Black Lives Matter

Killieboykfc

2 hours ago, DrewWylie said:

Imagine if thousands of football fans had congregated like that there would’ve been arrests galore 

There’s a difference between people marching and gathering to try and fight and protest for civil liberties and rights of black people and a bunch of c**ts gathering to go to something completely insignificant like a football match. 

It’s a completely pointless argument as well because there isn’t even any football matches or sporting events being played just now that the public can attend so you’ve literally just posted that to take away from the actual cause and make it all about you  

Hardly surprised you are the one to come out with the worst take possible from this though. 

Beaches all over the U.K. packed last week with sunbathers, nothing said. Roads gridlocked with people waiting on their fast food fix, silence. Packed underground trains, not a sound. Queues for DIY stores which stretch around the retail parks, nada. Activists standing up for civil liberties “ it’s a disgrace”. What a wonderful society we live in. 

30 minutes ago, Zorro said:

Beaches all over the U.K. packed last week with sunbathers, nothing said. Roads gridlocked with people waiting on their fast food fix, silence. Packed underground trains, not a sound. Queues for DIY stores which stretch around the retail parks, nada. Activists standing up for civil liberties “ it’s a disgrace”. What a wonderful society we live in. 

Hit the nail on the head. 

Demonstrators think that they have momentum and the risk is worth the reward. 

Some might think the timing is bad and they are being foolish but you have to give credit for their optimism. If nothing else, Edward Colston's statue won't be getting re-erected!  

Edited by skygod

34 minutes ago, Zorro said:

Silence my arse.

it was all over the news. Social media, print and television.

these “protest marches” today are nothing but a slap in the face to the NHS.

26 minutes ago, Twonky65 said:

Silence my arse.

it was all over the news. Social media, print and television.

I don’t feel like I’ve been slapped in the face and I have colleagues who’ve attended these protests who don’t feel slapped either. My BAME friends feel racism impacts more upon their lives than coronavirus and that’s why they made a stand. Perhaps more surprisingly, many of my white female colleagues joined them in solidarity as mothers. Thanks for being outraged on our behalf though. 

@ZorroIt's divisive nonsense for that Dr to suggest there was 'no outrage' due to VE Day parties, or people flocking to beaches.  Utter mince.  Is a tragic reflection of our times and culture, when educated people seek to use race in such a simplistic manner.

Twitter opinion was really getting fired into the VE celebrations, I suppose that could be because most of the people I follow tend to be Killie/SNP supporters. The only criticism I have of the protests was that some people weren't wearing masks, although most of the people  in Edinburgh and Glasgow did seem to be wearing them. 

2 hours ago, Twonky65 said:

Really? The slap in the face to the NHS was Dominic Cummings blatantly lying and breaking his and Johnsons own rules to the detriment of all and disgustingly getting absolutely away with it.  The slap in the face to the nhs were all the arseholes with their hampers queuing to get onto the beach in Dorset etc. The slap in the face is Johnson and his cronies criticising low paid immigrant workers many of whom who work for the NHS. I could go on...

43 minutes ago, RAG said:

@ZorroIt's divisive nonsense for that Dr to suggest there was 'no outrage' due to VE Day parties, or people flocking to beaches.  Utter mince.  Is a tragic reflection of our times and culture, when educated people seek to use race in such a simplistic manner.

Just because your reality isn’t the same as there’s, doesn’t mean there’s is nonsense. Perhaps if you’d lived their reality you’d have more understanding.

1 minute ago, Zorro said:

Just because your reality isn’t the same as there’s, doesn’t mean there’s is nonsense. Perhaps if you’d lived their reality you’d have more understanding.

Don't you mean 'twitter bubble'.  Seems more appropriate than 'reality' in this instance..

1 minute ago, Zorro said:

If you feel that’s your reality, who am I to judge?

I'm not an American citizen, I'm not BAME and I've no stake in inherently institiutionally racist, divisive, Americanised culture norms either - I'm begining to think 'twitter' may be another of them!

8 minutes ago, RAG said:

I'm not an American citizen, I'm not BAME and I've no stake in inherently institiutionally racist, divisive, Americanised culture norms either - I'm begining to think 'twitter' may be another of them!

