Black Lives Matter

Killieboykfc

I'm ambivalent about these marches today. On one hand, I think it's unwise to take part in such large gatherings without any social distancing. I would have gone myself otherwise.

On the other hand, it was good to see so many people ignoring Priti Patel. 

Edited by skygod

1 hour ago, skygod said:

I'm ambivalent about these marches today. On one hand, I think it's unwise to take part in such large gatherings without any social distancing. I would have gone myself otherwise.

On the other hand, it was good to see so many people ignoring Priti Patel. 

Hear, Hear

8 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Do all lives not matter?

This argument does my box in.  Of course they do but heres the situation.

Black and other non white Americans Re being institutionally disadvantaged.  They are stopped by police for non reason and shot, for no reason other than the colour of their skin.  Police can be caught on camera beating them to death and the police walk free.

So do all lives matter, yes, but sometimes a group or race needs to be focussed upon because of the ill treatment they are having dishes out to them and upon them.

Btw I agree on the marches being I'll advised and in effect illegal die to covid laws.

Edited by Beaker71

1 hour ago, Gazza said:

Do all lives not matter? Surely no one should be out mass protesting just now

I think the full slogan is meant to be black lives matter as much as white. But that might sound a bit racist.

IMO all lives matter. And tooling up the polis without just cause casts this idea into serious doubt.

Edited by gdevoy

10 hours ago, skygod said:

The police have the power to ban marches. It undermines the argument to ban crowds from football matches when they allow these marches to take place.

Can you really imagine what would have happened if they had banned the marches ? That was never going to happen in the current climate. 

Which current climate would that be?

The BLM one, or the Covid-19 one?  

The one which says, “They will be mightily pissed off if we stop them exercising their democratic right of free assembly”?

Or the one which says, “They will be sorry they did this when they’re in ICU”? 

I don’t mind them exposing themselves but it’s unfair to everyone else who might become infected, not least the police officers. 

7 minutes ago, skygod said:

Which current climate would that be?

The BLM one, or the Covid-19 one?  

The one which says, “They will be mightily pissed off if we stop them exercising their democratic right of free assembly”?

Or the one which says, “They will be sorry they did this when they’re in ICU”? 

I don’t mind them exposing themselves but it’s unfair to everyone else who might become infected, not least the police officers. 

Yes it is, but the police stopping a march about police brutality against black people in the US was never going to happen was it ? I don't know if there is actually a public order law that could have been invoked for Covid-19 anyway. In most cases of non adherence to the lockdown the police have only been able to advise people because there is no law in place to cover non-obeyance. 

11 hours ago, gdevoy said:

I think the full slogan is meant to be black lives matter as much as white. But that might sound a bit racist.

IMO all lives matter. And tooling up the polis without just cause casts this idea into serious doubt.

Thats missing the point completely. This isnt about white people. White people arent routinely harassed because of their skin colour. White people arent born into a life of disadvantage because pf their skin colour. Black people are. Nowhere more so than the USA. But lets not think we dont have a problem on this island as well. 

12 hours ago, Gazza said:

Do all lives not matter? Surely no one should be out mass protesting just now

To an extent I agree. This should have been organised to be limited in numbers and show social distancing. But these things will always attract a stupid element. Look at the looting in the USA. Thats not the protesters. 

Also if they dont do something now you've totally missed the boat for change...... again. 

Bit of a catch 22 to be fair. 

Many great comments on here regarding the BLM movement. It is possible, of course, to fully support the sentiments the protesters and say that the mass protests are ill advised in the current situation. Given that BAME people seem particularly vulnerable to COVID, common sense says you find another way to protest in the current situation.

One of the positive outcomes in the media over the last few days in Scotland has been the discussion about the complacency over racism in Scotland. Stuart Cosgrove and Professor Eamonn O’Neill (both Indy supporters) were discussing the wealth that exists in Scotland built on the slave trade and the black man who died in police custody in Kirkcaldy which, they said, had been largely swept under the carpet, as the Scottish media is reluctant to call out racism in Scotland. 

Given that that people most likely to know about racism are BAME, I have attached some reminders of how they feel. We have seen the usual exceptionalism mooted on here again recently about Scotland being more welcoming. I would have thought it would be difficult not to be welcoming given we are 96% white, so there’s hardly anyone to welcome. Despite the constant portrayal of England as being more racist BAME people seem to overwhelmingly prefer it, with a proportion of the population of 15%. And it’s not just in the south and London as some tried to claim. As an example Burnley has a non white population percentage of 13%. Paisley, a similar sized town has 2%.

Lets await the “ye hate Scoatland”, ‘Whit’s this tae dae wi Svoatland” or Beaker’s favourite analytical line “everybody Ken’s Scoatland is mair tolerations”. The black voices below doesn’t think so, and I take it they know better that a wee white nationalist bubble. 

9F7529A5-3B15-4254-ADA1-F25406F2A21B.jpeg.7aaba1013dcc0219bc8e154f71625e7c.jpeg

9FB0B8DA-EA36-4C4B-A797-72F26C7C42C5.jpeg.eb86d400103e108dc330d26b0fd1db73.jpeg

100A8909-EEF4-4CF1-9EE0-233EE35CC1B2.jpeg.d1afac89bbb7ebadd50b4f26d0eee8d0.jpeg
B116851F-BCC7-433D-8301-1B0C21950B34.jpeg.62b7a6d0c8d226c44f77242f60b9c658.jpeg

6E351EA9-2CA1-4F4A-ACD9-937B4AFDD530.png.406e25cf6a22867d712a7eb45fa4fa9f.png
22103A0E-FC5F-4501-8605-DAB33B8C2032.png.562ca90cc7a64ceb02b1972bf8fe60cf.png

D83E7A29-C7F1-4ED6-B664-815B5E63E5C2.jpeg.393fec0a060e63847f37cc6953394091.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

I don't know if there is actually a public order law that could have been invoked for Covid-19 anyway.

Chief Constables have the power to ban, curtail, reroute or limit the number taking part in marches under the Public OrderAct 1986.

52 minutes ago, skygod said:

Chief Constables have the power to ban, curtail, reroute or limit the number taking part in marches under the Public OrderAct 1986.

If anyone was going to make the decision to call off the march it should have been the government. They didn't need to call it off anyway, the numbers could have been limited with social distancing, but like the rest of their response to the pandemic, they did nothing. 

3 hours ago, skygod said:

Try expressing that view publicly and you will instantly be called a racist and an apologiist for white supremacists.

4 hours ago, cammy_boy said:

Thats missing the point completely. This isnt about white people. White people arent routinely harassed because of their skin colour. White people arent born into a life of disadvantage because pf their skin colour. Black people are. Nowhere more so than the USA. But lets not think we dont have a problem on this island as well. 

I know there are similar issues right here. My point was that those issues get raised to a whole new level when police can use lethal force with so little oversight.