they envisage having to test players/staff twice a week for? £100 per player per week. Squad of 25 gets you to £25k in 10 weeks ( i did that in my own head!) 

Will we need squads of 25 with no reserve league ? 

3 minutes ago, aldo said:

What's the testing capacity of a single machine? Surely a few clubs could club together and use a single one cutting costs?

Depends on the machine. The one i spoke about earlier on can do 16 at a time but there is one that can do 32. Going above those numbers and the cost of the machines start getting pricey.

2 minutes ago, psv_killie said:

Depends on the machine. The one i spoke about earlier on can do 16 at a time but there is one that can do 32. Going above those numbers and the cost of the machines start getting pricey.

Is that per day? Or can they do several batches a day?

48 minutes ago, aldo said:

Is that per day? Or can they do several batches a day?

thats per run. i'm unsure how long it takes to perform each run. i've seen some articles that say average of 2 hours but it would depend on the specifics of the machine being used. i'll have a look tonight and see if i can find anything or maybe someone else on here already has that knowledge. 

i was struggling to find the information of how long it takes to run each test so i pinged them an email and got a phone call back.  It takes approx 2 hours to run with their current test which is 100% specific and 100% sensitive. There is a newer test coming out which would bring down the testing cycle time to approx 1h 30m. The machines can run continuously if required, doesn't need downtime.

I asked about the machine and as CardinalSpin indicated it does require a lab/clean room and experience running these tests however they did mention they have received orders from employers and workplaces who are keen to start their own testing. Also mentioned they have field scientists who can help set-up and train.

The test themselves are sold in kits which brings each individual test to around £8 - 9 each however as above and already mentioned it does require a qPCR test machine and the correct setting and training.

If the club aren't keen on setting up their own testing capability like Ross County then they'd have to go for the private testing option which over time looks to be quite expensive. I'd expect the private testing to drop in price though as this continues.