Inherently institutionally racist culture norms are not just an American phenomenon. Many U.K. citizens suffer these ‘norms’ on a daily basis. Sorry if that doesn’t agree with your simplistic world view. 

9 minutes ago, Zorro said:

Inherently institutionally racist culture norms are not just an American phenomenon. Many U.K. citizens suffer these ‘norms’ on a daily basis. Sorry if that doesn’t agree with your simplistic world view. 

A risible and inflammatory jibe I'm not gonna bother about on a Sunday!

UK institutions are equally as likely to discriminate against people on basis of; sex, class, nationality or religion, as much as they are by race.

Obviously race is THE dividing line in the USA, UK institutions traditionally discriminate along different lines.

Besides, I don't see folk out on the streets complaining about foreigners being made to register after Brexit.  Clearly there's a certain element of, 'my racism is more socially acceptable than your racism' in British society, in 2020.

4 hours ago, Killieboykfc said:

Did you sign the petitions? You know the things that don’t actually involve you having to leave your house if you’re that worried about COVID? 

No never even looked at them no intention to either, people being told they are not allowed to go funerals of family etc but it’s ok for thousands to go protesting without social distancing anyone that was that protest should tell the NHS workers where they were if they catch it black, white whatever see what they think.

3 hours ago, RAG said:

A risible and inflammatory jibe I'm not gonna bother about on a Sunday!

UK institutions are equally as likely to discriminate against people on basis of; sex, class, nationality or religion, as much as they are by race.

Obviously race is THE dividing line in the USA, UK institutions traditionally discriminate along different lines.

Besides, I don't see folk out on the streets complaining about foreigners being made to register after Brexit.  Clearly there's a certain element of, 'my racism is more socially acceptable than your racism' in British society, in 2020.

Oh as long as loads of sections of society are being discriminated against in good old Blighty, my mind is all turned around on this. What was I thinking hoping everyone could be treated equally. Thank f**k we’re both not both catholic, Black, Nigerian, working class, women, eh? They totally deserve it and It’s always good for morale To have people to look down on. It stops us looking up at the real problem  

However, I’m not sure where your Brexit theory comes from. I’ve seen plenty of people and marches stating Brexit is stupid and ending freedom of movement even stupider. Never let facts get in the way of trying to make a point though. 

Edited by Zorro

45 minutes ago, Zorro said:

Oh as long as loads of sections of society are being discriminated against in good old Blighty, my mind is all turned around on this. What was I thinking hoping everyone could be treated equally. Thank f**k we’re both not both catholic, Black, Nigerian, working class, women, eh? They totally deserve it and It’s always good for morale To have people to look down on. It stops us looking up at the real problem  

However, I’m not sure where your Brexit theory comes from. I’ve seen plenty of people and marches stating Brexit is stupid and ending freedom of movement even stupider. Never let facts get in the way of trying to make a point though. 

There's been anti-Brexit marches, but no large scale marches specifically against the racist interpretation of Brexit currently being pursued by the government, making millions of residents register on basis of them being 'foreigners'.

Obviously the divisions into various repressed groupings in the UK, support the rather limited % of people that are actually upper class.  

At this particular point in British history we should be very aware of that.

People should be treated equally, which is why it's populist hypocrisy for any Tory to claim 'Black lives matter' but 'Germans have to register, by Dec 31st'.

1 hour ago, RAG said:

There's been anti-Brexit marches, but no large scale marches specifically against the racist interpretation of Brexit currently being pursued by the government, making millions of residents register on basis of them being 'foreigners'.

Obviously the divisions into various repressed groupings in the UK, support the rather limited % of people that are actually upper class.  

At this particular point in British history we should be very aware of that.

People should be treated equally, which is why it's populist hypocrisy for any Tory to claim 'Black lives matter' but 'Germans have to register, by Dec 31st'.

If you’ve only just noticed that the Brexit project was based on racism and xenophobia, you haven’t been paying attention. 

It can be difficult for people to understand why a race of people who have been repressed for over 400 years, jailed at a higher rate than any other race, killed by a militarized police more often than any other race, you might not give a f**k about a pandemic and hit the streets. A pandemic that is killing more people of your race than any other due to a health system that favours the rich/whiter in society. People in the UK are standing with them. Game was a bogey once the Tories backed Cummings breaking the rules